Here we go again - "personal use"

On 21/12/2021 at 18:59, Phil Robinson said:

It's sold again, for ""personal use"

WPJBE0.jpg

Sweepstake is now open for when the refund will come through after they realise they are not getting drugs in the post...

About 5 weeks ago I had a similar sale, of a pack of medication, PU, and it has not yet been refunded.

Today, the same image sold again, also PU. Will it be refunded this time, who knows? It's not easy to think of a valid reason for such sales. Any ideas?

Lo and behold! Image sold on 21st.  refunded on 22nd.

Edited by Stan Pritchard
More information.

1 hour ago, Stan Pritchard said:

About 5 weeks ago I had a similar sale, of a pack of medication, PU, and it has not yet been refunded.

Today, the same image sold again, also PU. Will it be refunded this time, who knows? It's not easy to think of a valid reason for such sales. Any ideas?

Wall art for a pharmacist?

Allan

21 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

Maybe we should do that for  all 280,541,341 images currently in stock.

But it might solve the problem for you at least. It's a start.

It does seem to be a particular problem with drugs- presumably being ordered by Americans who think they've got a bargain.

Believe it or not, it's illegal for the government to negotiate prices for prescription drugs in the US, so they can cost ten times as much as they do here.

Edited by spacecadet

3 hours ago, Stan Pritchard said:

This image and another similar one sold a few months ago and both refunded a couple of days later.

Yesterday I had a refund for a PU sale from Jan 2019.

1 hour ago, Phil Robinson said:

Yikes! That's ridiculous. I'd definitely take that personally.

P.S. Strangely enough, I've never had a PU or Presentation refund (that I can remember anyway).

Edited by John Mitchell

I just can't understand why Alamy don't put a big warning on personal use sales before the customer clicks BUY to the effect "Please be aware that you are buying the rights to this image, not the object in it" or something. It would save everyone a lot of work / time / drug-related disappointment.

Edited by Phil Robinson
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

This image and another similar one sold a few months ago and both refunded a couple of days later.

Unbelievable bad business practise for Alamy, and very worrying for contributors. Until now I would have thought a refund from nearly 2 years ago was impossible. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Unbelievable bad business practise for Alamy, and very worrying for contributors. Until now I would have thought a refund from nearly 2 years ago was impossible. 

Alamy should come down on this pdq. What on earth is their explanation? Not only does this clobber the contributor but Alamy must lose revenue too.

One month may be acceptable, but two years totally unacceptable. Terms for licence sales should limit the refund period the same as refunds for goods purchased from a retailer.

Edited by Dave Richards
added text.
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

Alamy should come down on this pdq. What on earth is their explanation? Not only does this clobber the contributor but Alamy must lose revenue too.

One month may be acceptable, but two years totally unacceptable. Terms for licence sales should limit the refund period the same as refunds for goods purchased from a retailer.

+1

Allan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

And there it is! It took just under two days.
There must be a way to stop this happening again and again and again.... 

Maybe put a BIG warning in your extra information box?

Or else do something like this:

MagrittePipe.jpg

😂

wim

7 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

or is it........?

😂

Lots of sayings that include pipe. 😁

Only a few include smoke. 😎

We have one that -translated- goes like this: giving the pipe to Martin. It means: kicking the bucket. Or simply quitting according to some.

The French have casser sa pipe, breaking one's pipe, again: kicking the bucket.

Health Warning: I'll kick your bucket and break your pipe if you ask for a refund!

wim

• 7 months later...

And again. Yet again. 2DCXEJF.jpg

Sold for Personal Use, refunded a day later.

How hard can it be to put a message before a personal use sale along the lines of

"YOU ARE BUYING THE RIGHTS TO USE THIS IMAGE, NOT THE OBJECT IN THE PHOTO. REFUNDS CANNOT BE GIVEN" ?

It would save time and effort for EVERYONE, it wouldn't anger 'customers' because the people who think they are buying drugs online are highly unlikely to be professional image buyers and yes, it would be legal - you can't get refunds on downloaded music if it wasn't the song you thought it was.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

How hard can it be to put a message before a personal use sale along the lines of

I've said this a few times- you could do that yourself. It's not a complete answer, but it's not too onerous unless you have hundreds of them.

Your caption reads "Co-codamol painkillers in box of 100". Just like a product listing. It's obvious to us that it's an image licence, but it evidently isn't to Americans and others, being fleeced for medications.

Incidentally, the wholesale price in the UK appears to be £2.84 but they're prescription-only.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I've said this a few times- you could do that yourself. It's not a complete answer, but it's not too onerous unless you have hundreds of them.

Your caption reads "Co-codamol painkillers in box of 100". Just like a product listing. It's obvious to us that it's an image licence, but it evidently isn't to Americans and others, being fleeced for medications.

Incidentally, the wholesale price in the UK appears to be £2.84 but they're prescription-only.

It would be SO much easier for Alamy to do it, once, rather than relying on contributors to change every caption that might be affected. Most of these refunds for me have been on medicines, but not all - one on a gold coin and two for fish bought in a supermarket, as well as others I can't remember. I don't have many medicine shots but I have thousands of other studio subjects that someone might see as a bargain for $10.

22 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

It would be SO much easier for Alamy to do it, once, rather than relying on contributors to change every caption that might be affected. Most of these refunds for me have been on medicines, but not all - one on a gold coin and two for fish bought in a supermarket, as well as others I can't remember. I don't have many medicine shots but I have thousands of other studio subjects that someone might see as a bargain for $10.

Well, I see it was me who made the same suggestion last time you reported it. Problem is, there are dozens of images of co-codamol alone on Alamy and many of the images (not so much yours) look very similar to the images on the sites that sell them, and you have no control over how Alamy market your images. So they are going to appear in searches looking very like pharmacy images. So you can either do something within your control, or accept that there are going to be mistakes and refunds.

Hope folk don't start trying to buy your stamps!

• Like 1