Healing Brush Tools?

I have the photo package with Adobe CC. The latest update of PS has 5 tools under Healing Brush: Spot Healing Brush Tool, Healing Brush Tool, Patch Tool, Content-Aware Move Tool, and the red eye tool. I used to use one of the healing brush tools in most of my basic edits just to clean things up. Now, on my MacBook Air M1, I find that these once easy-to-use tools have changed. I have been using the Clone Stamp Tool to do my cleanups. I'm frustrated and unhappy with this situation.

Can any of you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks, Edo

What would I do without the two Michaels? Thanks, MV. 

That video is interesting but it. doesn't address my problem. Which is -- that healing brush has changed. ???

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 2

18 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

What would I do without the two Michaels? Thanks, MV. 

That video is interesting but it. doesn't address my problem. Which is -- that healing brush has changed. ???

I have the most updated version of CC and there are two healing brushes.  One is called "Healing Brush Tool" and the other "Spot Healing Brush Tool" .  Spot healing is the one I use

Right, MV. I named all 5 tools above. 

Vincent, I'll get back to you. In fact, I'm going to withdraw my question for now. A thought or two has uncured to me about this. As MDM once said, sometimes you need to have someone sitting next to you to get things right. I will do as I've done with some other tech mysteries. I will sit next to myself and try to sort this out.

I feel the solution is very simple; I just don't know it. 

Later. . . .

Edited by Ed Rooney

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I have the photo package with Adobe CC. The latest update of PS has 5 tools under Healing Brush: Spot Healing Brush Tool, Healing Brush Tool, Patch Tool, Content-Aware Move Tool, and the red eye tool. I used to use one of the healing brush tools in most of my basic edits just to clean things up. Now, on my MacBook Air M1, I find that these once easy-to-use tools have changed. I have been using the Clone Stamp Tool to do my cleanups. I'm frustrated and unhappy with this situation.

Can any of you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks, Edo

As far as I am aware, nothing has changed with this set of tools in the new version of Photoshop. It would help if you were to state what you think has changed as it is impossible to say anything much with the current information. However, one thing you could try is checking the options bar and resetting the tool. Rather than explain this in detail here, try searching the Adobe help for reset tool in Photoshop. It is a very simple procedure and might bring you back to where you were.

2 hours ago, MDM said:

As far as I am aware, nothing has changed with this set of tools in the new version of Photoshop. It would help if you were to state what you think has changed as it is impossible to say anything much with the current information. However, one thing you could try is checking the options bar and resetting the tool. Rather than explain this in detail here, try searching the Adobe help for reset tool in Photoshop. It is a very simple procedure and might bring you back to where you were.

I think I've sorted this out. You're right. Nothing in the app itself has changed. But somehow I made some changes. It's fixed now, I think. Thanks everyone.

God, there must be two billion videos on this. The people in India seem ultra savvy about computer tech. And they are fluent in English. But . . . they learn their English from other Indians so they all have a really terrible accent. My Italian is anything but fluent but my accent is often mistaken for a native Roman. How's your Spanish, Michael? 

John, let's not add another puzzle to the puzzle. 

Edoardo

On 09/11/2021 at 12:43, Ed Rooney said:

I think I've sorted this out. You're right. Nothing in the app itself has changed. But somehow I made some changes. It's fixed now, I think. Thanks everyone.

God, there must be two billion videos on this. The people in India seem ultra savvy about computer tech. And they are fluent in English. But . . . they learn their English from other Indians so they all have a really terrible accent. My Italian is anything but fluent but my accent is often mistaken for a native Roman. How's your Spanish, Michael? 

John, let's not add another puzzle to the puzzle. 

Edoardo

If it’s any consolation, I had problems after the update, too, Edo. For instance, if I tried to take out a power line, the healing brush left a visible track across the sky, with some kind of barely there pattern in it. I tried a few things, but since I’m not good at knowing what to do, I gave up and began using the clone tool, which required a lot more care and time when doing a swath.

One day I tried the healing brush again, and it was fine. Gremlins. 

31 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

If it’s any consolation, I had problems after the update, too, Edo. For instance, if I tried to take out a power line, the healing brush left a visible track across the sky, with some kind of barely there pattern in it. I tried a few things, but since I’m not good at knowing what to do, I gave up and began using the clone tool, which required a lot more care and time when doing a swath.

One day I tried the healing brush again, and it was fine. Gremlins. 

