Jump to content
  • 0

FTP


Allan Bell
 Share

Question

I know there was a discussion quite some time ago about loading through the FTP route but would like to ask the contributors using that route which client they eventually went with and/or which they think is the best one.

 

Filezilla, FirefTP, WinSCP, Cyberduck, or ClassicFTP.

 

(Note I am using Safari on iMac and presently using Alamy's web upload which used to be quite quick but now taking an age to upload a few images.)

 

Thank you in advance for your input.

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
12 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I know there was a discussion quite some time ago about loading through the FTP route but would like to ask the contributors using that route which client they eventually went with and/or which they think is the best one.

 

Filezilla, FirefTP, WinSCP, Cyberduck, or ClassicFTP.

 

(Note I am using Safari on iMac and presently using Alamy's web upload which used to be quite quick but now taking an age to upload a few images.)

 

Thank you in advance for your input.

 

Allan

 

Filezilla has been good for me, live news and general stock, very fast and easy to use. Windows 10/ microsoft edge.

Andy

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Thank you folks. That is two votes for Filezilla because it does the job.

 

And one for Fetch because it has a cute dog.🐕

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I used to use the Alamy uploader all the time until I had a problem one day and used Filezilla.

 

Like aphperspective, I use  Windows 10/ Microsoft Edge and find Filezilla very fast and easy to use too.

 

John.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I went over to FTP a few years ago. Filezilla is so much (amazingly) quicker than the Alamy uploader. Using on both Windows 10 with Chrome, and Safari on Macbook pro. 

Thoroughly recommended. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
20 hours ago, Stokie said:

I used to use the Alamy uploader all the time until I had a problem one day and used Filezilla.

 

Like aphperspective, I use  Windows 10/ Microsoft Edge and find Filezilla very fast and easy to use too.

 

John.

 

17 hours ago, Webby said:

I went over to FTP a few years ago. Filezilla is so much (amazingly) quicker than the Alamy uploader. Using on both Windows 10 with Chrome, and Safari on Macbook pro. 

Thoroughly recommended. 

 

Thank you gents.

 

Allan

 

  • Love 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

More on this subject.

 

I finally worked out how to use Filezilla after one or two hicups. At one stage, and I still do not know how I did it, I found my computer copying the disc which holds all my folders and files into a different file on the backup disc???  Fortunately caught it in time so not too much damage done and easily repairable.

 

Although the suggestions are that this method is faster than the web upload to Alamy I still found it to quite slow but that may be my wifi connection to the web.

 

However all image files went through first time in one batch.  The web upload had been rejecting image files and I either had to stop the upload and delete image files already uploaded and start again or wait till the end of upload and try to upload the rejected images separately. Then I had to upload the rejected images from that batch ad infinitum.

 

Just to say another thank you for your help fellow forumites. (Is that a word?)

 

Allan

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I have a folder on my pc 'upload to Alamy' which, when I open Filezila it is set as the home folder in the manager tab, then I right click the files and upload.
I've used Filezilla for years without problems and have a few different sites set up in the site manager. If you like I can screenshot and post my Alamy settings (passwords hidden) for you to compare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I haven't tried using FTP with Alamy because I didn't have confidence that I was using the correct pathname. However, looking at Alamy's guide it now looks reasonably straightforward. Going to give it another go. Anything missing from the instructions below?  I need a 'FTP for Dummies guide for Alamy'


This is what Alamy have posted:
 

FTP
This is a quick and easy way to send us your images:

1. You’ll need an FTP client, we recommend Filezilla, FirefTP, WinSCP, Cyberduck, or ClassicFTP
2. Enter Alamy’s FTP details into your FTP Client:

  • Host name: upload.alamy.com
  • Login/username: Your Alamy email
  • Port: 21
  • Your password is the same as your Alamy login

    3.Drag your images to the relevant folder:
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
4 hours ago, Jansos said:

I haven't tried using FTP with Alamy because I didn't have confidence that I was using the correct pathname. However, looking at Alamy's guide it now looks reasonably straightforward. Going to give it another go. Anything missing from the instructions below?  I need a 'FTP for Dummies guide for Alamy'


