Hardware Questions: Pen Display Tablet or Drawing Tablet? New iMac or MacBook Pro and monitor? Large Pen Display that doubles as a monitor?

Marianne

Question

I am in a quandary about where to go with hardware purchases. Sorry this is so long but I've got a lot to consider. I need to purchase either a new iMac or a monitor and, instead of getting an iPad which can only run PS and LR mobile, I plan to get a pen display tablet where I can draw on a screen that displays my images. But I'm not sure which combination of options makes the most sense. 

I just had a new battery and keyboard replaced on my 3-year-old MacBook Pro, which I supercharged with 32MB RAM and a 2TB hard drive, using my 2011 iMac as a monitor when needed, though I mainly use the Retina screen on my laptop which has a very detailed display because the 27" screen is hard on my neck since it's so large even when situated far back on an old deep teacher's desk. 

In addition to shooting stock, I've been selling more fine art through agents and via POD sites, and am often working with 42 and 61MP files.

I do a lot of straight photography, but also do occasional freehand painting/illustrations in PS and would like to do more of that.

I borrowed a Nikon scanner from a friend and am hoping to digitize a lot of old 35mm negatives from the 1970's as well as some old family slides my dad took in the 1960s-1970s. I'll do my best with dust beforehand, but know I'll have a lot of spotting to do.

I have a very old Wacom Bamboo tablet but I want to upgrade to a pen display tablet where I can actually see my image on the tablet but am in a quandary as to what size to get. While the Cintiques look amazing, I think I'll opt for one of the less costly brands such as Huion or XP-Pen. I  was planning to purchase an iPad but since it only runs the mobile versions of LR & PS, a pen drawing tablet makes more sense. I'm just not sure what size makes sense.

One option I'm considering is a large display XP-Pen that can double as monitor (the newest one has great color fidelity) but is working on a massive drawing tablet that I can only use at my desk (about 26" with the express keys) a crazy option for photo editing and occasional drawing? It can tilt like a drawing board which is great but I'm only 4'11' and worry that working on a huge display on a desk will be hard on my back? I love the idea of a tablet doubling as a monitor but wonder if a portable 13 or 16 inch drawing tablet  that I can use at a desk and on the couch is a better option? I hope that as the world opens up I'll travel more, which includes extended stays with my daughter, where portability makes sense, and I've had no problem making huge prints that I've edited on my 15" laptop, with excellent color and clarity, though there are times when a larger screen would speed things along. So, if I opt for the smaller drawing tablet, I should get a monitor or a new iMac. 

Do any of you use a pen display tablet? What size do you use and why do you like it? 

I find that my back and neck are much better since I've been doing most work on my laptop but I do want a larger screen sometimes but have been debating monitor or iMac? Getting an iMac would probably extend the life of my laptop, but if a monitor costs a lot less with better color fidelity, maybe an iMac is more than I need? Do most of you have a desktop & laptop? Or do you prefer a laptop and monitor? Why?

Three years ago, I got the souped-up MacBook Pro instead of upgrading my then 7-year-old 2011 iMac, thinking it would let me buy one computer instead of two, but I didn't think about the fact that laptops just don't seem to last. I can't use my current iMac as anything more than a monitor these days and even then it's iffy due to age and hard on my neck due to its size so I need a new monitor or iMac. I know there are lots of monitor discussions here so I just want to know your thoughts on monitor vs. iMac, and can research accordingly.

If I do opt for an iMac, I'm wondering what the minimal 24" iMac purchase is that you'd recommend to work on large files in PS and LR Classic or would you recommend the one computer laptop/monitor option since you can't get more than 16GB RAM on a new iMac? Is a monitor/laptop a cheaper option or does the wear and tear on a laptop as your only computer negate any savings?

Thanks for your help.

2 hours ago, Marianne said:

I am in a quandary about where to go with hardware purchases. Sorry this is so long but I've got a lot to consider. I need to purchase either a new iMac or a monitor and, instead of getting an iPad which can only run PS and LR mobile, I plan to get a pen display tablet where I can draw on a screen that displays my images. But I'm not sure which combination of options makes the most sense. 

I borrowed a Nikon scanner from a friend and am hoping to digitize a lot of old 35mm negatives from the 1970's as well as some old family slides my dad took in the 1960s-1970s. I'll do my best with dust beforehand, but know I'll have a lot of spotting to do.

