Negative Results 2022

Halfway through the year (nearly) and my sales/revenue forecast is dire.

Last year 2021 I had 23 sales for $433 gross. Or $18.82 per image.

This year to date 10 sales at $8.30 per image.

If the second half of this year continues in the same vain (vein), and assuming similar sales as last year, my gross income will not reach the $250 cut off to enable me to stay in the 40% of sales income bracket.

I need to increase sales. (Highly unlikely) Or increase turnover/image. (Come on Alamy help me out here).

Allan

Let's see how long this thread stays up before it is pulled.

ITMA

4 minutes ago, Richard Tadman said:

Just for clarification (mine) - is the qualifying period for measuring the $250, a calendar year? I read earlier that in some quarters it was being interpreted as a year from the time that the new contract took effect.

That’s what I thought. Wasn’t the new contract close to this time last year? So the year would be 1st July 2021-1st July 22?

Edited by Betty LaRue

7 minutes ago, Richard Tadman said:

Just for clarification (mine) - is the qualifying period for measuring the $250, a calendar year? I read earlier that in some quarters it was being interpreted as a year from the time that the new contract took effect.

It is July to July.  What Allan is stating, is that based on current trends he will fail to qualify for the July 2023 reset.  

32 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

If the second half of this year continues in the same vain (vein), and assuming similar sales as last year, my gross income will not reach the $250 cut off to enable me to stay in the 40% of sales income bracket.

I need to increase sales. (Highly unlikely) Or increase turnover/image. (Come on Alamy help me out here).

Allan

ITMA

Allan, I wanted to check your port, but '500 I internal server error' popped up - just as when I tried to check mine ...

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov

Just now, Ognyan Yosifov said:

Allan, I wanted to check your port, but '500 I internal server error' popped up - just as when I tried to check mine ...

yeah, the link for the number formally knows as the Blue Number seems to be problematic since the search engine update,

Incidentally, since the blue number doesn’t work, newbies who ask for help won’t get it in most cases. We can’t see their images and keywords, so can’t make specific recommendations.

Allan, perhaps the July to July period will give you 2021’s July to January images to add to 2022’s January to July, and you’ll meet the threshold.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Incidentally, since the blue number doesn’t work, newbies who ask for help won’t get it in most cases. We can’t see their images and keywords, so can’t make specific recommendations.

Allan, perhaps the July to July period will give you 2021’s July to January images to add to 2022’s January to July, and you’ll meet the threshold.

Allan had already confirmed he met requirements for this July. 

Looking at my $ amount sale for June, i can understand why someone would be concerned for 2023.  All but one if for under $2. 

• Like 1

At the halfway(ish) mark, I have 57% of the sales of last year which makes sense as my port has gotten larger, i expect i will have more sales than in 2021. However only 41% of the total income of last year's total. Combined with the commission reduction, increase of distributor sales, lower pricing my take home isn't looking good. Negative results for sure. 

Thanks for all your comments. Yes year is July to July. I did not make that clear sorry.

Being able to look at others ports is one of the essential actions on the forum and it has been taken away from us. We only look to give help and advise (advice).

Again it is the reduced payments which is going to catch some of us out.

Yes when we are down to half the sales and include those sales at half the price and less then we are on a hiding to nothing.

If the worst comes to the worst - well we will just have to wait and see and hope things improve. (Very doubtful).

Sorry to say this but it looks like some that do not come up to scratch are being weeded out of the contributor pool by devious methods.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

If I go by the numbers in my dashboard, so far in 2022 my images come to an average of $20, compared to $26 if I calculate all my sales to date. I make my first sale back in September 2017.

13 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry to say this but it looks like some that do not come up to scratch are being weeded out of the contributor pool by devious methods.

Allan

It's not just that it also penalises people with smaller ports 

I have a small port but license generally above the Alamy average of 1 license per 1000 images. Out of the two licences I have had this month already I have a grand total of $3, to add to a total of about $125 since last July!

Unless something dramatically changes, the 20-80 club beckons. 

