Best Photo Editing Program Other Than Adobe?

4 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I remember the details now thanks.

Allan

I used to use PTLens for CA correction before I had a RAW processor that did it automatically. It was easy enough to crop off the skinny borders but also easy to miss them.

8 minutes ago, Sally R said:

Hi Allan, just letting you know I just uploaded some images and I put the keywords and a title on one of them in Capture One beforehand. While they are in QC I can't click on that photo to see if the caption and keywords are populated in AIM. But they usually take about 24 hours to pass, so will let you know after that. Will probably be Friday morning Perth, Australia time now as they'll probably pass while I'm asleep Thursday night. Will let you know probably on what will be Thursday evening your time (I think!).

Yes, people do say "no worries" here all the time, including myself. It's kind of like a relaxed way of saying everything is good and fine, and often people say it instead of "you're welcome" when someone thanks them for something.

I love hearing the different words people use in different parts of the world, including the ones that pop up here on the Alamy forum.

Many thanks for the update Sally.  Yes the world is rich in the spoken word, even when you, or I, cannot understand what is being said.

Allan

Sony still offers its own free RAW development software, now called Imaging Edge.

I used the original version of this converter when I bought my first Sony DSLR in 2007. It was called Sony Image Data Converter back then and, while basic, it wasn't bad at all. I have lots of images on Alamy that were processed with it. However, I haven't tried the latest incarnation, which looks a lot fancier than the old one.

Edited by John Mitchell

I got the Adobe CC apps up and working on my M1 MacBook Air. Don't ask! I have a dozen pressing issues at the moment and all must be dealt with in the next few days. I'm very stressed. I got 3 of them done today, so only 9 left. Tomorrow I hope to solve 3 more. They are not all computer related problems.

I will not be buying Capture One Pro, as good as I think it is. I did buy Affinity Photo, but I have not had time to deal with it yet. AP was on sale and not expensive. CapOne is on the free month. It's too expensive. When I have time, I want to see about getting Nik Collection again. 

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I got the Adobe CC apps up and working on my M1 MacBook Air. Don't ask!

Adding 2+2 from the cryptic post about keywords (which is what confused me) in the other thread, I'm guessing it was a password problem although you did say you knew your Adobe login details so maybe not. If that is the case, you definitely shoulda asked Ed. I could have saved you a lot of messing about. Best of luck with the other problems and do see that tip I left in the other thread about Mac login password recovery. 

4 hours ago, Sally R said:

What did not populate, however, was the title/caption. I think this is because I have used the wrong field in the metadata tab in Capture One. I put it in "Title" under IPTC -Status. Possibly it was meant to be in "Headline" under IPTC - Content.

Hi Sally, from what I've seen Capture One seems to have very comprehensive coverage of both standard and extended IPTC fields together with EXIF fields (display only) but it doesn't seem to be backed up by very good help pages to describe how to use them (or perhaps I haven't found them). You actually need to use the IPTC 'Description' field for your Alamy caption and then it will come in fine. 

13 hours ago, MDM said:

Adding 2+2 from the cryptic post about keywords (which is what confused me) in the other thread, I'm guessing it was a password problem although you did say you knew your Adobe login details so maybe not. If that is the case, you definitely shoulda asked Ed. I could have saved you a lot of messing about. Best of luck with the other problems and do see that tip I left in the other thread about Mac login password recovery. 

Strangely, the Adobe password found on both my MacBooks is the same one that didn't work a week ago. ??? But having a way to check my IDs and passwords is a revelation, and I thank you for that. There were other problems as well. It would be impossible for me to say what I did step by step—'poke around' is how I think of it. Last night, I tried to set up Apple on the Air to get an app from the Apple Store. It wouldn't take the Apple password I have on my Pro. ???

Anyway, I have no time for exotic computer problems today. 

And Sally: What I find strange about Affinity is the terms for things they use; it's a language I don't understand. CapOne is better that way. 

Edo

PS: I managed to change my Apple password. It was not 'easy.' They must have waltzed me around with 20 questions, back and forth on my Air. and my iPhone. There was a time when these apps served us; now we served them. When this stuff works, it's great. When it doesn't, it's a nightmare. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

8 hours ago, Sally R said:

Hi Allan. I can report back that the keywords I added in Capture One populated in AIM.