I find that my back and neck are much better since I've been doing most work on my laptop but I do want a larger screen sometimes but have been debating monitor or iMac? Getting an iMac would probably extend the life of my laptop, but if a monitor costs a lot less with better color fidelity, maybe an iMac is more than I need? Do most of you have a desktop & laptop? Or do you prefer a laptop and monitor? Why?

Three years ago, I got the souped-up MacBook Pro instead of upgrading my then 7-year-old 2011 iMac, thinking it would let me buy one computer instead of two, but I didn't think about the fact that laptops just don't seem to last. I can't use my current iMac as anything more than a monitor these days and even then it's iffy due to age and hard on my neck due to its size so I need a new monitor or iMac. I know there are lots of monitor discussions here so I just want to know your thoughts on monitor vs. iMac, and can research accordingly.

If I do opt for an iMac, I'm wondering what the minimal 24" iMac purchase is that you'd recommend to work on large files in PS and LR Classic or would you recommend the one computer laptop/monitor option since you can't get more than 16GB RAM on a new iMac? Is a monitor/laptop a cheaper option or does the wear and tear on a laptop as your only computer negate any savings?

Thanks for your help.

A lot of questions so just a couple of comments. 

Firstly, if you are planning to copy negs and slides, use a camera, not an old scanner. This is the overwhelming consensus apart from one or maybe two dissidents. Happy to provide advice on that if you go that way (there is a huge thread on this topic here as well but it might be hard to find the juicy bits). 

Secondly, what is your budget for a new Mac? Are you aware that Apple has just discontinued the 27" iMac? The 24" is really a consumer computer. 

I use the Huion Kamvas 13" and love it.  I do a lot of graphics and artwork as well, and it is a great tablet.  I would probably like a 16" but since it isn't in my budget I stick with my 13".  It is great, especially if you like to lie back and work on it in your lap.  I rarely use the adjustable tray that comes with it.

The only drawback is it requires 2 usb ports and an hdmi port unless you have a C port on your computer.  If you have a C port, then you can use their C cable (which they sell separately).  You can't just use any C cable.  The C port on the tablet is recessed in, so many cords won't fit.  I think Huion did this on purpose so you are stuck buying their cable, which is more expensive than most of them.

I do highly recommend the tablet though.  It simply duplicates you main monitor.  Easy to set up.  Pen does not require charging.

Jill

• Love 1

12 hours ago, MDM said:

For one thing you can produce raw images which are great for noise (actually grain) reduction.

Also great for converting to positives.  You can convert dozens at once using Adobe Camera Raw - I've done up to a hundred in one go.  Let me know if you want more info.

Over the last few evenings I've copied over 650 monochrome negs using a DSLR with a bellows unit, slice copying attachment and a Rodenstock enlarger lens.  They are supposed to be better for copying as they are 'flat field' and I already had it from the dark (room) ages.  All manual operation of course but that's not a problem.

I've had a Huion tablet for several years and never had a problem with it, so I have no experience of their support.

31 minutes ago, MDM said:

A lot of questions so just a couple of comments. 

Firstly, if you are planning to copy negs and slides, use a camera, not an old scanner. This is the overwhelming consensus apart from one or maybe two dissidents. Happy to provide advice on that if you go that way (there is a huge thread on this topic here as well but it might be hard to find the juicy bits). 

Secondly, what is your budget for a new Mac? Are you aware that Apple has just discontinued the 27" iMac? The 24" is really a consumer computer. 

I had no idea you could copy negatives with a camera! I'll have to check that out. Thanks. 

After two 27" iMacs since 2006 I've realized that the 27" kills my neck - I'm constantly stressing my neck by tilting my head up given the fact that I'm so short even with it positioned far back on my large desk, so it's not an option for me - if it was I'd just use the old 27" as a monitor until it dies.  I do worry the 24" isn't powerful enough for my needs but the screen size is better for me and wanted to know people's thoughts on that. 

22 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I had no idea you could copy negatives with a camera! I'll have to check that out. Thanks. 

