Selection and Licensing System is World's Worst on Alamy

I don't get angry over much, but this guy really gets my goat! Not only are all the scenes beatuiful and all the people gorgeous but there are 233 shots with the title "default", 350 with "photo" etc. 

Going to his first pages, the pictures are better, as are the captions (a little), but still all beautiful(!); and all the animals/birds are just that, not even a common name. The only mitigation I can give is that English is presumably not his first language.

Not sure why I'm even looking tbh, must be bored!

Hugh

Edited by StokeCreative
  • Like 6

I looked at one image. A still image of Bedford. Captioned 'footage'  - it isn't, that's just video - and keyworded Barcelona, Budapest, Florence, London, France, Spain, boat (there isn't one) bridge (there isn't one) capital (since when?) I could go on but have much better things to do

• Love 2

This QC system is necessary to maintain a level of quality of the images and forces contributors to pay attention to the smallest "technical" details during the editing process; nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 3

On 08/07/2023 at 12:30, John Morrison said:

I'm glad it's not my job to go through 28,000 pix and provide them all with appropriate captions and tags...

It would drive a man to drink....  🙂🍻🍻🍻

• Like 1

On 30/06/2023 at 19:15, NYCat said:

Your image of Bedford City is also tagged with four or five other cities... not in the UK. Your tagging is deplorable and hurts you and Alamy.

Paulette

Deplorable, Paulette?  I don't think those tags are that good.

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

It would drive a man to drink....  🙂🍻🍻🍻

Wa'stha' yashay?

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Deplorable, Paulette?  I don't think those tags are that good.

Maybe I shouldn't have used such a long word. I can think of a few others.

Paulette

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It does make you wonder how how 28,927 images with that, er, quality of captioning and keywording could have remained on sale for so long. Are there no checks at all, is it just a consequence of him resorting to posting his criticisms of Alamy on here?

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

is it just a consequence of him resorting to posting his criticisms of Alamy on here?

Yes, Alamy noticed this thread and took action. Trouble is there are currently lots more images on here with similarly inaccurate captioning and tagging that need addressing too. A "Report Errors" button that's been mentioned would be a great idea...

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 3

Ouch. So he didth protest too much. And got throwneth off. I wonder if he got a warning.

Never a good idea to attract too much attention (except for search results). Keep under the radar, I say.

Edited by spacecadet

I also would like to see a report problem with captions and tags button, maybe going to photographer first to allow for corrections, then if there were too many problems, suspend account until corrected.   If not corrected in a certain amount of time, then toss. 

My guess is the fantasy for a lot of mislabeled photos is that they're so good, a photo editor seeing them would want to license them and find a text to match them.

Accurate labels can get higher fees if the subject matter is uncommon, but fills someone's precise need.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Chuckle! Had to look that one up!

Jamie Windsor over on your side of the pond has a really good video on this, if you're interested.

Edited by TABan
  • Love 2
  • Like 1