October 2022 Challenge - Olden Days

gvallee

For some unexplained reason, I am quite nostalgic of bygone days. Life was more difficult but slower and more intense.

Let's have a look at images of the old way of life. Can be an object, costumes, antiques, pageants, even portraits. 

3 photos on Alamy per entry please.

Submissions close on 31st October, 6pm Sydney time (sorry can't do GMT, would be in the middle of the night for me).

Good luck all!

2A86XPA.jpg

Old opal miner

KRWWJF.jpg

Mantel radios

W45KP4.jpg

AKRPCH.jpg

King George III Bathing Machine

WPCWC1.jpg

2J01K48.jpg

Pioneers cemetery

PTDD0B.jpg

Train

2JARADE.jpg

2HYK7MF.jpg

Whaling Ship

2HC1203.jpg

Gold miner's tin shack

2HC1237.jpg

Gold miner tin shack

2AC8JBY.jpg

Old shearing shed

2A10G41.jpg

WPCWC7.jpg

PTYD2A.jpg

J6DXT9.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Love this challenge topic Gen!  I had so many to go through that I thought could work but whittled them down to these three.

1) An old farmhouse and tractor that had seen busier days.

usa-virginia-luray-page-county-an-abando

2) Making molasses by hand in Egypt

africa-middle-east-egypt-molasses-making

3) I couldn't resist an old camera

vintage-photographic-film-camera-antique

• Love 2

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

Nah, too young.

"Nah" ? 

You, as a French woman, can't use American slang! Using the term "drugstore" is a crime. Or am I behind the times? Hey, that's a good thing for this challenge. 

Nice topic, Gen. I too am a sucker for nostalgia.

This telegraph in El Salvador, Central America, was still being used when I took this picture back in the 90's.

functioning-telegraph-at-the-sitio-del-nio-train-station-in-el-salvador-BA65GG.jpg

Back to the 1950's. We had a TV (a Marconi) that looked similar to this one.

vintage-1950`s-black-and-white-motorola-television-set-and-living-room-in-the-50s-gallery-at-the-museum-of-vancouver-british-columbia-canada-RJTEDR.jpg

My first calculator. It still works, sort of.

vintage-texas-instruments-ti-1250-basic-electronic-math-calculator-EYDR2B.jpg
Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

"Nah" ? 

You, as a French woman, can't use American slang! Using the term "drugstore" is a crime. Or am I behind the times? Hey, that's a good thing for this challenge. 

Walking back home today I was briefly in a group of French-speaking people. What a beautiful language. No wonder they are proud of it and resist our ugly words.

Paulette

Moan ah me, 

Am I hallucinating about the protests that the powers that were in France in the 1960s and '70s against using American slang? Le Drugstore, which opened in 1958, was one case in point. Can someone help me out here? 

Edo

8 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Moan ah me, 

Am I hallucinating about the protests that the powers that were in France in the 1960s and '70s against using American slang? Le Drugstore, which opened in 1958, was one case in point. Can someone help me out here? 

Edo

all i know it is a major bone of contention of people from Québec how many English word the French use where there exist a proper French word. 

interestingly this is the définition, according to Larousse of "le drugstore"

"Store consisting of independent businesses selling gifts, clothing, newspapers and magazines, records and also comprising a restaurant, cinema, etc., open late at night, even on Sundays."

🤔je ne comprends pas.

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

all i know it is a major bone of contention of people from Québec how many English word the French use where there exist a proper French word. 

interestingly this is the définition, according to Larousse of "le drugstore"

"Store consisting of independent businesses selling gifts, clothing, newspapers and magazines, records and also comprising a restaurant, cinema, etc., open late at night, even on Sundays."

🤔je ne comprends pas.

Ni moi non plus. Quebec's language police wouldn't be happy with "le drugstore."

Bon weekend et joyeux Thanksgiving (au Canada). 😎

45 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Ni moi non plus. Quebec's language police wouldn't be happy with "le drugstore."

Bon weekend et joyeux Thanksgiving (au Canada). 😎

I don't really care about the Policing, and always thought it was too much, i am all for preserving the French language, but you do it with promotion and access, not with imposition.

One of my favourite story from introduction of Bill 101 (original language law) comes from town where I grew up, Hudson west of the island of Montreal.  The hardware store wanted to change their name to "Udson Ardware" since "this is how the Francophone pronounce it".  😀

fnow that i am getting exposure to Acadian, which has 17th century words and structure mixed with words borrowed from the English of the Maritime I accept way more fluidity in the language.   

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

"Nah" ? 

I also speak Aussie. Yeah, nah = yes. Nah, yeah = no.

You know what? I can't remember what French call a drugstore. I left France 38 years ago and I genuinely struggle with oral French. Understanding is obviously not a problem, writing gives me more time to think, but speaking! I avoid French people because I am embarrassed about it.

Yesterday was an incredible coincidence. We were driving through the equivalent of your Midwest plains. Hundreds and hundreds of kms of flat emptiness. We stopped for lunch at a rest area. A car stops next to us and asks us if they can share the picnic table. Two French!! Zut alors! I gulped down my food and fled. So embarrassing. 

• Love 1

5 hours ago, NYCat said:

Walking back home today I was briefly in a group of French-speaking people. What a beautiful language. No wonder they are proud of it and resist our ugly words.

Paulette

Last time I briefly visited France, they had all these new French words like 'horodateur' (parking meter') because they don't want to use English words. I felt like a total stranger. 

10 minutes ago, Keith Burdett said:

How far back are we going? Neolithic Portal Dolmen, Pembrokeshire, Wales.

K86TJK.jpg

Handcrank sewing machine, still in use today.

CW3D31.jpg

It wasn't all good. But if we remember maybe we can do better in the present and the future...

PWET0K.jpg

I can't say I'm a fan of Middle Ages but go as far back as you like. 

2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

I don't really care about the Policing, and always thought it was too much, i am all for preserving the French language, but you do it with promotion and access, not with imposition.

One of my favourite story from introduction of Bill 101 (original language law) comes from town where I grew up, Hudson west of the island of Montreal.  The hardware store wanted to change their name to "Udson Ardware" since "this is how the Francophone pronounce it".  😀

fnow that i am getting exposure to Acadian, which has 17th century words and structure mixed with words borrowed from the English of the Maritime I accept way more fluidity in the language.   

I've been to "Udson" numerous times. It's a very nice place. I'm also very much for preserving the French language, as are most Quebec anglos (which I once was). As you say, though, draconian language laws aren't the way to go about it IMO.

But methinks we digress too much. Back to olden days... 👴👵

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I've been to "Udson" numerous times. It's a very nice place. I'm also very much for preserving the French language, as are most Quebec anglos (which I once was). As you say, though, draconian language laws aren't the way to go about it IMO.

But methinks we digress too much. Back to olden days... 👴👵

I don't mind the digression. I can still see the pictures. 😃