Food! We all eat some and some of us snap images of it

Here's a subject all of us care about on one level or another. I was just reading about chutney over on the "bad thing" post. Surely most chutney is not that bad.

I capture a lot of what I eat. I aim for a midpoint between a pro-studio look and what I can capture in bistros or at home in my pathetic excuse for a kitchen.

I have 266 pasta images on Alamy. Here's one:

2FBED1Y.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Here's a subject all of us care about on one level or another. I was just reading about chutney over on the "bad thing" post. Surely most chutney is not that bad.

I capture a lot of what I eat. I aim for a midpoint between a pro-studio look and what I can capture in bistros or at home in my pathetic excuse for a kitchen.

I have 266 pasta images on Alamy. Here's one:

2FBED1Y.jpg

Ed, Looks very tasty. What do you do for starters and dessert? Do you do Deliveroo? 🤣

• Like 1

John, if you've eaten at a traditional place in Italy, you'll know that the pasta dish is usually smaller, one course out of three or four. A plate of antipasto, cold or hot, might begin the meal or replace soup or pasta as a starter. Outside Italy (and now tourist places in country) pasta is a main dish. 

I'm not a big eater. In fact I eat only twice a day practising 16/8 intermittent fasting

AN5NBX.jpg

It's hard for me to skip dessert. At home, I often have some vanilla ice cream with a brandy

JKK0P3.jpg

I've never used Deliveroo. I like to shop and love scouting the isles at the M&S Foodhall here in Liverpool. I want to check freshness. 

• Thanks 1

Alfredo Viazzi was a close friend in NYC during my theatre-acting life. My wife appeared in one of his weekly plays. He had fought against the fascists of Italy and Germany. I once saw him take down a guy twice his size and then brought him into his Portofino restaurant and fed him dinner.

I miss Alfredo as I miss so many of my departed close friends and family in this past decade. Never send for whom the bell tolls. . . . .

https://www.amazon.com/Alfredo-Viazzis-Italian-Cooking-Interpretations/dp/0394717473

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Surely most chutney is not that bad.

No Edo sir. Not bad. It was posted in that thread because it followed on from another post in a way.

Allan

Chutney is GOOD, especially when homemade.😋

ITMA

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Celluloid Hero said:

That's a recipe I'll definitely try, probably many, many times!

At one restaurant my lady friend and I used to go to served up an ice-cream dessert topped off with a shot of Baileys. Mmmmm. Smacking of lips.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

Edo, are we showing off with photos or with who has the yummiest looking dish? 🙃

Roast chicken with rosemary, garlic, roasted red and yellow bell peppers, sliced red onions and chorizo sausage home roasted in a roasting tin, UK (white tea towel makes a good background!)

roast-chicken-with-rosemary-garlic-roast

'A nearly empty wine bottle and glass of wine lit by candlelight'

After a few drinks I liked the light so no prep, just a found shot.

a-nearly-empty-wine-bottle-and-glass-of-

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 3
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Edo, are we showing off with photos or with who has the yummiest looking dish? 🙃

A nearly empty wine bottle and glass of wine lit by candlelight

a-nearly-empty-wine-bottle-and-glass-of-

Should have added a tipsy person with half asleep squinty eyes and a silly grin on face.

Why do I give my great ideas away?

Allan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sally said:

I don’t sell many food photos but I do like taking photos of what my husband makes. He is the cook in the house and does wonderful presentation. Here is a beetroot salad.

close-up-of-beetroot-salad-served-on-whi

Looking at the dish above your hubby must be a Chef with a capital C.

Allan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Looking at the dish above your hubby must be a Chef with a capital C.

Allan

He is a fabulous cook. But not a professional chef. Retired civil servant in fact.

I have a few food photos, they rarely sell. However, reading this thread, I now regret a missed opportunity having feasted on Ecclefechan Tart recently in Moffat, Scotland. I would have had the camera in my pocket, but ......