After two 27" iMacs since 2006 I've realized that the 27" kills my neck - I'm constantly stressing my neck by tilting my head up given the fact that I'm so short even with it positioned far back on my large desk, so it's not an option for me - if it was I'd just use the old 27" as a monitor until it dies.  I do worry the 24" isn't powerful enough for my needs but the screen size is better for me and wanted to know people's thoughts on that. 

Nikon make a couple of excellent and relatively inexpensive devices for copying slides that attach onto the lens which really simplifies the whole process. I know you are a Sony user. If you have a decent macro lens then you probably only need to get a few bits and pieces as well as the slide copier - the ES-2 is best if you are doing negs as well as mounted slides. From experience, the results are far superior to scanning with the Nikon LS4000 scanner which was a decent machine in its day. For one thing you can produce raw images which are great for noise (actually grain) reduction.

Depending on your budget and given you are a serious professional user, the new Mac Studio desktop machines (announced on Mar 8th) coupled with a 24 inch monitor (an Eizo or BenQ) would be my recommendation. You would probably find the 24" iMac limiting down the line if you needed more RAM although these new Macs need less RAM than the older Intel ones. 

I was wondering why you find a 27" monitor a strain on the neck as I find the opposite - bending my neck to look down at a laptop gives me neck ache more. You can usually lower monitors in any case. 

Edited by MDM

I previously used a Wacom Cintiq 13" HD but frankly, as great as it is, it was an overkill for me. I gave it to my art student daughter who's delighted with it. Horses for courses in my case.

wacom-cintiq-13-hd-graphics-tablet-used-

That Mac studio looks ideal - with a Eizo or BenQ monitor it would be much more configurable than an iMac - I'm glad the lower specs of the 24" iMac had me holding off. 

Still debating a Wacom Cintique 16" vs a 16" Huiron or Xp-Pen. The 24" Huiron and XP-Pen's are also interesting since they have very high res screens- at 1/3 or 1//4th the cost of the Wacom's but the Wacom pens and build quality are supposed to be better and $700-800 is a lot to pay for a brand I'm not entirely sure of where the only support is via chat or email (and only during Chinese business hours in the case of Huiron). I'm leaning toward XP-Pen since their customer service, though via chat/email is supposed to be excellent and their price point is so much less than Wacom. Anyone have experience with them?

People seem to either love or hate the Huiron - great if it works but customer service if you get a lemon seems to be an issue. Though their site has a 30-day return policy. But do you pay to ship it to China?  B&H has a few models, a safer bet. 

Thanks for your input. 

9 hours ago, Marianne said:

kills my neck - I'm constantly stressing my neck by tilting my head up given the fact that I'm so short

Sorry to state the obvious but you could sit on a higher seat so your head was more in line with the center of the screen.

I believe the actual height recommended puts your eye level about a 15 degree angle above the center of the screem screen.

Allan

6 hours ago, Marianne said:

That Mac studio looks ideal - with a Eizo or BenQ monitor it would be much more configurable than an iMac - I'm glad the lower specs of the 24" iMac had me holding off. 

Still debating a Wacom Cintique 16" vs a 16" Huiron or Xp-Pen. The 24" Huiron and XP-Pen's are also interesting since they have very high res screens- at 1/3 or 1//4th the cost of the Wacom's but the Wacom pens and build quality are supposed to be better and $700-800 is a lot to pay for a brand I'm not entirely sure of where the only support is via chat or email (and only during Chinese business hours in the case of Huiron). I'm leaning toward XP-Pen since their customer service, though via chat/email is supposed to be excellent and their price point is so much less than Wacom. Anyone have experience with them?

People seem to either love or hate the Huiron - great if it works but customer service if you get a lemon seems to be an issue. Though their site has a 30-day return policy. But do you pay to ship it to China?  B&H has a few models, a safer bet. 

Thanks for your input. 

I bought my Huion through Amazon so if you do that you have their 30 day protection.  I have twice had interactions with Huion support and had no problems.  Not hardware issues, simply set up issues that they helped me with. I also have a 20" IPS Huion monitor that I use a pen with, but it has to be charged, so I don't use it as a tablet much anymore, mainly as a monitor.

I have no experience with the XP-Pen, so can't help you there. From what I have read, also a good choice.  I would love a Cintinq, but not ready to mortgage the farm to have one.

