what to make of this contract travel photography offer?

Brian, pubs and the pub culture may be endangered due to Covid.

And the beer culture has changed. When I lived in Oxfordshire in the '80s, I drank Real Ale at cellar temperature and frosty larger in summer. Now all the beer is cold, even Guinness. I drink Czech pilsner at home. 

• Like 1

Ed, it's always interesting to see how these things change. Here in Pennsylvania, we see the opposite trend; people moving from big cities and suburbs to small cities and with that, evening and weekend trips to the pub - or in our case; "brewery." Is it great on a global level? I don't know. But it livens up the town in a way that didn't exist a decade or two ago.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Martin L said:

The wink emoji ( 😉 ) didn't give you a clue, someone else seems to 'jump to a conclusion'

HAHAHA. I get it now. HAHAHA. Sorry please forgive me for not getting the joke first time out.  Maybe I'm a bit dim. I promise I'll try to do better in future. However, I didn't jump to any conclusions nor make any generalisations. I asked a few questions in fact backed up by some quotes. So perhaps your apparent conclusion that I was jumping to conclusions could actually be another example of conclusion jumping? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MDM said:

HAHAHA. I get it now. HAHAHA. Sorry please forgive me for not getting the joke first time out.  Maybe I'm a bit dim. I promise I'll try to do better in future. However, I didn't jump to any conclusions nor make any generalisations. I asked a few questions in fact backed up by some quotes. So perhaps your apparent conclusion that I was jumping to conclusions could actually be another example of conclusion jumping? 

Apology accepted

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Michael, this is internet discussion, not the defense of a dissertation or an argument in the Federal Court of Appeals. The whole purpose is to generalize and jump to conclusions. And as for me - a tired and grumpy old American with several even grumpier British relatives - this is my whole reason for being in the thread.

Is there something of a coded subtext here? Probably, but I'm not going to be the one digging around for it. 

Sadly, jumping to conclusions isn't yet an Olympic sport, so we have to settle for groups like this one. 

... and I just realized that your post is another whinge. Once again, the joke is on me.

As I already said, my favorite sport.

Not sure what you mean about the joke being on you and the whinge thing. If you mean I was whinging at some sort national stereotyping of the British then I'm afraid you're wrong on both counts (not a whinge and I'm not British). 

I think we have different understandings of what the the whole purpose of the discussion is but I don't think it is "to generalize and jump to conclusions". I disagree but I do realise you were not being serious of course. In fact I just quoted you and Martin as filler for my quote sequence. However, some of the earlier comments about New York and Seattle I do see as mindless rants. I guess you could say I have a thing about mindless stereotyping in general so that might be the coded subtext you detected..

My favourite sport is football (soccer).

Edited by MDM