October 2022 Challenge - Olden Days

gvallee

All olde-worlde-transporte from me I'm afraid ...

Royal Enfield Continental
1967-royal-enfield-250cc-continental-gt-

Members of "Velo Vintage" on a demo ride before the Tour of Britain gets underway.

sidmouth-devon-9th-sept-16-members-of-vi

Sheep eye up an MGB out on Dartmoor
dartmoor-uk-10th-nov-2017-uk-weathershee

• Love 2

6 hours ago, gvallee said:

Love the entries. Keep them coming please. Hop on the slow pace of the olden days. Last day on 31st. 

Ok that did it. Slow pace of the olden days huh?

All from the US this time.

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/DGKN7Y/historic-daily-life-in-fort-frederick-maryland-volunteer-drummer-with-DGKN7Y.jpg

Fort Frederick Maryland.

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/2J92PGC/oak-alley-plantation-near-new-orleans-louisiana-national-historic-landmark-on-the-mississippi-river-in-vacherie-la-2J92PGC.jpg

Oak Alley plantation Louisiana.

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/AM5JN0/firing-of-a-parrott-rifle-cannon-historical-reenactment-on-henry-house-AM5JN0.jpg

Manassas. Re-enactment. I'm not that old.

wim

• Love 1

On 18/10/2022 at 17:02, TeeCee said:

All olde-worlde-transporte from me I'm afraid ...

Royal Enfield Continental
1967-royal-enfield-250cc-continental-gt-

Sheep eye up an MGB out on Dartmoor

Brings back memories, my first powered transport was a worn out and unreliable Enfield Crusader. I managed to sort the engine, but the gearbox was never right. Fortunately I moved on to an Austin A35 van before killing myself. Later, in more prosperous times, we had an MG midget. Then the kids came along and with them  a series of boring but practical vehicles. Nowadays I prefer to cycle or use public transport, but realistically, it's difficult to manage without a car these days. Our current steed is a Yeti, generally without its rear seats and used as a van to cart stuff about. We took the remains of our old bathroom to the dump recently, the bath on the roof rack.

Edited by Bryan

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

Brings back memories, my first powered transport was a worn out and unreliable Enfield Crusader. I managed to sort the engine, but the gearbox was never right. Fortunately I moved on to an Austin A35 van before killing myself. Later, in more prosperous times, we had an MG midget. Then the kids came along and with them  a series of boring but practical vehicles. Nowadays I prefer to cycle or use public transport, but realistically, it's difficult to manage without a car these days. Our current steed is a Yeti, generally without its rear seats and used as a van to cart stuff about. We took the remains of our old bathroom to the dump recently, the bath on the roof rack.

A friend of mine had a Crusader circa 1970. Wouldn't be surprised to find the oil stains are still there where he parked on the garden path.
Never got rid of the motorbike bug myself, had a succession of everything from manky BSA Bantams to assorted Japanese superbikes, often two at a time. Kept going until 2012 when I acquired a knackered USA spec 1973 Triumph Daytona... 

triumph-daytona-t100r-classic-motorcycle

Spent two years working on it and was intending to put it back to British spec - but before it was 100% finished my wife became very ill, so I bunged it back together and sold it. Glad to say that Angie pulled through fine, and on the plus side, I've sold several pix from the restoration process!
Like you, I now stick to cars, in my case an elderly Seat Ibiza with the seats almost permanently folded down. With the judicious application of my right boot I can get two dumpy bags of rubbish in there - en route to the council tip.

• Love 2

Three from me. I didn't have anything particularly interesting, but they do go back to a certain time

fountain-pen-and-a-bottle-of-ink-2B3FHEF

I still write letters with a fountain pen, with this splendid purple ink.

a-printed-warning-on-a-record-inner-slee

Back in the day when home taping was the music industry's big worry. They would have worried less if they could see what was coming 30 years later.

a-bootleg-live-recording-on-tape-DA28EF.

