Greats sales here on Alamy!

Another great sale on Alamy. It really made me happy:

Usage: Editorial, E-learning, website and social media and app, any size, single placement and design, worldwide, in perpetuity
Media: Website, app and social media
63 MB
5760 x 3840 pixels 
3 MB compressed
Placement: Single Placement
Image Size: Any size
Start: 19 December 2022
Duration: Unlimited

Amount: $0.24

Contributor revenue: $0.10

• Dislike 1

On 30/03/2022 at 13:58, geogphotos said:

I get the impression that it is those who are with microstock who - bizarrely - are the loudest voices complaining about low fees at Alamy. 

It certainly is a weird world that we live in.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ribeiroantonio said:

Another great sale on Alamy. It really made me happy:

Usage: Editorial, E-learning, website and social media and app, any size, single placement and design, worldwide, in perpetuity
Media: Website, app and social media
63 MB
5760 x 3840 pixels 
3 MB compressed
Placement: Single Placement
Image Size: Any size
Start: 19 December 2022
Duration: Unlimited

Amount: $0.24

Contributor revenue: $0.10

Not just sad, it's a total disgrace!

😠

Phil

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

Not just sad, it's a total disgrace!

😠

Phil

Hi Phil and Happy Christmas from Kerry! I've started my own (small and probably pointless) campaign with Alamy. Every time they post a Tweet on Twitter with some inane and skill-less collection of images, I tell them 1) They need to dig deeper in their vaults for better work and 2) that they need to pay the the better contributors more, to keep them.

Of course, I get ignored and my missives miss the target regularly. But, my mother (God rest her) said...if no one complains, nothing changes and the more that complain the more chance of change.

My point is...don't just tell each other how bad things are...tell Alamy! The more we complain (in numbers) the more likelihood of some change.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

Hi Phil and Happy Christmas from Kerry! I've started my own (small and probably pointless) campaign with Alamy. Every time they post a Tweet on Twitter with some inane and skill-less collection of images, I tell them 1) They need to dig deeper in their vaults for better work and 2) that they need to pay the the better contributors more, to keep them.

Of course, I get ignored and my missives miss the target regularly. But, my mother (God rest her) said...if no one complains, nothing changes and the more that complain the more chance of change.

My point is...don't just tell each other how bad things are...tell Alamy! The more we complain (in numbers) the more likelihood of some change.

Merry Xmas to you too! And here's hoping for a much improved New Year!

Glad to hear of your campaign, every drop counts!

I rarely do twitter as I could never see the point! And it's enough to keep FB and Insta fed regularly, at least they do seem to bring me clients!

I did tell James my thoughts when I met him at the NEC in 2021 but if anything things have gone further downhill in the last year.

I suspect that the corporate ethos will continue in it's profit above all else mindset until they kill the goose.

Phil

• Like 3

One 'development' I have started to notice more and more is that of syndication ( not just by PA Media). There are these content producing media companies that create editorial packages and then distribute across numerous websites/magazine titles including in different countries and languages.

Often the images do not have credits so they look like potential infringements - when you chase them you discover that one of these production companies has paid peanuts for an image and not only that they are making money from it through syndication.

The licence terms are so open that they can do just about what they want....in perpetuity.

They really are laughing all the way to the bank on the strength of our images. 

But what can be done? 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

One 'development' I have started to notice more and more is that of syndication ( not just by PA Media). There are these content producing media companies that create editorial packages and then distribute across numerous websites/magazine titles including in different countries and languages.

Often the images do not have credits so they look like potential infringements - when you chase them you discover that one of these production companies has paid peanuts for an image and not only that they are making money from it through syndication.

The licence terms are so open that they can do just about what they want....in perpetuity.

But what can be done? 

Complain incessently! Loudly! 

😠

Phil

16 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

Complain incessently! Loudly! 

😠

Phil

Nobody is listening. They have no need to listen let alone care.

