New Website Repercussions

I don’t have a huge portfolio but my sales had been okay, and I have already overtaken last year’s sales figures (obviously not revenue). I had plenty of zooms, CTR above Alamy’s average and a lot of views. Since the new website was launched I may as well not be here. No zooms, CTR zero, views very low. I’m sure I’m not the only one. I have been doing a few test searches, and the results on page 1 often don’t relate to the search or are incredibly old, badly edited photos. I think the way things are mean the end for us and the end for Alamy. Isn’t it sad? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ROC said:

I have been doing a few test searches, and the results on page 1 often don’t relate to the search or are incredibly old, badly edited photos.

Well I'm not about to disagree with you sadly but I think it makes a difference how you are searching. Were you testing in All Images (the default) or had you ventured into the new territory of Creative (Ultimate,Vital, Uncut, Foundation) or Editorial?

2 hours ago, SteveFleming said:

I've noticed a big difference in my ranking.

From usually appearing around page 10 in searches I've moved up to appear on the first page - it's only taken 10 years!

Where there's losers in the 'ranking game' there must also be winners. If someone's images appear lower in the order than they used to, that means that someone else's images are appearing further up to fill the gap.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Where there's losers in the 'ranking game' there must also be winners. If someone's images appear lower in the order than they used to, that means that someone else's images are appearing further up to fill the gap.

Life is a rollercoaster ....

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov

38 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

That must be true but I'd like to hear from someone who thinks they are winning.

Certainly doesn't seem to be the case for most of the regular contributors to this forum.

Added total views 26 overnight when it was 150+ per day before the current changes.

1 zoom in the last 3 weeks and no sales (licences for the old hands).

Feels like madness to spend time on submissions while this continues.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tony ALS said:

That must be true but I'd like to hear from someone who thinks they are winning.

Errr.... Sorry to put a spanner in the works. 😇

CTR and views seem ok for me. 0.79 CTR this month. 4610 views and 23 zooms since 12th June. No drop off in sales either. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tony ALS said:

Certainly doesn't seem to be the case for most of the regular contributors to this forum.

Added total views 26 overnight when it was 150+ per day before the current changes.

1 zoom in the last 3 weeks and no sales (licences for the old hands).

Feels like madness to spend time on submissions while this continues.

I've only submitted some news images since beginning of the year. I don't have the inclination to submit stock even though I have them on my computer. Just seems like a waste of time for gross $1.50 or less.

24 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Errr.... Sorry to put a spanner in the works. 😇

CTR and views seem ok for me. 0.79 CTR this month. 4610 views and 23 zooms since 12th June. No drop off in sales either. 

Good to hear Steve.

Positive results like this are encouraging.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Tony ALS said:

I seem to be doing OK, but I'm not a level playing field. I've done nothing to work the system other than adding large numbers of images, which makes it difficult to compare how my portfolio would have done based on previous years.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, Avpics said:

I seem to be doing OK, but I'm not a level playing field. I've done nothing to work the system other than adding large numbers of images, which makes it difficult to compare how my portfolio would have done based on previous years.

Can't say I'm in the same league.

Your portfolio is one of the most varied and relevant I have seen.

Embarrassed to even compare my efforts.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Tony ALS said:

Good to hear Steve.

Positive results like this are encouraging.

Thanks.

No problem. I continue to see an annual improvement in sales and income as I'm continuously increasing my portfolio from a small size. But I'll struggle with the 40% to match previous nett income.....

May and June were my worst months for a very long time. This month, for reasons unknown, things seem to be bouncing back despite the current mess and confusion. I'm starting to think that the biggest repercussion (for me, anyway) of the new website will be increasing instability and unpredictability -- i.e. it's going to be even more of a roller coaster going forward. 🎢

3 minutes ago, Alexander Hog said:

And for newbies It's not worth it for all the low prices and everything else that is going on Never going to hit the $250 in a year 

Yes, I understand. It must be very frustrating. I haven't been motivated to do much contributing myself during the past few months.

My licenses have dropped dramatically (still only 1 this month) since the new search engine format that promotes so called Ultimate and Vital, Creative Collections. I am quite sure that the 'new' format rather than ranking is to blame. My images are generally well ranked and show up much as before under an "All" search. Browses through the promoted Creative collections however lead to 'Ultimate' frustration because they are full of glitches and often continuously hang with 3 flashing green dots.  The Editorial tab is really our old "New" tab so it is totally mislabeled. To add insult to injury, the similar images tab under any Editorial image, when clicked, now shows all images by a contributor in added order rather than only those under the search term. This must be especially hard on the 'Vitals' of editors trying to find images. 

The site has been hijacked and crippled by the newly promoted Creative collections. Some of us are collateral damage.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

May and June were my worst months for a very long time. This month, for reasons unknown, things seem to be bouncing back despite the current mess and confusion. I'm starting to think that the biggest repercussion (for me, anyway) of the new website will be increasing instability and unpredictability -- i.e. it's going to be even more of a roller coaster going forward. 🎢

I'm glad it`s not just me.  For my small port, I was doing ok up until April... since then nada... hopefully like you, things will pick up this month.  I'm thinking customers just can't find what they're looking for anymore.

5 hours ago, Tony ALS said:

Tony, while I wouldn't describe myself as "winning," my numbers have jumped substantially during the past month. I for one appreciate Alamy's try at reaching a more commercial group of photo buyers. 

• Love 2

3 hours ago, Sharon said:

I'm glad it`s not just me.  For my small port, I was doing ok up until April... since then nada... hopefully like you, things will pick up this month.  I'm thinking customers just can't find what they're looking for anymore.

It's not all rosy. My zooms are still down considerably, but sales have been trickling in regardless. It will be interesting see if this trend continues, or if it's just a stroke of good luck.

Reading all your comments, it’s obviously not just me that’s seen a drop in everything from views to zoom and sales. Yesterday measures showed lowest views for years. It’s good to see that a few of you have seen gains. I’m lucky in that I sell a lot of cards, canvases and prints locally but Alamy was a good back up. I’ve now lost enthusiasm to look for different images to upload, it feels like a waste of time. 

I am getting more zooms than I ever did in the years leading up to this year. Not a lot but better.

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1