Best Photo Editing Program Other Than Adobe?

Ed, probably what has happened is that you can autofill passwords on your old machine. But the new machine would have to have them all entered anew before being able to autofill them again.

So your trying to install Adobe on the new machine, and you probably don’t have the password written down somewhere, and it won’t autofill.  Maybe you lost your passwords from the fire.

Mine are written down in a small notebook, but mostly they autofill for me.

If this happens to be your problem, possibly calling Adobe on the phone would resolve it.

Try this. If you can still access LR & PS on your old MacBook, go to the Adobe site, find your account information, and change your password. Not real sure if you can do it without inputting the old...most sites ask for the old, but I’ve not been on Adobe for awhile so I’m unsure.
If you are able to change it, write down the new password. Then you should be able to use the new password on your new computer to access your account, and download the software.

If Adobe requires the old password to enable you to change it, and you don’t have it, then call Adobe and see if they can get you out of your pickle.

Added:

Shoot. Just tried it and they do require the old. 
But...maybe not!

https://helpx.adobe.com/manage-account/using/change-or-reset-password.html

Edited by Betty LaRue

I just typed out a long answer to most of your questions . . . and before I could post it, it disappeared. Am I paranoid? You bet I am.

I know my Adobe ID and password, Michael. They would not let me use it or change it on my new M1 Air.

Call them, Betty? Impossible! And I was online with them all day Friday, from after breakfast until late afternoon—got disconnected 3 times. At this point, to me, Adobe is like Lubbock, Texas—something in my rearview mirror.

We have drifted off subject here. Please read my headline. You all have been asking about things that are in posts like Need a new iMac, and Good day, and Bad day. Sally Down Under and John on the Pacific Coast gave me the answer I was looking for. I have/had Capture One Express Sony. When I try to sign in, they give me the same code number. I’ve deleted the program on my older Pro, but I can’t sign in with or without it on the M1 Air.

I’m sitting here alone in Nomadland. There’s no one at my elbow to see if I do things right. Even the now-invisible Genius Bar people screwed up in handling my problem at Apple.

But I’ve taken a path and I will prevail.

Thanks, all.

• Love 1

I managed to install Capture One Pro Sony for a test month. I will buy it, but didn't want to mess with more details and decisions right now. Just poking around, I was able to edit a new RAW image and save it to my desktop as a jpeg. Later, after deleting Adobe, I will see if I can install it on my Pro.

So . . . so far so good.

• Love 1

Edo, This thread is very interesting and I hope you don't mind me butting in here as I would like to ask a question of those using the free Capture One Express for Sony software?     Thank you.

A word about my processing first. I use LRC subscription version, only because I bought a camera that my perpetuity licence LR could not handle, and am happy with it as it does all I want INCLUDING adding keywords etc to images all in the same place. BUT do not like paying the subscription.

I have the free Capture One Express for Sony software loaded on my machine but only have had a cursory look at it when I loaded it. This was recently updated to the latest version but still languishes on the computer unseen and unused.

My question is can titles and keywords be added to images in C1E for Sony and will the appropriate boxes on Alamy be populated with the keywording etc.

Sorry Edo.

Allan

Nobody has mention DxO Photolab which is what I would switch to if I was to ever stop using Adobe software. There is a trial version and you would find some familiarity as it uses the U-Point technology which you have mentioned in the past in relation to the Nik Collection (also now owned by DxO). I bought it cheap on a Black Friday offer a few years ago and it is very good as well as being cheaper than CaptureOne as far as I know. 

Sidebar your honour: As far as mentioning Adobe is concerned, well I am intrigued as to why you can't even log on to your account from the M1 Mac. For one thing you will need to do this from one of your Macs in order to cancel the subscription. It is especially intriguing as you were able to use it on your M1 Mac before the lockout occurred (another mystery). I have never heard of anything like this before (not being able to og on to the account unless it has been locked due to unauthorised access attempts) and I am genuinely curious as to why this should happen. I wonder if it is due to you having moved around so your Adobe ID is registered in a different country - Spain or the USA - as the charges for the subscription are different depending on where you purchase and I presume you have to keep Adobe updated. Why am I curious? Well that is just me and it would be really interesting to know what is going on for future reference (for example, if I ever move country).

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I’m sitting here alone in Nomadland. There’s no one at my elbow to see if I do things right. Even the now-invisible Genius Bar people screwed up in handling my problem at Apple.

But I’ve taken a path and I will prevail.

Thanks, all.

I've found that people in the Apple store don't know photography most of the time. I was trying to be helpful in a small class on the iPhone camera when the "teacher" didn't know what the camera actually did when set at HDR. He was one of those guys who can't even hear women... let alone an old lady ...so no one was the wiser when I was ignored. That said, I am happy to say I"ve usually had good people and I feel lucky to live in walking distance from two Apple stores.

Paulette

No problem at all, Allan.

Michael, I've been dealing with my many problems. Poco a poco. I'll give some thought to your questions and get back to you. 

Paulette, I hear you. But my problem was with my week-old M1 Air, not photography, not adobe, and not any apps. The MacBook would not accept my sign-in with either touch or password. 

It's spring and sunny, and I was just out for a casual walkabout.  

Edited by Ed Rooney

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I know my Adobe ID and password, Michael. They would not let me use it or change it on my new M1 Air.

Just a whacky thought. Was your previous Mac sourced in a different country and now you have a new MacBook Air with a UK language keyboard? Also does your Adobe password contain some special characters e.g. $. If so, worth double checking when you enter your Adobe login that it looks correct by clicking the reveal password button (eyeball symbol).

Apologies if you've already done this, or I have the wrong end of the stick.