There are hundreds of millions of images to choose from and it is a buyer's market. 

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

But what can be done? 

To  quote you back, "Participation is optional". Pulling images may be your only recourse.

2 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

To  quote you back, "Participation is optional". Pulling images may be your only recourse.

Pulling images is an option but how would it help me?

I make enough from this to have a useful supplement to my pension income and that helps preserve my savings.

Money from stock funds the making of more images for stock. I enjoy that. 

I'm just glad that I am not starting out now but have 80k images in the marketplace. 

Edited by geogphotos

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Pulling images is an option but how would it help me?

I make enough from this to have a useful supplement to my pension income and that helps preserve my savings.

Money from stock funds the making of more images for stock. I enjoy that. 

I'm just glad that I am not starting out now but have 80k images in the marketplace. 

Congrats on passing 80k. A lot of hard work.

Allan

• Like 1

7 hours ago, geogphotos said:

But what can be done? 

Cry! 😞

59 minutes ago, Jansos said:

Cry! 😞

Just keep going.......and think of the $900 net sale last month ( not Alamy)😁

Think of ££££ DACS payment, think that all these tiddler sales for web sites will quite likely lead to infringement money😁

Basically, just keep at it. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Basically, just keep at it. 

Ian, well said. I'm starting with a very small portfolio, but I've been pushing it every year and I'm seeing better and better results (although the commission change was a real kicker - I have actually beat last year's net though).

Sales-to-date.jpg

Revenue.jpg

No, I'm not very happy about the low price licenses. But it's a reflection of the market we're in. Driven by the large competitor's business models. I'll say 2 things:

1. Alamy would surely try to achieve best prices it can - it's a business, that's what they try to do.

2. Some markets may not pay very well, things are generally a lot cheaper there and they can't afford 'western' prices. Short term it sucks. Long term, their purchasing power will increase. It won't have helped to have pulled out of some of the largest markets a long time ago because they didn't pay enough at the start. Got to plan for the future.

Steve

p.s. sorry, couldn't work out how to put smaller thumbnails in.

p.p.s. long term, not sure about the sustainability of stock, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

p.p.p.s. yes copyright infringement in countries with lax laws is a huge problem.

Edited by Steve F
image size

15 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Ian, well said. I'm starting with a very small portfolio, but I've been pushing it every year and I'm seeing better and better results (although the commission change was a real kicker - I have actually beat last year's net though).

Sales-to-date.jpg

Revenue.jpg

No, I'm not very happy about the low price licenses. But it's a reflection of the market we're in. Driven by the large competitor's business models. I'll say 2 things:

1. Alamy would surely try to achieve best prices it can - it's a business, that's what they try to do.

2. Some markets may not pay very well, things are generally a lot cheaper there and they can't afford 'western' prices. Short term it sucks. Long term, their purchasing power will increase. It won't have helped to have pulled out of some of the largest markets a long time ago because they didn't pay enough at the start. Got to plan for the future.

Steve

p.p.s. long term, not sure about the sustainability of stock, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

p.p.s. yes copyright infringement in countries with lax laws is a huge problem.

Those are good looking graphs Steve!  My sales volume has always been on an upward slope since 2005 (more or less), but my revenue has been on a downward slope since 2011

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve F said:

Sales-to-date.jpg

Revenue.jpg

Steve

p.p.s. yes copyright infringement in countries with lax laws is a huge problem.

Prices nosedived literally overnight, that's not market forces, that's a conscious decision. You can also make money by buying the company then sell images back cheaply to PA publications, which Alamy used to sell to them for 10x as much. Eventually you'll make good on your initial outlay and begin to show profit. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I registered in 2006, didn't submit anything until 2008. With 21 images in my portfolio and no sales, I soon forgot about Alamy. A few years later I got an email informing me of a payment for about a half dozen sales, and with that I began submitting more and more, and gotten more and more sales. Prices soon tapered off and regretted I should have done more early on...

• Love 1