Jill

17 hours ago, Marianne said:

I’ve recently successfully digitised a couple of hundred slides. It was pretty easy. I used a macro lens and a light box, camera on tripod, and a cardboard cutout blutaced to the light box to hold the slide in place. If negs without slide covers you could try something like this

https://clifforth.co.uk/

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry to state the obvious but you could sit on a higher seat so your head was more in line with the center of the screen.

I believe the actual height recommended puts your eye level about a 15 degree angle above the center of the screem screen.

Allan

I can't - to get my eyes slightly above the middle of the screen, my thighs would hit the bottom of the desk - the world isn't made for short people. My daughter who is 5'2" had the same experience when using my iMac so when she got one recently, she opted for the 24" which is a much better size. 

I'm going to go with a 24" Artisti XP-Pen for now, which has a very high resolution screen (2560 X 1440) with >90% ARGB accuracy, that I can both draw on, tilt to various angles or use at 90 degrees as a regular monitor. I may try putting the 27" off to the right on a large table so I can use it when needed but not sit in front of it all day. If that doesn't work, I can retire it (after 10 years) and use it as a second TV or Netflix etc until it dies.  It can be color corrected, so should be a good choice for my work. 

I'll let you all know how well the XP-Pen works. I've read exhaustive reviews and for a little over $700 (on sale now) it is far less costly than the $2,000 Wacom Cintique, albeit not the same quality but if it lasts a third as long, I come out even. I'm eager to try more illustrations and have a full size canvas for digital painting when I work on mixed media photographs. With a brand new battery, I'm hoping my laptop will last for a lot longer and since I "future proofed" it with 32GB RAM and  2 high end graphics cards and 2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9 it's more than powerful enough to run all my programs for the foreseeable future. I was going to buy my first iPad, mostly for the drawing apps, but I think that this will be a much better choice. 

If I was doing portrait work, I'd need a BenQ or Eizio monitor, but most of my people images pre-Covid were shot for local magazines and their art directors color correct and change the color profile to CMYK so the color on my laptop alone is sufficient for my work. The printer I use (Millers) does excellent color correction when requested and I've never had an issue with a print. I know Mac screens run a little blue and if I'm really not sure of the color, I can always do a test print. 

Thanks all for your input. 

22 minutes ago, Sally said:

I’ve recently successfully digitised a couple of hundred slides. It was pretty easy. I used a macro lens and a light box, camera on tripod, and a cardboard cutout blutaced to the light box to hold the slide in place. If negs without slide covers you could try something like this

It looks great - better than other film holders I've seen. I'll have to see if they sell it in the US.

5 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Also great for converting to positives.  You can convert dozens at once using Adobe Camera Raw - I've done up to a hundred in one go.  Let me know if you want more info.

Over the last few evenings I've copied over 650 monochrome negs using a DSLR with a bellows unit, slice copying attachment and a Rodenstock enlarger lens.  They are supposed to be better for copying as they are 'flat field' and I already had it from the dark (room) ages.  All manual operation of course but that's not a problem.

I've had a Huion tablet for several years and never had a problem with it, so I have no experience of their support.

3 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

I bought my Huion through Amazon so if you do that you have their 30 day protection.  I have twice had interactions with Huion support and had no problems.  Not hardware issues, simply set up issues that they helped me with. I also have a 20" IPS Huion monitor that I use a pen with, but it has to be charged, so I don't use it as a tablet much anymore, mainly as a monitor.

I have no experience with the XP-Pen, so can't help you there. From what I have read, also a good choice.  I would love a Cintinq, but not ready to mortgage the farm to have one.

Jill

Thanks - Vincent I may want more info.

I was actually leaning toward a Huiron 24" if I could get one from B&H , so I'd have excellent customer service and a great return policy, but with the XP-Pen on sale for over $100 less than the Huiron, I'm ready to hit "buy."  It doesn't have a laminated screen, which is why I was leaning toward the Huriron, but you can get replaceable screen protectors (so if they get scratched, you buy a new one). They also give you two pens. And I can get 4 new screen protectors for the price difference of the Huiron. Paralax isn't supposed to be an issue, and having worked with a regular tablet for years or my finger on the track pad of my laptop, I think I can account for any issues if it's slight. I look at where the cursor shows up anyway. 

I've wanted a Cintique since I first saw them at the PhotoExpo years ago but the price is just too high. If I was a full-time graphic artist/illustrator then I'd probably have one, but for occasional illustrations and photo editing, I think the XP-Pen will be more than sufficient. 

