Sold worldwide royalty free for for $0. 17?huh!

I noticed an image sold for 16 cents yesterday, but the usage of it is unbelievable, how come its so low, is this a mistake? Or am I misunderstanding something? 

The usage is of following 

"Country: Worldwide
Usage: Editorial, Website and Social media, any size, single placement and design, worldwide, in perpetuity
Media: Website, app and social media
130 MB
8256 x 5504 pixels
6 MB compressed
Print run: Unlimited
Placement: Any - print inside, electronic, online
Image Size: Any size
Start: 14 December 2022
Duration: In perpetuity"

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

Alamy may have an explanation, but this sort of fee level is simply not what we are here for. If we were willing to sell for peanuts, there are plenty of outfits happy to indulge.

I agree, I would never in a million years have sold that image for that price, thr editing time alone cost more, then we consider the DSLR, lense, cost to get into the location and the fact it was a 3 hour flight away. 

Man this is depressing, I assume I can't opt out of giving it away for free either. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Attraction Images said:

I agree, I would never in a million years have sold that image for that price, thr editing time alone cost more, then we consider the DSLR, lense, cost to get into the location and the fact it was a 3 hour flight away. 

Man this is depressing, I assume I can't opt out of giving it away for free either. 

Opt out of giving images away?

The only way you can do that these days is not to put any on line.

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

It's a throughly depressing state of affairs, Alamy selling at micro stock prices or lower. I've had similar sales recently and a record number this year BUT revenue is less than 50% of last year. I fear the bottom hasn't been reached in terms of selling price and I can't see any improvement. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Had two sales drop in today, both from China, with a total of 9 cents for both....I get 3 cents!!!  I thought Alamy had removed me from these sales to China.  I am not in Novel Use and I am not suppose to have sales to China affiliates.

I got 3 today for 0.03 gross / 0.01 net to China. I'm out as well. There was an email from Alamy a few days ago about these sales which are the same files as the ones sold in December last year. As I understood the email the idea was those sales to be refunded at 100% to me, but this is not happening. Or maybe I'm wrong...

Here's the email: 

Hi ,

We wrote to you in September about distribution sales in China in your account that shouldn’t have gone through due to a technical error. We also said that because of this we’d be paying you 100% commission from these sales.

After working with the distributor and as a gesture of good will, we are now going to rebill these images as a top up payment in your account, with the sale price being slightly higher than previously. These aren’t new licenses but are ‘top up’ payments and you will see this reflected in your account over the coming days. This top up payment will also include the 100% commission that we were due to pay back to you from the corresponding sale(s) in September. Once again, we’re sorry that this happened and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks

Contributor Relations

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Had two sales drop in today, both from China, with a total of 9 cents for both....I get 3 cents!!!  I thought Alamy had removed me from these sales to China.  I am not in Novel Use and I am not suppose to have sales to China affiliates.

8 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I’ve just had 10 sales today - between $0.03 and $0.11 gross. I’ve opted out of sales to China. Exactly the same thing happened at the end of December 2021. 

Edited by ROC
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

My previous 13 sales have earned me an income of $2.75, thanks Alamy for making me feel appreciated as a contributor and not taken advantage of at all! I'm thrilled to have been able to provide professional quality imagery of wildlife for such a generous return 🤣 🤥 🤮

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Bummer. It sounds as if communication between Alamy and some distributors either gets lost in translation or is ignored. I too opted out of China earlier this year. So far, so good... 🤞

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Marb said:

I'm absolutely sick and tired of this shafting of us by Alamy. Even the microstock sites don't give images for free. Just had 2 sales now myself for $0

I can beat that:  over the last two days I have 90 sales to China for $1.87 net, with a majority of them for 1 cent to me. 

I guess anything less than 50 cents gets rounded down to zero on the front page report.  One needs to download the statement to see details.

Edited by Reimar
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Reimar said:

I can beat that:  over the last two days I have 90 sales to China for $1.87 net, with a majority of them for 1 cent to me. 

I guess anything less than 50 cents gets rounded down to zero on the front page report.  One needs to download the statement to see details.

Just awful.

• Thanks 1

I had one of those sales to China today...$0.05 sale, with $0.04 taken in commissions. A couple of you have commented that you have opted out of sales to China. How do you go about doing that?

On 29/12/2022 at 09:35, Reimar said:

I sent the following e-mail to Alamy.  Lets see what they say because I've heard different things:

Hello.  I hope you can clarify some sales results.  In December I had 93 sales to China. 

Of these 48 were for "China, Editorial Website". 

Do I get 25% of the gross value of these sales?  In other words $1.10?

For the other 45, these are listed as "Top-up amount for Jun-Aug sale".

Do I get 100% of this top up amount?  In other words $3.10?

Edited by Reimar
  • Thanks 1

So contacted Alamy contributor helpdesk and have been told that I can opt-out of NU or China or both. Apparently you can only opt-out in April(never knew this) but they are prepared to let me off as a one-off.

The helpdesk person seemed to imply that low value is only due to my NU opt-in (again never knew this) and China sales per se may not be THIS bad. What do others think ? Anyone opted out of NU but still selling to China thru this shady distributor who is selling for s&*% to be competitive. Well anyone can sell for nothing - no skills required eh !

• Thanks 1

• Alamy locked this topic