I remember the Zent and Tair 300mm from long ago. For anyone to carry one or a similar setup they would need some serious counselling. As a youngster I carried a collapsed tripod under my arm while walking on a public footpath (now closed or diverted) across the grounds of Chequers. No way would I even do anything like that now as a Londoner was shot dead for carrying a chair leg.

2 hours ago, Alex Ramsay said:

Anyone here old enough to remember the Novoflex? - https://kamerastore.com/products/novoflex-40cm-f5-6-noflexar-1

I had one of these once

Alex

I still have both the 400 and 600. And even the 2x converter making it a 1200mm:

Haarlem landmarks Windmill De Adriaan and the Grote (Great) or Oude (Old) St Bavo church, cathedral and bell tower Stock Photo

2,435 ft (740 m) from the camera to the windmill and 4,000 ft (1.22 km) to the clock.

Why would you want to do this? Andreas Feininger explained this in BBC Master Photographers (1983).

wim

• Like 1

http://scihi.org/etienne-jules-marey-chronophotographic-gun/

Anybody wants to repeat this instead of shooting stock?

I did have a Photosniper during 1990s. What was the reason for this construction? Camera with shutter speeds between 1/30-1/500, lens wide open at F4.5, films ISO 50-150, no image stabilization, and strong shock from the jumping mirror on camera body. Still, from my experience nearly all motion blur results I was getting not from my stability issues but from movement of the subject. For this reason, I only used the camera+lens, without the bulky and heavy grip. BTW, focusing on this lens was much faster than the regular telescopic ring on conventional lenses which again aided for moving subjects, given that everything was manual. And it was durable for taking into field expeditions which we had many and tough.

With modern equipment I see as the minimum the same reasons that had Étienne-Jules Marey: [improved] stabilization for taking video with tele lenses.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, I had a Novoflex long ago. It seemed a really good idea but it wasn't impressive in sharpness. It was OK but not great and as it turned out, professionally, 200 mm was enough for my predominantly landscape work. The Novoflex was very noticeable and that isn't the way I like to work. 

Edited by Robert M Estall