New Nikon super tele prime

Nikon just announced their new Z-mount super tele prime lens - 600mm f/4. Has 5.5 stops of  vibration reduction, and switch for enabling a built-in 1.4x teleconverter.  Weights 115 oz/3260 gr.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/mirrorless-lenses/nikkor-z-600mm-f%2f4-tc-vr-s.html?ET_CID=4472585&ET_RID=903046620#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-Overview

MSRP $15,500. USD   😲

Edited by Phil

17 minutes ago, Steve F said:

That's a LOT of licenses for a brick! 😝

But it will enable us to add many more close-up keeper images of sparrows, finches, and squirrels to our alamy portfolios and rake in more high commission licenses.  😃

1 minute ago, Phil said:

But it will enable us to add many more close-up keeper images of sparrows, finches, and squirrels to our alamy portfolios and rake in more high commission licenses.  😃

Is that what I need to photograph for big bucks here?! 🤑

Cheaper to buy a 50 or 60 MP camera using a 200mm end of zoom and crop shots.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve F said:

That's a LOT of licenses for a brick! 😝

I have the old MF 600 f4, older than some contributors to Alamy and while it is a "Great" lens, it is a bit more than a Brick, more like a "Ton of 

Bricks"... 

Chuck

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Cheaper to buy a 50 or 60 MP camera using a 200mm end of zoom and crop shots.

Allan

Ah - but this lens target buyers are wildlife and sports photogs. 

Not sure what hard-core sports shooters would say - but die-hard wildlife photographers will roll their eyes and proclaim their mantra - "Don't crop wildlife images - except maybe just a tiny bit!" - even with lots of megapixels.   😁

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Phil said:

Nikon just announced their new Z-mount super tele prime lens - 600mm f/4. Has 5.5 stops of  vibration reduction, and switch for enabling a built-in 1.4x teleconverter.  Weights 115 oz/3260 gr.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/mirrorless-lenses/nikkor-z-600mm-f%2f4-tc-vr-s.html?ET_CID=4472585&ET_RID=903046620#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-Overview

MSRP $15,500. USD   😲

Wow!

I bought a new canon 600 f4 in 2008 when I was 61, for £5000. I've had a tremendous amount of enjoyment from it doing Uk wildlife. It's too heavey for me now at 12lb. This new nikon sounds a lot  more managable at 7lb but when you take into account all the rest of your kit, mine was over 30lb, so I'd still be carrying over 25lb even with the new nikon. The last time I carried mine too far I developed a limp which took 6 weeks to get rid of. If I carry it frequently with the rest of the kit but only for short distances I develop pains in my legs after a few days. So I have to ration its use now. All that said I still enjoy using it. There certainly isn't big bucks in UK wildlife, but I've noticed from the Images Sold thread more exotic wildlife does better. I would caution against buying it expecting it to pay for itself. Buy it for the love of the photography but not in the expectation of making a lot of money.       

• Love 1
  • Like 2

The Nikon 500mm PF lens is my preferred route, lightweight and has given me stunning results. Just as good coupled with the Nikon 1.4 III teleconverter. Have used it extensively at sports events, airshows and landscapes, mostly handheld. It’s also a more sensible price.

Looks like a great piece of gear for wildlife photography professionals who are getting paid thousands for each assignment and I'm sure they'll put it to good use.  But yeah at that price level definitely being marketed towards full time wildlife photography pros or the independently wealthy. 

You sure couldn't use that doing birds in flight photography.  The weight would kill you.  Best suited to sports photography and wildlife that's on the ground.  I'm pretty happy with my Canon 100-400.  Might get a 1.4 extender later on.

Jill

• Love 1

15 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

You sure couldn't use that doing birds in flight photography.  The weight would kill you.  Best suited to sports photography and wildlife that's on the ground.  I'm pretty happy with my Canon 100-400.  Might get a 1.4 extender later on.

Jill

Interesting to note you are happy with your Canon 100-400 lens. 100-400 is reasonably compact, especially in comparison to that monster Nikon lens. I use Nikon kit, and was recently eyeing up a used 80-400 at a dealers relatively close to me. I left it too late and it sold. Would also have been useful on a DX crop sensor body giving me the equivalent to 150-600.

Edited by sb photos
Corrected 100-400 to 80-400

3 hours ago, Alexander Hog said:

Got the same one and been really happy with it 

All my bird photography has been done with it. It is light enough that I can shoot handheld for quite awhile before the arms start to yell at me.

Jill