what to make of this contract travel photography offer?

not my cup of tea, now, but may interest others...?
not sure one can see this without sign-in;
is it a way to make money PLUS shoot stock...?

Sounds like very demanding work to me and I can't see where it says how much it pays. Whether the photographer could also shoot stock would depend on the nature of the contract and whether the employing company claims copyright of all photos taken because the photographer is a paid employee. It's all well outside my field of experience but I would want a lot more detail before I thought of applying.

3 hours ago, Gervais Montacute said:

Been there twice. Once 35 years ago and 3 years ago. It's been turned into a craphole.  I agree that NYC is probably not fit for animals today but years ago it was a very vibrant place.

I've been to Seattle a few times in the past few years. and my impression of the city is far different than a "craphole". yes, i'm well aware of the homeless problem and lawlessness problem in some areas, i can even map out the locations of some of the homeless encampments from memory in the downtown, and elsewhere including ballard, esp. that one homeless rv that later become a double decker homeless rv. but i can also map out from memory where they are test building solutions to the problems like a tiny village they built in the u district, which I expressly wanted to visit and photograph (which sold on alamy). seattle also is a place where new neon signs are made and used on a larger scale at a time when neon is basically dead elsewhere in the usa. but if you only visit one area in the city, then you aren't looking at the city as a whole. look beyond the downtown and visit the various neighborhoods. try west african and southeast asian cuisine at spice village in tukwilla, etc. one of the best bakeries, breweries, and best fish and chips pub are located a few blocks from each other in ballard. etc.

Edited by sooth

On 20/10/2023 at 20:57, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
not my cup of tea, now, but may interest others...?
not sure one can see this without sign-in;
is it a way to make money PLUS shoot stock...?

TCS here.

On Alamy. 3

Insta. 2107

Youtube. 68

Facebook.

Business Insider: $120,000 and up.

wim

Portland is a beautiful city. Neighborhoods filled with a lot of greenery, sidewalks with fruit trees, neighbors who plant native plants, trees  and a large variety of other plants instead of planting grass. as this is the pacific northwest with its rainforest like climate, beautiful mosses cover everything. Excellent transit system, more frequent and on time than places like NYC, or Seattle. Can get to the better hiking spots and the waterfalls of the Columbia gorge using public transportation. I don't have a car, took a bus, and did a quick trip hiking 30+ miles on eagle creek to see tunnel falls, and see the regrowth of the forest that burned down in the massive 2017 eagle creek fire

The food scene is very good. Some of the good ones are found among the many food pods scattered around the city. Ruthie's PDX is one of them, located at the backyard of a restaurant where i had a nice thick wood fire grilled pork chop with sauteed fennel, peaches, and basil. Asked the chef about the pork, and they mentioned it was a mangalitsa pig from a family friend. Such a dish would cost 4x in NYC, and u can't even buy this quality heritage meat in nyc unless u own a high end restaurant, or know somebody. Vietnamese food in Portland is good too,  there's a small deli in SE that makes Cao Lầu on Saturday, and likely the only place in the USA that has this dish available. Always get a pack of sourdough English muffins from the Mexican American owned bakery Dos Hermanos, maybe a strawberry with a touch of black pepper and balsamic vinegar ice cream at salt and straw if available. Good coffee, and also Vietnamese coffee. One of the few things that sadden me about Portland is the downtown area; Chinatown has virtually disappeared, and there is homeless everywhere. only tourists who give the city a cursory glance conclude Portland is a craphole, sad for these people.

For stock photography, I've sold fewer photos about Portland, compared with seattle. Regarding seattle... Boeing, Amazon, UPS, Microsoft and (nearby) Costco are founded and still have their hq there. These are the 5 companies the average American mass market consumer relys on the most. No other city comes close.

Edited by sooth

15 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Business Insider: $120,000 and up.

Thanks for link, mate !
Very upscale situation AFAICT
And  yet
geogphotos & Robert M Estall <===these 2 blokes
called it a scam.  Why?  WHY??!!!
why did they call it a scam...
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg

Jeff, because it ain't the opportunity to earn a little for a photographer it purports to be at the start, it's a very high end travel offering. That's fine if you want to travel that way and have deep pockets, but I don't see it as a way to pick up work in any way.

100 people have already applied.   Without knowing what they're thinking of paying, and how much control you have of the photos, it may be anything from an exposure gig with you paying your own airfare and hotel costs to work-for-hire with them holding all the copyrights to decent day rates but you bring or pay for renting gear, to decent day rates and all expenses covered.   Culture Club and some other sites pay sub $10, often sub $5 or lower yet. 

Worth doing would require a decent day rate, understanding about stock use being okayed, and the company paying for crew and rental gear.   (Thank you, Tin House for pointing out that places that want to pay in exposure generally don't have a large enough audience to expose you to anything worthwhile).

• Like 1