Just a quick plug for a couple of Scottish cafes that we used and were impressed by, the Peony Rose in Selkirk - excellent tomato and basil soup served with smoked salmon and cottage cheese sarnies - and Cafe Ariete in Moffat where we had the aforementioned tasty tart.

I also have a few food photos here. Some are carefully set up and lit and haven't sold.
However, I eat right next to the table I call my 'studio' and have occasionally decided, inexplicably, to capture my meal half way through.
Two that have sold are:

B6GBFK.jpg

and 

D45XKT.jpg

......?!

Edited by Phil Robinson
  • Love 2

A few of my very amateurish efforts.

Lemon and ginger cheesecake

lemon-and-ginger-cheesecake-CRXPJF.jpg

Sea Bass fillet meal

sea-bass-fillet-meal-studio-CRXPM2.jpg

Fish and chip supper

fish-and-chip-supper-CWH55F.jpg

Top two images at a restaurant bottom image homemade.

Allan (The non-chef)

Edited by Allan Bell

BM749G.jpg

Just one pizza pic, John? I have 105 and Alamy has 338,615. I eat a lot of fish too, Phil. Pekka, that looks tasty but I don't eat processed meat like sausage. And sauerkraut as a side? Sounds interesting. 

Take note that none of the more dedicated food photographers have commented here. Hmm. About 25% of my port has to do with food. that includes all the aspects, this sign for instance. 

EMF2MK.jpg

34 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

My food portfolio, in its entirety. The pic has yet to sell, but I live in hope.  😎

Burnt pepperoni pizza on rack in oven Stock Photo

Our oven tends to burn the outer edges of a pizza before it cooks the centre, despite using a pizza stone. Looks like you may have a similar problem?

1 minute ago, Bryan said:

Our oven tends to burn the outer edges of a pizza before it cooks the centre, despite using a pizza stone. Looks like you may have a similar problem?

Not sure but I think it might help to stop the outer edges cooking faster than the middle if you cover the outer edge with foil.

Allan

Just now, Allan Bell said:

Not sure but I think it might help to stop the outer edges cooking faster than the middle if you cover the outer edge with foil.

Allan

Worth a try thanks !

• Like 1

This might be a very unwise suggestion . . . but how about wetting the outer crust with water before baking? I've not tried this or thought it trough; I'm thinking out load.

But I've changed my way of cooking bacon and it is a great success. I lay the strips out in a frying pan and cover them with water. Cook on a high flame until the water is almost gone. Dump the remaining water, and turn the heat down. Continue to cook until the bacon is done. (I use bacon with no added neutrinos.) 

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

This might be a very unwise suggestion . . . but how about wetting the outer crust with water before baking? I've not tried this or thought it trough; I'm thinking out load.

But I've changed my way of cooking bacon and it is a great success. I lay the strips out in a frying pan and cover them with water. Cook on a high flame until the water is almost gone. Dump the remaining water, and turn the heat down. Continue to cook until the bacon is done. (I use bacon with no added neutrinos.) 

Very interesting method Edo. Not sure how the bacon is or looks on your plate but I like crispy bacon.

Allan

I have not shot food in a while.  My home does not have great lighting or a place to shoot what I make, so not much home cooked photos.  I have a few photog friends who only shoot food and they are SO good that it almost makes me not want to shoot food.  

Here are a few I shot in Williamsburg, Virginia when I was shooting for their tourism board (the Greater Williamsburg area not just the historical area), few years ago.

USA Virginia VA Williamsburg food restaurants Culture Cafe Bowl of braised pork and vegetables Stock Photo

Food USA pimento cheese sandwich and potato chips at the Culture Cafe in Williamsburg Virginia VA Stock PhotoUSA Virginia VA Williamsburg Winery Cafe Provencal Seared Scallops with grits sweet potato and bacon Stock Photo

Food A greek Salad with basil feta cucumber cherry tomatoes and olives Yorktown Virginia  VA USA Stock Photo

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Love 2