Do you do art besides photographs?

To get this topic out of the iMac thread, and to explore art in all forms besides photographs.

What do you do? I have seen beautiful art carved from wood, working with clay making bowls, things made from molten glass. All of it art.

Then, there is digital art. Some from scratch, some started as photographs but were changed in artistic ways.

Then there is painting. Acrylics, watercolor, oils. And mixed media, like watercolor and ink, or using combos of paint and things like paper, burlap, other fabrics.

Do you partake?

I do watercolor, watercolor and ink, and I do artistic things to photographs.

This was a photograph taken during a parade. The use of a texture obliterated the crowd in the background, only showing a hint of the cowboy driving the wagon.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/giddyup-betty-larue.html

If you have links, put them here. If you have images on Alamy or a hosting site, let’s see them.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 7
  • Like 1

Love your digital art Betty! A skill that I'm totally lacking...

I set myself up as a full time artist for 9 months in 2019 before I came back to the UK because I was unemployed. In some respects I was successful, but I don't think I could ever live off it. I'm not really pushing it now because I have a full time job, just doing the odd commission for friends. My art is too traditional and 'conventional' to ever sell well, but I like what I do so I'm not changing my style for now at least. I actually learned to code from scratch to create the website, so any flaws are mine!

https://www.frostsfineart.com/

• Love 3
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Steve F said:

I set myself up as a full time artist for 9 months in 2019 before I came back to the UK because I was unemployed. In some respects I was successful, but I don't think I could ever live off it. I'm not really pushing it now because I have a full time job, just doing the odd commission for friends. My art is too traditional and 'conventional' to ever sell well, but I like what I do so I'm not changing my style for now at least. I actually learned to code from scratch to create the website, so any flaws are mine!

Ahh, I like! Don’t drop it, Steve! We each see art through our own rose-colored glasses. There is no right or wrong. Generally, what style appeals to us the most is how we desire to work. I like all well-done art, but some sing to me more than others.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Very impressive Steve.

• Thanks 1

Just now, gvallee said:

Very impressive Steve.

Thank you Gen! I started painting regularly when I was 11, but I've never really done much with it commercially until recently. I'm a relative newcomer to photography, started in earnest at 28.....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Ahh, I like! Don’t drop it, Steve! We each see art through our own rose-colored glasses. There is no right or wrong. Generally, what style appeals to us the most is how we desire to work. I like all well-done art, but some sing to me more than others.

Yes, we're biased to our own style. I think you would be more successful than me, you're more unconventional. I think if I ever wanted to make proper money, I'd have to speed up considerably and become more sketchy. A watercolour takes me about 20-50 hours. Acrylic painting is about 110-160 hours. But a lot of my knowledge about light and shade and composition comes from painting, so it's a nice crossover with the photography.

• Love 1

Anyone looking at Steve’s beautiful work, please enlarge it and use the arrows. Amazing detail, something I would like to accomplish, but frankly, I don’t have the patience.

Funny thing, when I first begin painting, it was at my kitchen table. After a few comments from family members passing through  like “whaaat’s that supposed to be”, I became very sensitive to anyone seeing it in progress.

So I hurried up, and developed a looser style. And when someone entered the kitchen, I was known to throw my body over the painting to shield it from view, and give a menacing glare. 😄

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Anyone looking at Steve’s beautiful work, please enlarge it and use the arrows. Amazing detail, something I would like to accomplish, but frankly, I don’t have the patience.

Funny thing, when I first begin painting, it was at my kitchen table. After a few comments from family members passing through  like “whaaat’s that supposed to be”, I became very sensitive to anyone seeing it in progress.

So I hurried up, and developed a looser style. And when someone entered the kitchen, I was known to throw my body over the painting to shield it from view. 😄

Aw shucks... ☺️

I like your paintings too Betty. But I need to check the text to see which ones are painted and which ones are digitally manipulated, wow!!

I'm very obsessed and single minded when I paint, so I didn't paint for years after I met my wife because I didn't want to be antisocial. But she nagged me to start again for the last few years, so I'm doing it again. She likes seeing a painting started from scratch through to the finished article.