You have my sympathies. It does seem that you've had a major "butterfly effect" where something potentially quite small goes wrong and then causes a whole pile of disruption as the ripples spread.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

2 hours ago, MDM said:

Nobody has mention DxO Photolab

I will now - I usually do when this kind of topic comes up. I use it as my main RAW converter, it is excellent and does have basic tools for cloning dust spots. I don't have the latest version - I generally skip a version when upgrading unless there is something major. DxO have sales regularly that give 30-40% off the price.

43 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Let me take a minute and dispel the foreign-births theory. I bought and unboxed the M1 MacBook Air on 14 April 2021, less then 2 weeks ago. I opened it, got it working, and uploaded the apps I use -- including Adobe CC, and PhotoShop, Lightroom Classic, and Bridge. There were no problems. Everything was working fine. A week later the Air refused to allow me to sign on. It would not accept my Touch ID or take a password. Understand? I have been signing in and using Adobe CC since CC began. I've done that in NYC, Mexico, Spain, Ireland, and here. Since the CC apps sit on your computer, only sending pics to Alamy requires the Internet. 

I used to make use of the Nik Collection. If I can get DxO with Nik, I will probably do so. But I'm not in a rush. I have 2 new programs to learn.

In case you are wondering about my casual attitude to spending, let me (partly) explain. In Liverpool, I can live on my small income, half of the normal US Social Security and a half pension from Time Warner. I sold my rent stabilised lease on Mulberry Street for good money. And I've gotten 3 corvid payments from the US Government. But ultimately, I will not be spending any of that on my computer or stock photo needs.

On my wrist sits what has become a very valuable collector's watch, the original Rolex GMT Master. I plan to sell it and use the money for kit and travel to produce stock for as long as I'm able to do so. 

I’m hoping you aren’t wearing that gold mine of a watch when you are out and about. Or if you are, it’s covered by your sleeve. You’re shivering my timbers.

54 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

It would not accept my Touch ID or take a password. Understand?

Actually I understand it happened but I don't understand why and that is the important thing so as you know what to do if it happens again. It makes no sense at all. Nor does not being able to sign in to your Adobe account. It makes absolutely no sense to me which is why I offered the foreign birth explanation. But I will leave you alone to your devices from here on Ed. I have only been trying to help you get to the bottom of it out of goodwill but enough is enough for me. Good luck.

Edited by MDM
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m hoping you aren’t wearing that gold mine of a watch when you are out and about. Or if you are, it’s covered by your sleeve. You’re shivering my timbers.

In Liverpool, the criminals would assume it was a knock off, not a genuine one.

5 hours ago, MDM said:

Sidebar your honour: As far as mentioning Adobe is concerned, well I am intrigued as to why you can't even log on to your account from the M1 Mac. For one thing you will need to do this from one of your Macs in order to cancel the subscription. It is especially intriguing as you were able to use it on your M1 Mac before the lockout occurred (another mystery). I have never heard of anything like this before (not being able to og on to the account unless it has been locked due to unauthorised access attempts) and I am genuinely curious as to why this should happen. I wonder if it is due to you having moved around so your Adobe ID is registered in a different country - Spain or the USA - as the charges for the subscription are different depending on where you purchase and I presume you have to keep Adobe updated. Why am I curious? Well that is just me and it would be really interesting to know what is going on for future reference (for example, if I ever move country).

I've moved country, but still have my US Adobe products and use a US address, and a US credit card to pay for them.   Suggest that Edo log into his Adobe account on the website.  If he can't do that, then I dunno.  But if he can, he should check for accounts that predate the current two machines.   Or see if he's cancelled the account of the Spanish machine that the Apple Store in the UK took in trade. 

• Love 1

32 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Was it just the Apple account that wouldn't accept your touch ID / Password, or was it the MacBook so you couldn't even get the MacBook to do anything at all?

Mark

It was the MacBook.

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I bought and unboxed the M1 MacBook Air on 14 April 2021, less then 2 weeks ago. I opened it, got it working, and uploaded the apps I use -- including Adobe CC, and PhotoShop, Lightroom Classic, and Bridge. There were no problems. Everything was working fine. A week later the Air refused to allow me to sign on. It would not accept my Touch ID or take a password. Understand? I have been signing in and using Adobe CC since CC began. I've done that in NYC, Mexico, Spain, Ireland, and here. Since the CC apps sit on your computer, only sending pics to Alamy requires the Internet. 

Did you wipe the Spanish Air before selling it? 

My experience is that Apple wants the credit card to match the country -- I couldn't download and pay for anything from the Apple Store without a Nicaraguan credit card, though I could still log on to my Apple account and download free programs.   Adobe seems to not care as long as the CC company honors the charge.

7 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Edo, This thread is very interesting and I hope you don't mind me butting in here as I would like to ask a question of those using the free Capture One Express for Sony software?     Thank you.

A word about my processing first. I use LRC subscription version, only because I bought a camera that my perpetuity licence LR could not handle, and am happy with it as it does all I want INCLUDING adding keywords etc to images all in the same place. BUT do not like paying the subscription.

I have the free Capture One Express for Sony software loaded on my machine but only have had a cursory look at it when I loaded it. This was recently updated to the latest version but still languishes on the computer unseen and unused.

My question is can titles and keywords be added to images in C1E for Sony and will the appropriate boxes on Alamy be populated with the keywording etc.

Sorry Edo.

Allan

Yup, you can add keywords quite easily with Cap1E for Sony. Click in the orange "i" (information) icon on the top right.  At the bottom of the long "Metadata" dialogue box that appears, you'll see a "keywords" option where you can add your list. Works fine. 

What is sadly missing in the free Express version is a "keystone" adjustment tool. You get that only with the Pro version. I end up having to correct verticals in another program, which is no biggie but a bit inconvenient. Oh well, the price was right.

P.S. Some info on adding keywords here.

Edited by John Mitchell