Like small shopkeepers are the backbone to the economy in UK, small contributors must provide a certain variety to the collection rather than lots of backlit businessmen shaking hands.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

ITMA

Your port does seem to be underperforming, but since the blue number doesn't work anymore we can't offer any thoughts on it!

I'm nowhere near halfway but still getting 3x your ROI and volume. My figures are only just pro-rata for the first half of the year, courtesy, unfortunately, of a couple of rare $$$ and average a little up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Martin L said:

It's not just that it also penalises people with smaller ports 

I have a small port but license generally above the Alamy average of 1 license per 1000 images. Out of the two licences I have had this month already I have a grand total of $3, to add to a total of about $125 since last July!

Unless something dramatically changes, the 20-80 club beckons. 

Like small shopkeepers are the backbone to the economy in UK, small contributors must provide a certain variety to the collection rather than lots of backlit businessmen shaking hands.

Variety is "The spice of life" and as such that is what I have endeavoured to make my portfolio with Alamy.

Allan

3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Your port does seem to be underperforming, but since the blue number doesn't work anymore we can't offer any thoughts on it!

I'm nowhere near halfway but still getting 3x your ROI and volume. My figures are only just pro-rata for the first half of the year, courtesy, unfortunately, of a couple of rare $$$ and average a little up.

Thanks for trying Mark. As I replied to Martin L above I have tried to make my port with as much variety as possible.

My port has always underperformed.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

8 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Thanks for trying Mark. As I replied to Martin L above I have tried to make my port with as much variety as possible.

My port has always underperformed.

Allan

Perhaps we're going out of fashion. Or maybe it's because you  moved to Lincolnshire- always said it was bad news, and I come from Boston so I should know😉

It's a way off (unless we're kicked in the face again), but I probably won't offer my images for 20%. I'd certainly stop uploading.

Edited by spacecadet

Everything was humming along nicely for me until April, with 56 sales and decent revenue overall -- 14 sales per month has been my average for a long time.

Then the bottom fell out of the barrel in May after the "re-rank" or whatever it was. The latest website changes seem to be making the situation even worse. 😕

I had 27 sales to date this year against 31 in the entire 2021.  Yet, revenue per image dropped from $44 in 2021 to $26 in 2022. Overall, I don't expect to match even remotely 2021's gross income this year :-(

Edited by riccarbi

Hi Allen, looking at your portfolio - while listening to the more experienced members here - you have nice images, though I see that you lack some basic things as for title and keywords. You do not include the county, the country, (or even the continent) either in your titles or keywords. As you live in the UK and having very good photos, I think simply including these terms, you could double your sales 🙂

You use long, composite keywords, but do not include the basic ones, such as "building buildings", "house houses", "architecture", "urban", "old", "vintage" etc etc. even if they are obvious.

Some years ago you had the same problem with your sales, and then - as far as I remember well - forum members recommended you to review your titles and keywords, which you probably haven't done yet.

All the best
Viktor

8 minutes ago, Wahavi said:

Hi Allen, looking at your portfolio - while listening to the more experienced members here - you have nice images, though I see that you lack some basic things as for title and keywords. You do not include the county, the country, (or even the continent) either in your titles or keywords. As you live in the UK and having very good photos, I think simply including these terms, you could double your sales 🙂

You use long, composite keywords, but do not include the basic ones, such as "building buildings", "house houses", "architecture", "urban", "old", "vintage" etc etc. even if they are obvious.

Some years ago you had the same problem with your sales, and then - as far as I remember well - forum members recommended you to review your titles and keywords, which you probably haven't done yet.

All the best
Viktor

Thank you for your input Viktor. I have been doing better than that lately but sometimes still miss obvious KWs.

Allan

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wiskerke said:

If you get a 500 : Internal Server Error, use this link:

Allanbellimages.

wim

edit: and if you get a Bad gateway, just try again.

Thank you. When I replace Allan's name with mine in the link you gave us I can see my images again. Maybe that will work for everyone?

19 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

ITMA

Hi Allan. I think more keywords and fewer long ones would help. For example, for 2JB7B9E of the group of pigeons, how about bird, birds, pigeon, pigeons, eat, eating, hungry, hunger, group of birds, etc?