35 minutes ago, Marianne said:

It looks great - better than other film holders I've seen. I'll have to see if they sell it in the US.

It ships to US. It’s just a one man band operation so I don’t think you’ll find it anywhere else.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Sally said:

There are a number of different devices like this but this just looks like a holder for the film so you have the problem of aligning the camera on the tripod to be perfectly parallel with the film. This is actually critical or parts of the image will be out of focus. That is why I recommend the Nikon holders which attach to the lens so alignment is not an issue and it can be a fast process. The other issue with a holder like that is that it is going to have to be flat on a surface so you end up bending over a tripod which can put a lot of strain on the neck and back if you do it for a long time. With the Nikon holders, the camera sits nicely in a horizontal position on a tripod. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

Well I ended up calling B&H and they price-matched Hurion's sale price which is about $40 more than the XP-Pen sale price (and $150 off the regular price) - This way I get a laminated screen, which I really wanted,  the brand you all recommended, and peace of mind that I can call someone I trust if there's a problem. I had to get a hub since it's not USB-C compatible, but I was needing one anyway - and I'll have it sometime tomorrow instead of two weeks from now. 

Thanks again for everyone's input. I'll let you know how it goes 😎

Edited by Marianne

2 hours ago, MDM said:

There are a number of different devices like this but this just looks like a holder for the film so you have the problem of aligning the camera on the tripod to be perfectly parallel with the film. This is actually critical or parts of the image will be out of focus. That is why I recommend the Nikon holders which attach to the lens so alignment is not an issue and it can be a fast process. The other issue with a holder like that is that it is going to have to be flat on a surface so you end up bending over a tripod which can put a lot of strain on the neck and back if you do it for a long time. With the Nikon holders, the camera sits nicely in a horizontal position on a tripod. 

I'll check out that Nikon holder after I do my spring cleaning/organizing of my archive. I also bought 2 12 TB G-Tech drives to transfer images from myriad disks that are reaching their 7-year limit so I can reorganize my archive with digital files dating back to 2005, and mirror it on the two drives all in one place.  I transferred most of my archive to a 4TB LaCie and 6TB G-Tech drive a couple of years ago, but after adding all my new and much larger images they are nearly full.

I have other 4TB drives for carbon copy cloner backups but the archive has really grown and I was backing up some of it to other portable drives. 

I'm still contemplating purchasing (my first ever!) iPad for wireless use with Apple sidecar once I decide whether to spend an exorbitant amount for the pro's internal storage or simply go with the Air, which is what I'm leaning toward. I want to baby this laptop so it lasts and having an iPad for email/web use will cut down on how much I use it and give me a wireless tablet so I can switch between the large one on my desk and one I can use from my couch. I'm really leaning toward the new Air. 

Ironic that I spent more on backup drives than anything else today, but protecting those fleeting digital assets, while time consuming, is so important. 

8 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I'll check out that Nikon holder after I do my spring cleaning/organizing of my archive. I also bought 2 12 TB G-Tech drives to transfer images from myriad disks that are reaching their 7-year limit so I can reorganize my archive with digital files dating back to 2005, and mirror it on the two drives all in one place.  I transferred most of my archive to a 4TB LaCie and 6TB G-Tech drive a couple of years ago, but after adding all my new and much larger images they are nearly full.

I have other 4TB drives for carbon copy cloner backups but the archive has really grown and I was backing up some of it to other portable drives. 

I'm still contemplating purchasing (my first ever!) iPad for wireless use with Apple sidecar once I decide whether to spend an exorbitant amount for the pro's internal storage or simply go with the Air, which is what I'm leaning toward. I want to baby this laptop so it lasts and having an iPad for email/web use will cut down on how much I use it and give me a wireless tablet so I can switch between the large one on my desk and one I can use from my couch. I'm really leaning toward the new Air. 

Ironic that I spent more on backup drives than anything else today, but protecting those fleeting digital assets, while time consuming, is so important. 

I’ve been using iPads for years. I think I may have gotten my first one at a discount bundled with my iPhone 5. I do all my email and forum chat on it, plus searching the Internet for whatever. Shopping…Amazon, you name it. You will love your iPad. I keep mine near the chair I sit in, so it’s ready to use at a moment’s notice. I’m on my second iPad.