I find it very therapeutic. And I like to have something like snooker or cricket on in the background when I paint, because you can not look up for 10 minutes and you haven't missed anything 😅

• Love 1

I tend to do sketches/photos on location before I go back to my studio (kitchen) to paint. Here's one example:

https://www.frostsfineart.com/fullsizegallery.html?slide=2

I didn't like the sodium lighting and the lack of dynamic range in the photo, so used some artistic license in the painting.

the-ruined-burgruine-rehberg-castle-and-

Edited by Steve F

15 minutes ago, Steve F said:

I tend to do sketches/photos on location before I go back to my studio (kitchen) to paint. Here's one example:

https://www.frostsfineart.com/fullsizegallery.html?slide=2

I didn't like the sodium lighting and the lack of dynamic range in the photo, so used some artistic license in the painting.

the-ruined-burgruine-rehberg-castle-and-

I admire people who have a vision like yours.

• Thanks 1

The best thing an artist can do, is make the painting more beautiful than the real thing. You did that. After all, beauty is what most want to see. Not counting a few nuts out there

• Thanks 1

The closest thing I have come to you REAL artists is this sort of happy accident when some pages of old film 35mm transparencies got damaged in a basement flood.  Not sure how well you can see it but it was a night shot of The White House. I have not put it on Alamy, didn't think it would pass QC....maybe the archival route would work.  Though not very well archived 😄

WhiteHouseSM_02

• Love 5

59 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

The closest thing I have come to you REAL artists is this sort of happy accident when some pages of old film 35mm transparencies got damaged in a basement flood.  Not sure how well you can see it but it was a night shot of The White House. I have not put it on Alamy, didn't think it would pass QC....maybe the archival route would work.  Though not very well archived 😄

WhiteHouseSM_02

What a cool effect. Desaturated a little bit, it would make a good texture effect around the White House if the green blobs weren’t there. That black line almost looks planned.

Edited by Betty LaRue

2 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I like it, Rico. It work well with all of the blue.

Thanks, I'm kind of disappointed that it hasn't sold, but these days I mainly do this kind of thing for myself.

Great topic BTW.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

What a cool effect. Desaturated a little bit, it would make a good texture effect around the White House if the green blobs weren’t there. That black line almost looks planned.

Thanks Betty.  The funny thing is that these colors are just as you see them on the film, no added saturation.  But I know what you mean.  

My current bathroom renovation has turned into an art project. I decided almost as soon as I started to throw the budget out of the window and create the most beautiful and stylish bathroom in my town. I also intended from the very start that every last little bit of work would be done by me on my own, so it's very much a project to realise my own personal vision. No photos yet because I haven't finished.

Alan

• Love 2

I only do digital type of art. I can't show you easily, they are all over the place on my hard drive.

I have a few Out of Frame composites on Alamy. They have never sold but are a lot of fun to make.

GJ3HNE.jpg

R1D8MX.jpg

M5RE16.jpg

GJ3HN5.jpg

• Love 7
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

My current bathroom renovation has turned into an art project. I decided almost as soon as I started to throw the budget out of the window and create the most beautiful and stylish bathroom in my town. I also intended from the very start that every last little bit of work would be done by me on my own, so it's very much a project to realise my own personal vision. No photos yet because I haven't finished.

Alan

Alan, make sure to take photos along the way as well as for the finished article. It's fun to see the stages.

Not having made a pot for about 45 years, Ian always said he would start making again when he had time so as our limited edition print business is winding down he set up a small pottery in the shed! After the increased interest in ceramics because of ‘The Great Pottery Throwdown’ our Etsy shop sales went crazy! Instagram page is ianfraserceramics 

il_570xN.3015536659_7t6t.jpg

• Love 5

3D graphic illustration - seamless repeating rainbow colours pattern Stock Photo     3D graphic illustration - seamless repeating rainbow colours pattern Stock Photo

3D graphic seamless repeating monochrome design - blue Stock Photo     3D Tessellating seamless repeating pattern - primary colour jigsaw pieces Stock Photo

A combination of lockdown / bad weather / boredom drove me to try a bit of graphic design. It was aimed at the print-on-demand mugs and t-shirts market but I uploaded some here too (all under pjrdigital) 
It has so far been financially unrewarding, to put it mildly, but it kept me off the streets for a couple of weeks.

I've been writing some music too - with similar results.

• Love 2