what to make of this contract travel photography offer?

No Ed. Lancaster isn't expensive at all. Indeed, Pennsylvania is filled with inexpensive places that have a high quality of life.  I've lived here for about eight years and would recommend it to all sorts of people. Certainly, it's much cheaper than New York or anyplace I've ever been in the UK.

Note that smaller places a few miles away are even cheaper, but we have things like transportation and culture that might be absent elsewhere. It all depends on what your needs are.

On a nice day like today, it's a pleasure to stroll the streets. Indeed, there was wandering street theater today - actors going from park to park putting on shows. After fourteen years in Edison, New Jersey, this is Paradise. (I know - there's an actual town called "Paradise" a few miles from here, that's another story.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Long long ago, I did a season of summer stock theater in the Amish area north of Philly. 

Wow, Amish and north of Philadelphia? That would be Montgomery County - far more suburban now - although I still think it's worth a visit. 

Lancaster and its very large (40,000+) Amish community are west of Philly. Like many places in Pennsylvania, we have a vibrant local theater scene.

17 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Tell me a city where things have gotten better in the last 10 years.

I have done a fair domestic U.S. travel over the last 20-30 years and I would say that most cities have gotten better with many new restaurants and cafes.  Also many cities have new cultural attractions and fun things to do.  But your question was about the last 10 years and to that I would say that since Covid, many places have sadly had to close, restaurant turnover is high everywhere.  But compared to the 70s and early 80s, places like Washington DC, Pittsburgh and Baltimore were barely worthwhile to go to.  Sure DC had the Smithsonian museums then but most of the downtown was a ghost town in the evenings, now it is super busy with people out about.  Baltimore you avoided at all costs, back in the day but now it is a great city to visit.  Sadly, tho crime is still a big problem in most U.S. cities and it always has been, you really have to be weary and not let your guard down.

23 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

I have lots of family in Lycoming and Sullivan counties. Pennsylvania is a beautiful state. I never realized how nice it was until I spent some time visiting. 

I didn't know that Lycoming and Sullivan counties had lots of people! They both seem really wild to me. 

29 minutes ago, Brian Yarvin said:

I didn't know that Lycoming and Sullivan counties had lots of people! They both seem really wild to me. 

Sullivan is pretty wild and sparsely populated, for sure, and Lycoming definitely has more people. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

Jeff, because it ain't the opportunity to earn a little for a photographer it purports to be at the start, it's a very high end travel offering. That's fine if you want to travel that way and have deep pockets, but I don't see it as a way to pick up work in any way.

The link is to a job offer, not selling plane tickets, AFAICS.

If that's what a job offer in photography looks like, I think flipping burgers would be more promising. And yes I have flipped burgers & picked fruit & mowed grass quite a few years back. Oh, and sold razor blades, lots & lots of razor blades in Australia! All good experiences, but not careers

Edited by Robert M Estall

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

The big plus I have here is healthcare from the NHS. They look after me and it's totally free. 

Ed, comparing specific details of living costs might be beyond my abilities, but it's always been my impression that the astronomical cost of energy and housing in the UK compensates for the astronomical cost of health care in Pennsylvania (where it's our biggest expense by far.) Actually, I have my suspicions, it may well be the British inclination to whinge when they can that gives their energy and real estate costs such a bad reputation. 

For many years, I said that I'd move to the UK just for the quality of broadcast television and regional beer, I think your TV has gone downhill though - a victim of YouTube I think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Actually, I have my suspicions, it may well be the British inclination to whinge when they can that gives their energy and real estate costs such a bad reputation. 

🤣 🤣 🤣....how to win friends and influence people......most other nationalities are quite complimentary about us Brits😉

• Like 1

What a weird thread  Are people too tired to back up what they are saying or were they just born old? Generalise and jump to a conclusion day. 

<QUOTES>

"double SCAM. complete bollocks!"

"Who in their right mind would go to Seattle." 

"Been there twice. Once 35 years ago and 3 years ago. It's been turned into a craphole."

" I agree that NYC is probably not fit for animals today but years ago it was a very vibrant place."

"I think your TV has gone downhill though - a victim of YouTube I think." Really at least  he said I think (twice) - 

"..... it may well be the British inclination to whinge when they can ... " Really

"most other nationalities are quite complimentary about us Brits" Really.

</QUOTES>

Edited by MDM

11 minutes ago, MDM said:

What a weird thread  Are people too tired to back up what they are saying or were they just born old? Generalise and jump to a conclusion day. 

Michael, this is internet discussion, not the defense of a dissertation or an argument in the Federal Court of Appeals. The whole purpose is to generalize and jump to conclusions. And as for me - a tired and grumpy old American with several even grumpier British relatives - this is my whole reason for being in the thread.

Is there something of a coded subtext here? Probably, but I'm not going to be the one digging around for it. 

Sadly, jumping to conclusions isn't yet an Olympic sport, so we have to settle for groups like this one. 

... and I just realized that your post is another whinge. Once again, the joke is on me.

29 minutes ago, MDM said:

"most other nationalities are quite complimentary about us Brits" Really.

The wink emoji ( 😉 ) didn't give you a clue, someone else seems to 'jump to a conclusion'