This is what Alamy have posted:
 

FTP
This is a quick and easy way to send us your images:

1. You’ll need an FTP client, we recommend Filezilla, FirefTP, WinSCP, Cyberduck, or ClassicFTP
2. Enter Alamy’s FTP details into your FTP Client:

  • Host name: upload.alamy.com
  • Login/username: Your Alamy email
  • Port: 21
  • Your password is the same as your Alamy login

    3.Drag your images to the relevant folder:

 

That is what I followed to set up.   If you can remember your Alamy login PW you are good to go.

 

Allan

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
5 hours ago, mickfly said:

I have a folder on my pc 'upload to Alamy' which, when I open Filezila it is set as the home folder in the manager tab, then I right click the files and upload.
I've used Filezilla for years without problems and have a few different sites set up in the site manager. If you like I can screenshot and post my Alamy settings (passwords hidden) for you to compare.

 

Thanks mickfly it could be useful for both myself and Jansos.

 

Allan

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

So far, the past year, my regular uploads go very fast. Sorry yours didn’t, Allan. You need to track down that little devil who is getting into your affairs and slay him. Please don’t just evict him…he might come to my house.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

may be my wifi connection to the web.

Try a speedchecker. If you're BT it's

speedtest.btwholesale.com/

it may work on other providers- don't see why not- or there are plenty of others. It tells me I'm 55MB down, 45 up. And that's on wifi.

Anyone else remember when it was 56k? 5 or 10 minutes per image😀

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
28 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Try a speedchecker. If you're BT it's

speedtest.btwholesale.com/

it may work on other providers- don't see why not- or there are plenty of others. It tells me I'm 55MB down, 45 up. And that's on wifi.

Anyone else remember when it was 56k? 5 or 10 minutes per image😀

 

Yes.  I also remember when you were severely limited in the number of letters you were allowed per file title. These days you can write a novel to explain the file contents.

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
59 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

So far, the past year, my regular uploads go very fast. Sorry yours didn’t, Allan. You need to track down that little devil who is getting into your affairs and slay him. Please don’t just evict him…he might come to my house.

 

 

Never mind I will come and get him back.😇

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

While I just use the Alamy uploader, average 15-20 seconds for a 10MB JPEG, I for FTP I've been using CUTE FTP for over a decade.

I did try to set up Filezilla once and could never get it to work?  I'm on a PC with a very fast connection.

 

Chuck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, Chuck Nacke said:

While I just use the Alamy uploader, average 15-20 seconds for a 10MB JPEG, I for FTP I've been using CUTE FTP for over a decade.

I did try to set up Filezilla once and could never get it to work?  I'm on a PC with a very fast connection.

 

Chuck

Chuck, same thing here. Never could get it to work on my Mac. But then, I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer when handling what I consider complicated instructions. I realize it is easy for most people. I’m not most people. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Anyone else remember when it was 56k? 5 or 10 minutes per image😀

 

I remember using an internal 8 bit PC card Dowty Quatro modem capable of v22 bis, 2400 bps. It was wonderful compared to earlier modems with split baud rate. 56k was still for the future. Anyone else used Telecom Gold to communicate? I remember how great it was when I could dial in via a local Oxford number rather than London, keeping costs down. Things certainly have changed.

Edited by sb photos
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

While I just use the Alamy uploader, average 15-20 seconds for a 10MB JPEG, I for FTP I've been using CUTE FTP for over a decade.

I did try to set up Filezilla once and could never get it to work?  I'm on a PC with a very fast connection.

 

Chuck

 

I used to use Transmit, a Mac only FTP client. For some time now I've use Filezilla rather upgrade Transmit. I much prefer it to the Alamy web uploader, plus I can use it in place of web based FTP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
14 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

I did try to set up Filezilla once and could never get it to work

Give it another go, it might behave better this time. Happens sometimes, one tends to want to think it's just the software being capricious!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.