Looking for images on web sites.

Allan Bell

Question

Hi all I am wondering if there is a particular way to look for images used on websites, either legally sourced from alamy and/or illegally sourced from Alamy.

I am a bit of a dunce at this and in past searches I have only found two of my images but now that we can claim for image uses on websites from DACS I am hoping to boost my income next year for said uses.

I know there has been some discussion on this in the past but wondered if there was an easy method which works.

Allan

20 answers to this question

43 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Hi all I am wondering if there is a particular way to look for images used on websites, either legally sourced from alamy and/or illegally sourced from Alamy.

I am a bit of a dunce at this and in past searches I have only found two of my images but now that we can claim for image uses on websites from DACS I am hoping to boost my income next year for said uses.

I know there has been some discussion on this in the past but wondered if there was an easy method which works.

Allan

Right click on a thumbnail and search in Google image search or Google lens. Chrome has it built-in. Failing that there are add-ons/ extensions.

Or search for your name/Alamy, but exclude the Alamy sites from the search with -alamy.com and possibly the foreign language sites as well- fr,de,it,es.

Edited by spacecadet

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Lots of discussions. This is the easiest tool that works for me:

For Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge and Safari there's Search by Image.

- [It] makes effortless reverse image searches possible, and comes with support for more than 30 search engines.

A bit down that page there are buttons to take you to the download pages for the respective browsers.

I use it with Google, Bing, Yandex, Baidu and Tineye.

Especially Yandex is brilliant for finding (nicked) copies of published images.

However Yandex is Russian. Albeit that the people that run Yandex are fleeing the country and that Yandex is in fact a Dutch company and at one point was hosted on Dutch servers. And maybe still is, however the main servers seem to be in Finland. They have an Israeli branch as well.

wim

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I find looking for individual images a tiresome and thankless task.  I try not to look.  This is mostly for detecting thievery, but not practical with 5 or 10 thousand images.

For DACS, looking for web uses is also a tiresome job, but Spacecadet has it right: search for name/alamy in various browsers.  If your images are elsewhere too, add the other stock sites with the name you use. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Reimar said:

I find looking for individual images a tiresome and thankless task.  I try not to look.  This is mostly for detecting thievery, but not practical with 5 or 10 thousand images.

For DACS, looking for web uses is also a tiresome job, but Spacecadet has it right: search for name/alamy in various browsers.  If your images are elsewhere too, add the other stock sites with the name you use. 

The real thieves don't use your name though. So this is only useful in finding legit uses.

In Google try:

YOUR PSEUDO alamy -site:alamy.com -site:alamy.es -site:alamy.de -site:alamyimages.fr -site:alamy.it -site:alamy.pt -site:acionline.biz -site:amanaimages.com -site:arabianeye.com

You could add a couple more distributors, but these are the ones that somehow come up most. Once they have been removed from the result, others will pop up, but usually not in droves.

wim

edit: For legit images, also use Google Books with your Pseudo.

Use that link in both Google Images and the regular Google search.

In Yandex, just use images that have been sold in their image search. However occasionally I have found images that had only been zoomed: in UK papers. And then they get nicked from there obviously.

Edited by wiskerke
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Thank you for your input gents. Getting ready to go out as it is a nice day and get more photos.

Catch you later.

Allan

• Love 1

51 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

How would you go about finding your images on a specific website eg) BBC, or online magazine?

What I mean is to trawl the entire online archive of just that website to find as many as possible ( all?) of your images used and credited?

I thought pointing to this topic could potentially resurrect it. 😁

In general like in google images, after your search terms add:  site:bbc.com

So: geogphotos site:bbc.com

Usually you get more images than your own, because there are more images on the same page. You sometimes get images that are on the same page, but not your own, even when it is present on that page. That suggests Google Images has some sort of limit. So it does pay to visit a page regardless.

There may have been links with images on that page, but because they were dynamic, are not there anymore. Like with newspapers. That's just like with a normal search. If you have a specific page address and know an image must have been there, use the Wayback Machine (Wikipedia) and search around the date the original page must have been published. (Or has been visited by the Google bot.) However this will be tedious and will not always lead to a result. Some links will be just as dynamic when archived.

wim

• Like 1

On 07/04/2022 at 11:37, Allan Bell said:

Allan

I'm afraid that I am lazy, I just use GOOGLE, have tried tineye, and their use to be a good search URL that I used and found a few unlicensed images with.  GOOGLE seems to work well for me and I found quite a few stolen images, one netted thousands for me via a GOOGLE search, others are usually just a takedown notice.

Chuck

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wiskerke said:

I thought pointing to this topic could potentially resurrect it. 😁

In general like in google images, after your search terms add:  site:bbc.com

So: geogphotos site:bbc.com

Thanks for the suggestion but I am not having much luck so far

To point out the obvious - we are talking about two different things.

1) Searching for an image use when you have the image and want to know how it has been used

2) Searching for image credits to find out which images have been used and where

5 hours ago, geogphotos said:

To point out the obvious - we are talking about two different things.

1) Searching for an image use when you have the image and want to know how it has been used

2) Searching for image credits to find out which images have been used and where

Yes. That site:cnn.com or site:bbc.com works for an image as well, but is useless. Unless you're searching if an image has been used more often by that client than the RF license details allow.

Normally you would use site: to see where a client has used your image or if a client has used more of your images in the past.

The -site:alamy is very useful to filter out all your images on Alamy. Or whatever other site you want to filter out.

Like: geogphotos alamy -site:ianmurraygeogphotos.blogspot.com -site:alamy.com -site:alamy.es -site:alamy.de -site:alamyimages.fr -site:alamy.it -site:alamy.pt -site:acionline.biz -site:amanaimages.com -site:arabianeye.com -site:latinstock.com.mx

wim

• Like 1

Thanks for resurrecting this thread wim.

I'm even more confused now.  Have used Pixsy to find images and they have been successful in finding two or three naughty uses but when I told Alamy they came back that they could not follow them up.

Thinking of getting Pixsy to chase them for me. I had a look but it is difficult to get into the foreign (to me) web sites.

Allan