• Love 1

If you're going to use an iPad as a secondary monitor, you'll probably want a larger one than the standard.  My use case for an iPad is for an e-book reader and media player, and such when I'm in bed and to check mail when I'm traveling.   SideCar works, but isn't as simple as using a second monitor.  I've got along with the basic standard for my uses.  If you want to load videos and music on one, go for more memory, but if you use YouTube and the streaming services for music and videos, not really necessary.   This is my second one.  The iPad Air is has a screen about an inch bigger than mine.  

I got a plain protective case without a keyboard for mine which holds it up on horizontal, but not vertical.   Getting SideCar set up is a bit fussy as far as I'm concerned.  Might be easier with newer iPads and Macs.  I don't have an iPencil which I suspect would make things easier.  Adobe programs seem to cooperate well enough.  I've got Lightroom Classic open on the iPad and this on the main screen. 

Edited by Rebecca Ore
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Rebecca Ore said:

If you're going to use an iPad as a secondary monitor, you'll probably want a larger one than the standard.  My use case for an iPad is for an e-book reader and media player, and such when I'm in bed and to check mail when I'm traveling.   SideCar works, but isn't as simple as using a second monitor.  I've got along with the basic standard for my uses.  If you want to load videos and music on one, go for more memory, but if you use YouTube and the streaming services for music and videos, not really necessary.   This is my second one.  The iPad Air is has a screen about an inch bigger than mine.  

I got a plain protective case without a keyboard for mine which holds it up on horizontal, but not vertical.   Getting SideCar set up is a bit fussy as far as I'm concerned.  Might be easier with newer iPads and Macs.  I don't have an iPencil which I suspect would make things easier.  Adobe programs seem to cooperate well enough.  I've got Lightroom Classic open on the iPad and this on the main screen. 

I plan to use it for email, web browsing etc. and with Sidecar and an Apple Pencil for photo editing akin to a pen display tablet, not as a second monitor. My daughter has one of the newer iPad Air models and I found playing around on it with the Apple Pencil for drawing and animation was fun - it's a nice size, though the added inch of the iPad Pro would be nice, it's so much more expensive. I'm hoping it'll be safe enough to go to the mall soon and check them out at the Apple store. (My doctor advised me not to get a booster since I had such a severe autoimmune response to my second vaccine, so I'm still a little skittish as they've lifted mask mandates here in NY but I'm also eager to get back out into the world). 

The guy who helped me at B&H today said he'd help me get sidecar set up and I can also call Apple once I decide which iPad to get if I can't get it working. I always worry these things won't be as easy as I'd like...

FedEx says my new 24" pen display will be here tomorrow. I know it's not a Cintique which I've coveted since seeing them at PhotoExpo years ago, but I'm excited to be able to use a large display for photo editing and drawing. 

On 09/03/2022 at 23:30, Marianne said:

For copying slides I put them on a light box or on Perspex with a flash below, under a frame I cut out of black card and put a tube of thin black card on top between the slide and the lens to stop light from above / reflections.
Extremely low tech and works perfectly well. The biggest sale I've had recently was a medium format slide I took in 1993 and digitised just like this. 

-Just noticed Sally above does exactly the same. It works.

Edited by Phil Robinson
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, MDM said:

I use spirit levels on the back of the camera to line up square with the holder. Camera looking straight down and held by tripod. It works.

Allan

19 hours ago, Sally said:

He ought to be paying us commission. I mentioned the same item in another thread too.

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

I use spirit levels on the back of the camera to line up square with the holder. Camera looking straight down and held by tripod. It works.

Allan

But you said you were unsuccessful and your images were out of focus so that does not sound like a solution that works. Bending over a tripod is also not very ergonomic. I think the only disadvantage to the Nikon holders is that they only do 35mm. Otherwise they provide the perfect solution in my opinion. 

30 minutes ago, MDM said:

But you said you were unsuccessful and your images were out of focus so that does not sound like a solution that works. Bending over a tripod is also not very ergonomic. I think the only disadvantage to the Nikon holders is that they only do 35mm. Otherwise they provide the perfect solution in my opinion. 

What I was getting at in the post was that the film negative was out of focus even though the prints looked sharp.

Allan