Distribution opt-out

12 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I am opted out of all.  Thinking maybe I ought to opt in to selected few?

Allan

Japan? They sometimes pay well.

• Thanks 1

I opted out of all distribution except the USA and Japan , when it was suggested that other countrys' distributors may not pay so much heed to our requests re usage in terms of licensing and whether model/property  releases available or not, and the possibility of then having to pay Alamys' costs if there was a legal comeback!

Kumar

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I first opted-out of everything (operationally easier) and then re-selected West European countries, Japan, USA, Canada, Brazil, Several high-income Middle Eastern countries, Australia... This resulted is substantial drop of the number of sales but a greater average gross per each (for 2019-2022 it was between $40-50). Obviously, the total still goes down but I'm fine with this because do not want to sell for pennies.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

I have opted out to all except UK, USA, Canada, Japan, Germany, Australia and New Zealand.

Jill

That's about my selection also. As an aside I discovered today that distributors now get 6 months to pay. Worth noting.

• Thanks 1

I don't think opting out guarantees no more dollar prices. I was told they were due to distributional sales but just told it maybe due to distributional sales but also buyers purchase "image packs," then buy from different photographers. Of course, Alamy won't tell you whose purchased, or even which country, so you cannot make an informed decision based on dollar sales.

Alamy does great out of it, but photographers are screwed. Basically, you are selling to a macro price site under the hood, even though you have a rights managed agreement with Alamy. I'm pretty sure Alamy has breached my contract but not 100% sure.

Alamy will NOT let you opt out of image packs, nor let you set a minimum price. So, until stock photographers form a union, or even a group, and bring pressure to bear on stock sites, photographers just have to lump it, while stock sites and buyers laugh all the way to the bank.

2 hours ago, Steve F said:

Has anyone had a decent fee from China?

Not me.  Three sales before I opted out, for a grand total of £11.44 net.

I did once sell a load of GePe plastic slide mounts on ebay to someone in China, for a ridiculous amount (and I mean ridiculously large... 😀)

• Thanks 1

Don't think I've had a China specific sale, certainly not the penny sales people have been experiencing. Wondering if I should opt out of anywhere for the first time, thanks for the feedback everyone.