Greats sales here on Alamy!

8 hours ago, Steve F said:

Ian, well said. I'm starting with a very small portfolio, but I've been pushing it every year and I'm seeing better and better results (although the commission change was a real kicker - I have actually beat last year's net though).

Well done Steve fantastic sales volume  ( approx 200 pa) for a relatively small number of images.

I am pleased that I stayed with the RM licence model ( and never dabbled with microstock) because it has opened up 3 sales channels of increasing importance:

1) DACS claim

2) Infringements

3) Non-exclusivity

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Steve F said:

Ian, well said. I'm starting with a very small portfolio, but I've been pushing it every year and I'm seeing better and better results (although the commission change was a real kicker - I have actually beat last year's net though).

Sales-to-date.jpg

Revenue.jpg

No, I'm not very happy about the low price licenses. But it's a reflection of the market we're in. Driven by the large competitor's business models. I'll say 2 things:

1. Alamy would surely try to achieve best prices it can - it's a business, that's what they try to do.

2. Some markets may not pay very well, things are generally a lot cheaper there and they can't afford 'western' prices. Short term it sucks. Long term, their purchasing power will increase. It won't have helped to have pulled out of some of the largest markets a long time ago because they didn't pay enough at the start. Got to plan for the future.

Steve

p.s. sorry, couldn't work out how to put smaller thumbnails in.

p.p.s. long term, not sure about the sustainability of stock, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

p.p.s. yes copyright infringement in countries with lax laws is a huge problem.

Well said and well done! 👍

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Those are good looking graphs Steve!  My sales volume has always been on an upward slope since 2005 (more or less), but my revenue has been on a downward slope since 2011

Thanks Michael. 2011, hhmmm... sounds similar to what Ian showed with his graphs.

9 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

Prices nosedived literally overnight, that's not market forces, that's a conscious decision. You can also make money by buying the company then sell images back cheaply to PA publications, which Alamy used to sell to them for 10x as much. Eventually you'll make good on your initial outlay and begin to show profit. 

Agreed that is not good either.

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Well done Steve fantastic sales volume  ( approx 200 pa) for a relatively small number of images.

I am pleased that I stayed with the RM licence model ( and never dabbled with microstock) because it has opened up 3 sales channels of increasing importance:

1) DACS claim

2) Infringements

3) Non-exclusivity

Thanks Ian. I'm trying to just shoot what I think may sell. I thought I'd been adding a lot of pictures this year, but you've blown me out of the water! Yes, RM seems to work well.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont get many sales (3 or 4 per month) but have usually been very happy with the revenue from each sale. Today however I have regustered 5 sales for a total of 33 cents. This is a real joke. Is there any way to opt out of such insulting sales and has anyone any idea who could have such a deal with Alamy that gets them such buying terms. Stock photography appears to be on a steady decline in terms of contributor income. IMHO

• Thanks 1

On 31/12/2022 at 11:46, Rolf Adlercreutz said:

I can't understand the business model of selling stuff for 12 cents, no matter of how many sales Alamy make. And it is insulting to us, the photographers. This year I had a good year in the number of sales. As for money, not so good. My best year was 2010.

I agree, it can't be profitable at all. The processing/storage costs must outweigh any benefit. Perhaps they are just trying to weather the storm and hang on until such a time that things improve, hopefully. Having said that, I had more sales this year than any previous year (since 2014) and my revenue was only slightly down ($200) on my previous top year's earnings of $8k.

• Thanks 1

On 29/03/2022 at 18:18, geogphotos said:

I had one relicensed for over $900. The first licence for the same image at the same price was in 2020.

So, not all bad news.

The first time I posted about this I was told that i was boasting so perhaps the moaning on the forum does deter people from sharing good news.

Congrats 😊 It’s good to see this Ian, I’ve just had a mid $$$ for a book cover which is my best sale ever. Seeing other $$$ sales on here is encouraging. 👍

• Love 2
  • Like 1

On 31/12/2022 at 06:46, Rolf Adlercreutz said:

I can't understand the business model of selling stuff for 12 cents, no matter of how many sales Alamy make. And it is insulting to us, the photographers. This year I had a good year in the number of sales. As for money, not so good. My best year was 2010.

Rolf,

You have some wonderful images, older stuff, on Alamy.  I am jealous.

Your old B & W's are in my opinion are what makes Alamy what it is or was.

Chuck 

• Love 1
  • Like 1