Betty, there are settings at the top to set your healing brush for how exact you want it.  For most exact, be sure the mode is set for Normal and click on the Content Aware box in Type.

Jill

• Like 1

On 09/11/2021 at 18:43, Ed Rooney said:

somehow I made some changes

This is my elephant in the room as well. I must have clicked something, but what the flip was it? The only solution may be RTFM (if there is one) and remember every word, right? That's going to happen- the latest Iphone manual is 1715 pages. Small pages, but they'd need to be.

Or you actually haven't made any changes- you made them before the update and it defaulted.

Edited by spacecadet

I recently updated LRC and all my old favourite tools had disappeared. 

After a play around and searches I found them hidden under different heading tools.

At least I know where to find them when I need them now.

Allan

Vincent asked to explain more about my problem. I'm not sure how to explain something I don't understand. One thing I noticed: I had the hardness set low. Anyway, it's all working right now. 

Remember when 'we' used to assume that older people were wiser? I'm getting dumber.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

Betty, there are settings at the top to set your healing brush for how exact you want it.  For most exact, be sure the mode is set for Normal and click on the Content Aware box in Type.

Jill

Thank you, Jill.

THE DEFINITIVE WAY TO NOT LOSE YOUR PHOTOSHOP TOOL  SETTINGS:

Get your tool settings the way you like them and then save the tool settings as a Tool Preset which you can reload as required. Here is a link to Adobe expert Julieanne Kost's  very simple tutorial on how to do this. You don't need to watch hundreds of videos online - just follow that link. 

Edited by MDM

34 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

This seems to work for one tool at a time - or have I misunderstood?

Is there a way to save the settings for all tools in one go?

Mark

If you unclick current tool only and save as preset then that should do it but I've not checked myself if that does work but can't think offhand what else it would do - exercise for the interested reader maybe. To be honest I haven't tended to save tool presets but it seems to be a pretty foolproof way of not losing one's settings for whatever reason - updates, new computer etc. 

Click/Unclick "Current tool only" only  appears to filter the list of available Tool Presets, it doesn't seem to affect adding a new preset which only appears to save the settings for the currently selected tool (so far as I can see). Maybe there's an overall "save/restore PS preferences" somewhere.

Update - On a Mac, restoring a backup (e.g. from Time Machine) of this file:-

User's Home Folder/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings/Adobe Photoshop 2021 Prefs.psp

appears to restore PS tool settings to whatever they were when the backup was taken. NB. I can't comment on the compatibility of this preferences file between PS versions if an update has been installed but, if everything else has failed and you have a backup of the preferences file, it might be worth a try.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

I've just taken the plunge and installed the update to the latest PS and LR CC. I wish Adobe would stop changing the name of the PS app! It's now Adobe Photoshop 2022.app (whereas it was 2021 before) as it sometimes messes up the links and file associations from my Windows VM and my Plugins also need reinstalling. (Maybe I should try creating an "alias"?). It also leaves more debris behind. When I did a complete "bare metal" install of Big Sur and all my Apps it was amazing how much debris Adobe had left behind that was then cleared out.

OTOH - I like the new selection tools :-)

Mark

58 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

I've just taken the plunge and installed the update to the latest PS and LR CC. I wish Adobe would stop changing the name of the PS app! It's now Adobe Photoshop 2022.app (whereas it was 2021 before) as it sometimes messes up the links and file associations from my Windows VM and my Plugins also need reinstalling. (Maybe I should try creating an "alias"?). It also leaves more debris behind. When I did a complete "bare metal" install of Big Sur and all my Apps it was amazing how much debris Adobe had left behind that was then cleared out.

OTOH - I like the new selection tools 🙂

Mark

It would cause a lot more confusion if they did not rename it as it is effectively a brand new app. You can keep the older version if you want and they will both work (not Lightroom Classic). I recall Betty being confused by multiple versions of Photoshop (and Bridge?).

Edited by MDM

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

OTOH - I like the new selection tools 🙂

Mark

Mark, most of my plugins are always there when I get a new installation.  The only one I have problems with is Filter Forge.  I usually have to reinstall that.  I have about 600 patterns stored and they  move as well.  

Jill

11 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Mark, most of my plugins are always there when I get a new installation.  The only one I have problems with is Filter Forge.  I usually have to reinstall that.  I have about 600 patterns stored and they  move as well.  

Jill

That's good. I had to reinstall my Topaz plugins.

Mark