Meet-up at the Photo Show

25 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

As we get closer I was thinking "shall I".  Then looked at the distance and time to drive from where I am staying to NEC and back, and considering the long drive home the following day. Nah.  Hey! Wait a minute! I could get the train from Crewe to Birmingham International station. Hmmm!  As Edo would say, "YIKES!" not at over £25 in each direction.

So Sorry guys I would love to have seen you all there but not this time.

Allan

Now listen to the big sighs of relief from all those going.🙂

ITMA

Ah that’s a shame, it would be great to see you at the show. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

As we get closer I was thinking "shall I".  Then looked at the distance and time to drive from where I am staying to NEC and back, and considering the long drive home the following day. Nah.  Hey! Wait a minute! I could get the train from Crewe to Birmingham International station. Hmmm!  As Edo would say, "YIKES!" not at over £25 in each direction.

Allan

ITMA

Shame! Would have been good to have seen you!

Kumar

• Thanks 1

Note the Covid status checks for the Photo Show.

Covid status checks

The NEC staff will be checking everyone's Covid status when they arrive at the venue.  

All attendees must be prepared to show proof of EITHER double vaccination (last dose at least 14 days before attending) OR a negative Lateral Flow Test or PCR result before entering the venue. Vaccination passes can be created via the NHS App but if you don't have access to this, vaccination cards will also be accepted with ID. 

36 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Note the Covid status checks for the Photo Show.

Covid status checks

The NEC staff will be checking everyone's Covid status when they arrive at the venue.  

All attendees must be prepared to show proof of EITHER double vaccination (last dose at least 14 days before attending) OR a negative Lateral Flow Test or PCR result before entering the venue. Vaccination passes can be created via the NHS App but if you don't have access to this, vaccination cards will also be accepted with ID. 

Vaccination cards, self-reported lateral flow tests. Sounds like heavy-duty Covid security (Irony). Why bother at all when the virus is running rampant anyway through the country? There are no restrictions on public transport which many will be using or anywhere else just about except for hospitals and the like. The UK apparently has the second highest number of cases after the USA on the planet now. The good news today from the ONS is that you are very unlikely to die from Covid if doubly vaccinated unless you have serious underlying conditions and/or are pretty old.    

Edited by MDM

53 minutes ago, MDM said:

Vaccination cards, self-reported lateral flow tests. Sounds like heavy-duty Covid security (Irony). Why bother at all when the virus is running rampant anyway through the country? There are no restrictions on public transport which many will be using. The UK apparently has the second highest number of cases after the USA on the planet now.    

It would seem sensible precaution if they are letting attendees get hands on with all that camera gear. Handling cameras and pressing noses and cheeks against the camera backs one after another could be a recipe for a super-spreading event?

Anyway, I only posted in case anyone planning to attend wasn't aware of the restrictions being applied. I've decided not to go this time.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

20 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

It would seem sensible precaution if they are letting attendees get hands on with all that camera gear. Handling cameras and pressing noses and cheeks against the camera backs one after another could be a recipe for a super-spreading event?

Anyway, I only posted in case anyone planning to attend wasn't aware of the restrictions being applied. I've decided not to go this time.

Mark

I'm not going myself but I presume that the Covid policy would be notified to prospective attendees when they get their online tickets. The point I was making is that it all seems rather pointless at this point given how rampant the virus is at the moment in England and how easy it would be to bypass the requirements anyway. 

4 minutes ago, MDM said:

how easy it would be to bypass the requirements anyway

Yes it makes me laugh seeing stewards glancing at the Phone App pass screen without actually asking for ID. Even if stewards use the verifier app, they should still check ID separately as a simple iPhone screenshot passes the verifier app.

Mark

Funny, my trade/pro pass came through via email even though I didn´t even apply for one this year. Looks like they might really need visitors. It doesn´t surprise me, that the covid measures are applied so half-heartedly. Shot a client event this week and I was one of only a few people in mask for 6 hours, members of the venue staff were (nose hanging out most of the time), none of the 300+ guests were, of course. The event was advertised as covid safe, with 'temperature checks at the entrance'. In reality, a young staffer tried to take temperatures at one of 4 entrances for about ten minutes, then gave up. As I arrived early, he was still practicing with his thermometer, took the temperature off the back of my hand (eh?) and duly told me it was 33 degrees. When I pointed out that this was unlikely, he shrugged. One staffer, one thermometer, 4 entrances, 300+ guests. So well thought through! Have decided not to take on large indoor events for another few months. Sod the (good) earnings, my health is more important.

• Love 3

9 minutes ago, imageplotter said:

took the temperature off the back of my hand (eh?) and duly told me it was 33 degrees. When I pointed out that this was unlikely, he shrugged.

Pretty likely apparently- they tend to read the surface temperature so if it's a bit cold they read low. I was told this at my vaccination in February where apparently my forehead was about 35. So not that useful.