Pre-internet pirating! Bootleg concert tapes. I used to buy mine from a guy on Chelmsford market. The quality is fine, the guy had a good recording setup. He looked pretty disreputable but got his recording kit into the shows in his cute innocent looking girlfriend's bag. And look at those ticket prices - less than $10 (I just saw Sabaton and it cost $90 and my Muse tickets were about $125.). In terms of dollars per decibel I don't think it will ever be beaten. No-one would dare play at those sound levels these days. And as a survivor of 30 Motorhead shows, its not so bad that they stick around 100dB these days.

• Love 1

Apologies for late submission, - have been in Botswana for 2 weeks! Here are my three:

1. A woman travelling in a vintage steam train

steam-train-travel-a-woman-travelling-in-a-vintage-steam-train-carriage-uk-see-also-2gm788e-2GM78C9.jpg

2.  Vintage planes taking part in a staged dogfight

two-vintage-wwi-planes-flying-and-performing-a-simulated-dogfight-G35TM5.jpg

3. Old cans of coffee

old-vintage-coffee-cans-or-tins-of-coffee-namibia-africa-PYX620.jpg

Kumar

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Apologies for late submission, - have been in Botswana for 2 weeks! Here are my three:

Kumar

Oh I am so envious. I hope it was wonderful. I look forward to seeing your images.

Paulette

5 hours ago, NYCat said:

Oh I am so envious. I hope it was wonderful. I look forward to seeing your images.

Paulette

Hi Paulette!

It was a fantastic trip thanks! - three separate mobile tented campsites in Moremi and Chobe - tracked and saw lions, leopards, cheetahs, as well as huge numbers of other mammals and birds - also lucky enough to see a serval in the wild. Hugely wonderful!

Kumar

• Thanks 1

This challenge is now closed for entries. Well done all.

I'm now going to roll up my sleeves and get the poll up and running.

Thank you for your participation.

• Love 1

Vintage tennis racket, whimsical sign, and Beatles & other license plates from the 1960's in an antique store doorway on Main Street, Cold Spring, Putnam County, New York

whimsical-signs-in-an-antique-store-door 

Vintage Americana advertising on the side of a colorful barn in rural Pennsylvania that says “Chew Mail Pouch Tobacco." Between 1891 and the 1970s barns such as this were painted in rural areas across 22 states in the USA. 

vintage-americana-advertising-chew-mail-

Although even pre-US colonial history only dates back the 1600s, North America has a much older history, going back thousands of years. Here are petroglyphs, ancient rock carvings, made by Native American cultures as much as 2500 years ago, and still easily seen today despite millenia of sun and rain. Petroglyph Canyon, Valley of Fire, Nevada, USA. Very olden days indeed!

petroglyphs-ancient-rock-carvings-by-pre

2 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Vintage tennis racket, whimsical sign, and Beatles & other license plates from the 1960's in an antique store doorway on Main Street, Cold Spring, Putnam County, New York

whimsical-signs-in-an-antique-store-door 

Vintage Americana advertising on the side of a colorful barn in rural Pennsylvania that says “Chew Mail Pouch Tobacco." Between 1891 and the 1970s barns such as this were painted in rural areas across 22 states in the USA. 

vintage-americana-advertising-chew-mail-

Although even pre-US colonial history only dates back the 1600s, North America has a much older history, going back thousands of years. Here are petroglyphs, ancient rock carvings, made by Native American cultures as much as 2500 years ago, and still easily seen today despite millenia of sun and rain. Petroglyph Canyon, Valley of Fire, Nevada, USA. Very olden days indeed!

petroglyphs-ancient-rock-carvings-by-pre

Sorry Marianne. As I was saying in the post above the challenge is now closed and votes are actually taking place. I like the punchy colours.

Just now, gvallee said:

Sorry Marianne. As I was saying in the post above the challenge is now closed and votes are actually taking place. I like the punchy colours.

It's just 3pm here in the US - I didn't realize that it would have closed for me at 3am!!! I just scrolled to the end to post. Bummed. Oh well.

1 minute ago, Marianne said:

It's just 3pm here in the US - I didn't realize that it would have closed for me at 3am!!! I just scrolled to the end to post. Bummed. Oh well.

Nope, deadline was 6pm Sydney time. Just to make it awkward LOL!! Even from where I am today in Oz, there's 1 hour's difference with Sydney. 

I just didn't want to stay up in the middle of the night to close the challenge. Major time difference with the US!! 

• Like 1