Just had a few low ball sales drop in but one in particular worries me as I can find it in multiple articles around the globe .. but the sales detail says this:-

Usage: Editorial, Use in syndicated editorial news features, single context only. Includes archive rights in-perpetuity.
Media: Newspaper - national
Print run: Unlimited
Insert: more than 25
Placement: National
Image Size: up to full area
Start: 16 December 2021
Duration: In perpetuity

Firstly the Independant UK, then the Portugal News, Your Life Choices, Australia, plus what looks like a few other websites across the globe. Pretty much a re-hash of the same article but all for $0.17!!!

Hopefully Alamy can explain how a UK editorial sale can then appear everywhere for such a low amount. Do they know it's being (presumably) sold on?

Putting it mildly this is very worrying ... not to mention financial suicide for photographers who supply Alamy.

• Like 8

Just now, Reimar said:

Yes, please ask Alamy.  We all want to know, so please report any findings.

Will do ... I just found 5p in the street today and realised that is probably more than I have earnt from a syndicated, model rerleased photo with the current royalty split!

• Love 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DJ Myford said:

Alamy have said this is covered by "Novel Use": which we were initially told would be helping students with their dissertations...

...or to be used as a Magazine cover and a few more usages across different media channels in my case...

0.18 $ gross

GROSS!!!

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov
  • Like 2

A clue - "Use in syndicated editorial news features".   I think syndicated would account for it showing up around the world on related news outlets.

Image license probably sold as part of a discounted "Image Pack" as well..

22 minutes ago, DJ Myford said:

There is a post somewhere on the forum - if the thread hasn't been deleted - where Alamy confirm that this is a deal with a newspaper and only images from contributors who are opted in to Novel Use are included.

Yes, I have an alarm reminder set for opting out in April...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gina Kelly said:

I had two of those .17 cent sales last week (net .07 cents). I'm wondering if anyone has had any positive experiences with novel use sales (ie: is it worth staying opted in despite these occasional tiny sales?)

No positive experiences to report here -- only really low sales that didn't look very "novel" to me. I opted out of NU several years ago and won't be returning.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Phil said:

A clue - "Use in syndicated editorial news features".   I think syndicated would account for it showing up around the world on related news outlets.

Yeah, I get the syndication part .. but it says 'National' not international ...

15 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I opted in to NU out of a feeling of trusting Alamy to explore new markets not to provide an 'eat what you want' buffet to a UK national newspaper.

Me too .. and I'll be opting out as soon as it's possible.  International syndication for 'in perpetuity' doesn't sound like a Novel Use to me.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, DJ Myford said:

There is a post somewhere on the forum - if the thread hasn't been deleted - where Alamy confirm that this is a deal with a newspaper and only images from contributors who are opted in to Novel Use are included.

I’m even more glad I opted out of Novel Use some time back.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Phil said:

Image license probably sold as part of a discounted "Image Pack" as well..

Yeah, THE syndicates ...

6 minutes ago, Stephen Lloyd said:

If Alamy don't tell you it's a Novel Use sale, how do you know?

Alamy TOLD me IT'S a Novel Use when I asked about the unreported usage, but it wasn't said in the sale details when it became reported ... a few months later ... 😕

21 hours ago, Stephen Lloyd said:

If Alamy don't tell you it's a Novel Use sale, how do you know?

It's not in the licence details.

20 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Just about all sales are "novel" these days. 🙄

Well, I agree that any sale is a novelty........