Tough to expect anyone to wear a mask voluntarily for 6 hours- who would attend?. I find it unpleasant after just a few minutes with specs. My limit is about half an hour on the tube. Then it gets really claustrophobic. I've had to leave stations after 10 minutes in hot weather for the same reason.

23 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Pretty likely apparently- they tend to read the surface temperature so if it's a bit cold they read low. I was told this at my vaccination in February where apparently my forehead was about 35. So not that useful.

Tough to expect anyone to wear a mask voluntarily for 6 hours- who would attend?. I find it unpleasant after just a few minutes with specs. My limit is about half an hour on the tube. Then it gets really claustrophobic. I've had to leave stations after 10 minutes in hot weather for the same reason.

I don´t mind wearing the mask for that length of time (surgeons do it all the time), ffp2 are quite comfortable, I wear them regularly for a few hours at client bookings, but yes with glasses it would be annoying, agree. I wouldn´t expect guests to be masked up, of course, but they could have overall made more of an effort, the venue just seemed very disinterested. Temp readings were correctly applied lots of times elsewhere in the last few months when I had it taken, this one was a case of nobody having explained to the young staffer how to take the temperature, and only providing one device for 4 entrances. Silly. (I had at that point been inside the well-heated venue lugging some of my equipment back and forth, so very little chance of me being 35 degrees 🙂  )

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Shame I can't make it as I would liked to have met some of you and also I believe Rankin is doing a talk and I quite like him.  Have fun everyone, look forward to hearing what new kit everyone comes back with😀

Carol

Have booked to see/hear him on Monday...

Hoping to not empty my wallet😁

Phil

On 13/09/2021 at 18:54, MDM said:

Vaccination cards, self-reported lateral flow tests. Sounds like heavy-duty Covid security (Irony). Why bother at all when the virus is running rampant anyway through the country? There are no restrictions on public transport which many will be using or anywhere else just about except for hospitals and the like. The UK apparently has the second highest number of cases after the USA on the planet now. The good news today from the ONS is that you are very unlikely to die from Covid if doubly vaccinated unless you have serious underlying conditions and/or are pretty old.    

I have my pass but will not be attending this this year. I hear of many events described as 'covid secure' that are far from it. Not worth taking the risks. I even avoided a now rare trip into London yesterday, spending most of the day in Bristol instead. For me driving is far safer, but at times traffic on the A34, M4 and M32 was awful going down.

• Love 2

On 11/09/2021 at 17:55, Allan Bell said:

Allan

ITMA

Gee, Allan -- I thought you were headed to the Photo Show. Yikes! I mean hmm. That train ride does seem a bit pricey. I was very pleased how little it cost me to go to Chester, and that was without a senior pass, which I will soon get. 

I wear a mask whenever I should, although I'm claustrophobic and have cough variant asthma. And I carry a couple of new mask on me . . . if you need one. 

New photo kit? I'll see it soon enough.

Well three of us met up - Myself, Andy (Colblimp) and Paul (- Lawrensonphoto, I think!!). 

Was well worth going -- much less crowded than a couple of years ago so easier to get to try some of the new equipment, and reasonably COVID secure - Had a good chat over a long coffee. Good to see the others! 

Kumar

• Love 4

On 18/09/2021 at 19:14, spacecadet said:

So they do. They are surgeons.

If you don't expect guest to wear masks what exactly do you expect "more of an effort" to be?

So they do, and so do I, despite not being a surgeon. I have worn ffp2 masks for many hours on end most days this year and last. 

More of an effort from the organisers! The event was not one where masks for invited guests would have worked (there was as sit down dinner, drinks etc), but there are many other measures that can be taken to make an event more covid safe. I have shot other events where this was the case and have been to events where that was the case also.

Why do you always have to get so aggressive?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Well three of us met up - Myself, Andy (Colblimp) and Paul (- Lawrensonphoto, I think!!). 

Was well worth going -- much less crowded than a couple of years ago so easier to get to try some of the new equipment, and reasonably COVID secure - Had a good chat over a long coffee. Good to see the others! 

Kumar

Thoroughly enjoyed our meet up, a shame no one else could make it. 
In terms of COVID, it was very safe - lots of space between stalls, no crowding around stalls, nice and airy. Enjoyed the show for a change. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

Thoroughly enjoyed our meet up, a shame no one else could make it. 
In terms of COVID, it was very safe - lots of space between stalls, no crowding around stalls, nice and airy. Enjoyed the show for a change. 

Glad you all had a good time - anyone buy any new kit ?😄

Carol

Am now ensconced in the Premier Inn 10mins walk away and looking forward to going tomorrow...

Any other Alamyites attending do message me and would be delighted to meet for a coffee and chat.

Am on Facebook, messenger, wattsapp, easy to find!!!

Phil

• Alamy locked and unlocked this topic
  • Alamy locked this topic