Sunset?

You camera people -- how do you feel about sunsets? 

Love 'em? Hate 'em? Or do you just ignore them? 

On sun & sand travel assignments, I always luged a heavy tripod and a 500mm lens to get the catamaran sailing out passed the big orange ball. Do I still do that? Nope. I can't remember the last time I captured a sunset. And nowadays I think of sunsets as the most popular subject of amateurs. 

Edo

• Love 1

Sunsets in my photos are just happenchance. If I’m there to shoot a subject, my reason for being there, and a sunset happens, so be it.

Years ago before I went digital, I had a Canon Sureshot film camera. We vacationed on the west coast right after a volcano had spewed ash into the air and it was circulating around the world. It caused spectacular sunsets, and every day we were near the Oregon coast, no matter what we were doing, I insisted we find a photogenic place near the coast to shoot the sunset.

Amazing images.

I’ll confess that the house I live in now, the surrounding trees block the sunsets or I might be tempted more. Yet if I would be tempted, I’d want a subject in the foreground. In Oregon, I got a lighthouse, and those famous huge rocks like Haystack, and sandpiper bird silhouettes on wet sand reflecting the sunset.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

And nowadays I think of sunsets as the most popular subject of amateurs. 

Edo

Food photography might be running sunsets a close second Edo 😀

I love sunsets and they sell remarkably well for me - though not as well lighthouses - lighthouse sunsets are the trifecta. I rarely ever actually shoot the sun - that big orb that often gets blown out - I usually shoot blue hour/golden hour right before and after the sun sets - and always include something of interest in the frame. I learned a long time ago that looking east you can also get some nice light and colors reflected as the sun is setting.

Lots of trees here too Betty, so I travel to the beach on vacation days and often here at home to the Hudson River. Haven't shot a sunset since last year - less traveling these days. In winter I'll often go to the Hudson for them since the bare trees are great and in winter I'm often at a loss for outdoor subjects unless it snows.

I love color, so I can can't resist them! 

Edited by Marianne

These three have each sold at least two times since 2020:

I'd shoot them just for the joy of it anyway.

Rocky Neck State Park, Connecticut

twilight-blue-hour-rocky-neck-state-park

Gettysburg, PA

monument-civil-war-veterans-of-the-111th

The Hudson River not far from my house. This is the only one where I used a tripod:

sleepy-hollow-new-york-usa-15-february-2

• Love 1

I rarely shoot a sunset just for the sake of a sunset, I like to have something of interest in the shot and then have the sunset as an exclamation point.  Sort of like the photo I just posted in the sales thread, of the fly fishing in the Florida Keys.

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Love 1

My daughter, her husband, Bob & I were coming back to our cottage from a shopping trip on St. Croix when this happened. I got a shot of my daughter chimping after taking a sunset picture. The sunsets there were awesome. One couldn’t NOT take pictures of them.

F5H99J.jpg

• Love 2

Living near the east coast in the northern hemisphere watery sunsets are a problem for me. There is precious little to form a nice sunset foreground in my immediate locality. 

Seascape sun rises would be possible, but I cannot predict the occurrence of a photogenic one and it's just too much hassle, too far away and too early in the day!

Using a long telephoto on a tripod I can get and have got a sunrise over the local landmark Penshaw monument, taken from our bedroom window, but, to date, it hasn't earned any cash. Not encouraged to do more.

I have an insane number of sunrises/sunsets. I enjoy very much driving or walking in the dark to get to a sunrise. I think it's an emotional time of the day. As a professional insomniac, I have no problems getting up early. But do they sell? Nope. I had to go back to last year to find two licenses only. I did sell a super blood moon and a Milky Way though. 

M0KWXP.jpg

P7ME4H.jpg

M1X187.jpg

PFFEW1.jpg

It is interesting that although the subject of this thread is Sunset, only one of the 9 members' images posted so far (John Mitchell) shows the sun setting. All the rest were taken at dusk, The Blue Hour, when the sun has disappeared. 

I'm not surprised. We all love The Blue Hour. 🙂 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

It is interesting that although the subject of this thread is Sunset, only one of the 9 members' images posted so far (John Mitchell) shows the sun setting. All the rest were taken at dusk, The Blue Hour, when the sun has disappeared. 

Here's another for you Edo.

Sunset over Lincolnshire

sunset-over-lincolnshire-2E8XF57.jpg

HOWZAT?

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Nice snap, Allan -- but has it sold? I have never had a digital image of a sunset sell. Never.

SNAP!

No it has not sold and no non of the others have sold either.

They have not sold on the wall art site I submit to either.

Allan

I don't often go out to take photos of sunsets these days, but I do have a few on sale. This photo of swans is my best-selling one, licensed 3 times including for a bird book.

family-of-mute-swans-cygnus-olor-with-si

Another sunset pic that has sold once is this wintry scene at Butser Hill in the South Downs.

winter-landscape-view-from-butser-hill-i

• Love 1

Alright Edo. I went further back and found these sales.

I'm going to incur your wrath again as a few are actually sunrises. Shame on me. 

FKR0EP.jpg

FKR0EN.jpg

ARYW7R.jpg

BHM39P.jpg

G40CYM.jpg

A45X0N.jpg

AF2M8J.jpg

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I'm going to incur your wrath again as a few are actually sunrises. Shame on me. 

No wrath or shame involved, dear -- your images look great regardless of the subject or the time of day. I'm just trying to kick this subject around. And who knows?; maybe I'll learn something. 

• Love 1

This one has the sun peeking around from behind the building and has sold here - but it's a sunrise:

a-dramatic-and-beautiful-sunrise-with-bu

Or is it? The sun is just above the horizon and given the color I'd guess it's really the golden hour. Though it was very early in the morning so it still felt like sunrise to me. 

12 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Blue hours? I have lots of those. Listening to Miles Davis can help. 🎺

That's really the only "pure" sunset image that I have -- i.e. where the main subject is the actual setting sun. As I recall, it was licensed by a UK birding magazine, so I suspect it was the location they were mainly interested in.

• Like 1