Platinum, Gold or Silver?

Dave Warren

Question

hello,

I'm a photographer in the UK. 

Our contributor rates are marked as Platinum, Gold or Silver.

I can't find any information on my dashboard or sales invoices which one I am in or perhaps am I not looking in the right place?

How do I tell which one I am in?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

• Love 1

We're all on Gold because this is the first 'Revenue Year' of the new contract, our gross earnings in this revenue year (from July 1, 2021) determine what rate we continue with from July 1 2022. 

See clauses 12.10 to 12.15 here:

https://www.alamy.com/terms/contributor.aspx

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

We're all on Gold because this is the first 'Revenue Year' of the new contract, our gross earnings in this revenue year (from July 1, 2021) determine what rate we continue with from July 1 2022.

I'll bet their top individual contributors (with a revenue of over $25,000 last year) will have been placed straight onto the Platinum level. But there's not many of them (for most of us "regular" contributors it might as well be called "Un-Obtainium" level).

(NB. Agencies are on a different contract)

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

12 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

I'll bet their top individual contributors (with a revenue of over $25,000 last year) will have been placed straight onto the Platinum level.

I suppose we'll never know, but that would certainly go against the spirit of the new contract, I just feel so sorry for the one that only grossed $24,999.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

I'll bet their top individual contributors (with a revenue of over $25,000 last year) will have been placed straight onto the Platinum level. But there's not many of them (for most of us "regular" contributors it might as well be called "Un-Obtainium" level).

(NB. Agencies are on a different contract)

Mark

Rosie is probably the one to ask about Platinum. 😁

My guess is that the tipping point is around where e.g. Doc Kumar sits. It's gross remember.

Searching here with a year in Content titles only will give most of our yearly reports.

wim

18 years with Alamy averaging sales of $29k per annum and I'm in Gold so not happy!! When I started it was 70/30 in my favour, now I'm supposed to be content with 40/60, unbelievable. I've had over $500k in sales which isn't taken into account, setting a starting date for this new system in the middle of the pandemic when sales are down anyway is just so demotivating I'm considering if it's worth all the time I spend in front of this screen!! 😡

Jeff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angler said:

18 years with Alamy averaging sales of $29k per annum and I'm in Gold so not happy!! When I started it was 70/30 in my favour, now I'm supposed to be content with 40/60, unbelievable. I've had over $500k in sales which isn't taken into account, setting a starting date for this new system in the middle of the pandemic when sales are down anyway is just so demotivating I'm considering if it's worth all the time I spend in front of this screen!! 😡

Jeff

I share your pain and feeling of disillusionment. 

For me the only thing I can do is to stop supplying Alamy. Not that it makes any difference to Alamy.

It makes me feel better. I will review in six months or so. 

13 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I wonder if there is any way to tell how much of Alamy's collection had dropped by when some contributors left last month.

Haven't really been keeping track, but I don't think that the total number of images on the Alamy homepage has gone down. Whatever the case, it would only be a few drops in the ocean. However, this would be interesting to know. Some of the forum members who left had relatively large collections. It must have really hurt to toss all that work out the window.

29 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Haven't really been keeping track, but I don't think that the total number of images on the Alamy homepage has gone down. Whatever the case, it would only be a few drops in the ocean. However, this would be interesting to know. Some of the forum members who left had relatively large collections. It must have really hurt to toss all that work out the window.

This is the number Alamy has now on the home search screen, 265,119,514 (that includes photos, videos and vectors).  I wish I had made a note of the number before the 24th.  But yes, probably just a relative few drops in the ocean.

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

I wish I had made a note of the number before the 24th.  But yes, probably just a relative few drops in the ocean.

You can use the Wayback Machine for that, 263,931,628 on July 22nd:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210722181202/https://www.alamy.com/

https://web.archive.org/web/*/www.alamy.com

Edited by Harry Harrison
July 22, not June 24th
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

You can use the Wayback Machine for that, not the precise figure at the top but the summary, 260 million on June 23rd:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210623063001/https://www.alamy.com/

https://web.archive.org/web/*/www.alamy.com

Fortunately, there is no "Wayforward Machine" -- not yet anyway. 😮

• Love 2

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Fortunately, there is no "Wayforward Machine" -- not yet anyway. 😮

The way forward has to be not to buckle under Alamy's unreasonable demands.

If you don't like the commission cut then there is only one way to show that to Alamy.

Stop contributing.

You can't simultaneously complain and then continue to supply images. That is madness.

Edited by geogphotos

This is the number Alamy has now on the home search screen, 265,119,514 (that includes photos, videos and vectors).  I wish I had made a note of the number before the 24th.  But yes, probably just a relative few drops in the ocean.

...but I did it :

23 May  - 256,558,006

30 June  - 262,173,901

05 July   - 262,654,541

14 July   - 263,341,329

18 July   - 263,654,633

19 July   - 263,699,726

20 July   - 263,795,805

21 July   - 263,870,781

22 July   - 263,931,628

23 July   - 263,986,629

24 July   - 263,808,170 (less than a drop in the ocean)

25 July   - 263,861,551

26 July   - 263,951,834

27 July   - 264,056,472

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

...but I did it :

23 May  - 256,558,006

30 June  - 262,173,901

05 July   - 262,654,541

14 July   - 263,341,329

18 July   - 263,654,633

19 July   - 263,699,726

20 July   - 263,795,805

21 July   - 263,870,781

22 July   - 263,931,628

23 July   - 263,986,629

24 July   - 263,808,170 (less than a drop in the ocean)

25 July   - 263,861,551

26 July   - 263,951,834

27 July   - 264,056,472

So about a .3 % drop.   Close to a million images.

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

The way forward has to be not to buckle under Alamy's unreasonable demands.

If you don't like the commission cut then there is only one way to show that to Alamy.

Stop contributing.

You can't simultaneously complain and then continue to supply images. That is madness.

It's all madness now. 🤪

8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

It's all madness now. 🤪

Plenty of contributors only do it for a hobby so I suppose it makes sense for them to just carry on if they still enjoy it.

But from a business viewpoint it seems like time to wave the white flag🤬

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Its about quality not just quantity. 

Good point.

Image numbers won't go down significantly, as expected, because it will have been individual contributors who have pulled their images, and compared to the big contributing agencies, any individual contributors are small fry, even those with large collections. Agencies like Sopa and Zuma dump hundreds of images on alamy every single day. Some good quality (depending on subject, togs covering high profile events with limited press pass availability are rarely twice-per-week hobby shooters), many very mediocre to poor quality. But the sheer volume of images will carry sales and land those agencies straight in the platinum bin (if they're not on separate contractual arrangements - anyone know?).

• Love 1

It may be a drop in the ocean but I do think it is a warning to Alamy that they have reached the limit of how far they can push.

Next year when some contributors get demoted to silver we could very likely see another drop.

Also Alamy have recently taken on millions of footage clips from P5 is that taken into consideration in the figures.

16 hours ago, Angler said:

Jeff

This is disgraceful, how can they justify putting you on gold when you have a track record of being platinum by their own standards. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Plenty of contributors only do it for a hobby so I suppose it makes sense for them to just carry on if they still enjoy it.

But from a business viewpoint it seems like time to wave the white flag🤬

Yes, it's getting tougher all the time to see this as a viable business. I certainly understand your decision to wave a symbolic white flag.