Sony announces 1st full-frame global shutter camera

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Does anyone know if there are two versions of the RX100/5? 

Yes as wim says.  The one I just sold was the VA. It has some upgraded features over the original V. 

• Thanks 1

On 09/11/2023 at 16:54, Allan Bell said:

I'm leaning more to my RX100/7 for stock these days.

Wondering what to do with the two A6500 bodies and the Tamron 11 - 20mm and the Sigma 18-50mm lenses and the Sony 18 - 135 lens. all getting less and less use.

I know they can go in my display case in the office.

Allan

Getting longer in the tooth I also find myself preferring the lightweight RX100V when any significant walking is involved. I still prefer to use the a6500 with my collection of manual focus lenses - image quality guaranteed - but needs must.  We've just got back from a trip to the Lake District, fabulous weather and autumn colours, and all of the RX shots are usable, with a bit of noise reduction or downsizing in a few instances.  Years ago I hauled a Canon 5D with lenses up Helvellyn, but those days have long gone. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Getting longer in the tooth I also find myself preferring the lightweight RX100V when any significant walking is involved. I still prefer to use the a6500 with my collection of manual focus lenses - image quality guaranteed - but needs must.  We've just got back from a trip to the Lake District, fabulous weather and autumn colours, and all of the RX shots are usable, with a bit of noise reduction or downsizing in a few instances.  Years ago I hauled a Canon 5D with lenses up Helvellyn, but those days have long gone. 

I still enjoy using my old Minolta manual focus prime lenses now and then. They have become rather expensive here. Ones that were going for CAN $40 a few years ago can now cost three or four times that much. I guess they have become novelty items. Just wondering, how well does the 6500's in-camera IS work with your MF lenses? Stabilization is what I miss most when using my old lenses on the a6000 and NEX-6. My hands aren't as steady as they used to be.

28 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I still enjoy using my old Minolta manual focus prime lenses now and then. They have become rather expensive here. Ones that were going for CAN $40 a few years ago can now cost three or four times that much. I guess they have become novelty items. Just wondering, how well does the 6500's in-camera IS work with your MF lenses? Stabilization is what I miss most when using my old lenses on the a6000 and NEX-6. My hands aren't as steady as they used to be.

I've not carried out tests John, so can't give you a definitive answer. I religiously dial in the focal length before each shot and the photos are normally sharp, but you can't expect the impossible. Using a long lens you also need to up the shutter speed ! To be honest I quite enjoy the messing about that manual focus lenses require, it's reminiscent of the days of film, while the results are normally very good. For the type of low stress photography I do, the lack of autofocus is not usually a problem, while manual focus does normally guarantee sharp focus where you want it for every shot.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I've not carried out tests John, so can't give you a definitive answer. I religiously dial in the focal length before each shot and the photos are normally sharp, but you can't expect the impossible. Using a long lens you also need to up the shutter speed ! To be honest I quite enjoy the messing about that manual focus lenses require, it's reminiscent of the days of film, while the results are normally very good. For the type of low stress photography I do, the lack of autofocus is not usually a problem, while manual focus does normally guarantee sharp focus where you want it for every shot.

Thanks for the reply, Bryan. I'm not about to make any investments in expensive new equipment, but I was curious. I too like fiddling around with the old lenses. Most of my photography these days is for my own enjoyment, not so much for stock, so I'm certainly not in a rush. I keep my trusty NEX-6 (still going strong) set up for use with the old manual lenses. Glad I bought a couple of them when the price was right.

On 09/11/2023 at 11:54, Allan Bell said:

I'm leaning more to my RX100/7 for stock these days.

Wondering what to do with the two A6500 bodies and the Tamron 11 - 20mm and the Sigma 18-50mm lenses and the Sony 18 - 135 lens. all getting less and less use.

I know they can go in my display case in the office.

Allan

Or hold the door open, papers down.

9 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Or hold the door open, papers down.

Sorry Mr Nacke, or may I call you Chuck?

I am at a loss to understand your comment can you elucidate please?

BTW I used to like reading the articles you did for the Amateur Photographer back in the day.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

56 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

BTW I used to like reading the articles you did for the Amateur Photographer back in the day.

Allan

He means use the camera and lenses as a paper weight or a door prop

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

A simple solution would be to put them all in a box and mail them to me. 🎅🎁

Sorry I can't afford the postage and duty.

Allan

12 hours ago, Normspics said:

You wouldn’t pay duty, that would be John’s responsibility 

Yes you know that and I know that BUT does John know that.😉

Allan

On 14/11/2023 at 07:00, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Mr. Bell,  Yes you may call me Chuck.

Don't know the "articles" you referred to?

FYI Allan, Yes, I was talking about using the equipment as a doorstop.

Best,

Chuck

4 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Mr. Bell,  Yes you may call me Chuck.

Don't know the "articles" you referred to?

FYI Allan, Yes, I was talking about using the equipment as a doorstop.

Best,

Chuck

Thank you Chuck.

This is a strange thing as when I saw your name on the Alamy forums I new I had seen it in print somewhere before.

Thinking back I thought it was in connection with Amateur Photographer which I read quite a bit back in the later 1970's early 80's.

Maybe it was another Chuck Nacke but I can't think there are two people with your name but anything is possible.

Memory can play funny games with one as I get older.

Allan

8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Thank you Chuck.

This is a strange thing as when I saw your name on the Alamy forums I new I had seen it in print somewhere before.

Thinking back I thought it was in connection with Amateur Photographer which I read quite a bit back in the later 1970's early 80's.

Maybe it was another Chuck Nacke but I can't think there are two people with your name but anything is possible.

Memory can play funny games with one as I get older.

Allan

Allan, 

It was probably a piece that the old PHOTOFLEX company put together, it ran in a bunch of magazines, they even got 6 pages about me using their lighting equipment in the British Journal of Photography and I got a whole bunch of PHOTOFLEX gear that I still use, even have a 12-foot Octadome that I have only used twice to photograph caskets for a New England company. 

There is actually another Chuck Nacke who is a photographer, never met him and know nothing about him and i am thankful that he is not on Alamy.

So at least for now I can still say:

Chuck (the original one)

Edited by Chuck Nacke
grammer
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Allan, 

It was probably a piece that the old PHOTOFLEX company put together, it ran in a bunch of magazines, they even got 6 pages about me using their lighting equipment in the British Journal of Photography and I got a whole bunch of PHOTOFLEX gear that I still use, even have a 12-foot Octadome that I have only used twice to photograph caskets for a New England company. 

There is actually another Chuck Nacke who is a photographer, never met him and know nothing about him and i am thankful that he is not on Alamy.

So at least for now I can still say:

Chuck (the original one)

Definitely "The original one".

Allan