What did not populate, however, was the title/caption. I think this is because I have used the wrong field in the metadata tab in Capture One. I put it in "Title" under IPTC -Status. Possibly it was meant to be in "Headline" under IPTC - Content.

To make things more confusing there is also an IPTC - Getty Images category, suggesting some type of integration with that??? Not sure if this would integrate with other stock agencies or how it is meant to work. However, there are no field options showing to fill in for that, at least not in my Express version of CO.

So I can say keywords go across no problem into AIM, but will have to wait until my next upload to find out if the "Headline" option works for the caption.

Thank you for taking the time to check this out Sally.

It would appear that Harry has the answer by putting the caption in the "Description field".

Allan

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Strangely, the Adobe password found on both my MacBooks is the same one that didn't work a week ago. ??? But having a way to check my IDs and passwords is a revelation, and I thank you for that. There were other problems as well. It would be impossible for me to say what I did step by step—'poke around' is how I think of it. Last night, I tried to set up Apple on the Air to get an app from the Apple Store. It wouldn't take the Apple password I have on my Pro. ???

Anyway, I have no time for exotic computer problems today. 

And Sally: What I find strange about Affinity is the terms for things they use; it's a language I don't understand. CapOne is better that way. 

Edo

PS: I managed to change my Apple password. It was not 'easy.' They must have waltzed me around with 20 questions, back and forth on my Air. and my iPhone. There was a time when these apps served us; now we served them. When this stuff works, it's great. When it doesn't, it's a nightmare. 

Ok good you seem to have it sorted. The checks are to prevent security breaches which are a real problem in out digital world so, while annoying, are generally a good thing. Make sure it is working on all your devices and then, when time allows, follow my advice in the other thread about using Apple ID to reset your login password if you can if it is not already set up. Also make sure your system software stays up to date. 

On 25/04/2021 at 19:29, John Mitchell said:

What is sadly missing in the free Express version is a "keystone" adjustment tool.

Hi John, I have been looking on line at instructions for Capture One 21 Express and it appears that they now have a keystone correction tool. Maybe you are still using 20 Exp.

Allan

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Hi John, I have been looking on line at instructions for Capture One 21 Express and it appears that they now have a keystone correction tool. Maybe you are still using 20 Exp.

Allan

Where is the keystone correction tool in the interface for Capture One 21 Sony Express?  

39 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Where is the keystone correction tool in the interface for Capture One 21 Sony Express?  

I don't know. I saw a youtube presentation on line but it was talking about other things too. Have not had time to get back to it yet.

Allan

DARN! Went back to look for the item and can't find it now. Should'a bookmarked it.   Sorry

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

Two more problems solved today. One with the kind help of Michael Ventura. The last two problems will be moved to sometime towards the end of May. 

And speaking of moving, I have made the first steps in getting out of this problem ridden building. I will stay in Liverpool City Centre. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I don't know. I saw a youtube presentation on line but it was talking about other things too. Have not had time to get back to it yet.

Allan

DARN! Went back to look for the item and can't find it now. Should'a bookmarked it.   Sorry

ITMA

The full Capture One for Sony has it in the cursor tools (newest version).   It doesn't show up in the newest version of Capture One Express for Sony, or at least I couldn't find it. 

The newest version of Capture One was released in the last day or two since I updated my Sony Express version just a few days ago and then today with the latest version, and also installed a separate instance for the full version trial.

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Nope, I have the 21 version of Express. Still can't find a keystone correction tool, though.

Edited by John Mitchell

1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

The full Capture One for Sony has it in the cursor tools (newest version).   It doesn't show up in the newest version of Capture One Express for Sony, or at least I couldn't find it. 

The newest version of Capture One was released in the last day or two since I updated my Sony Express version just a few days ago and then today with the latest version, and also installed a separate instance for the full version trial.

That's right. There still seems to be only rotate and straighten cursor tools in the latest Express, no keystone tool.

I've been using FastStone for the past year or so, (faststone.org) - though its Windows only. no mac version

Works with RAW files, Great controls for lifting shadow areas, rotate/autocrop by increments, Good batch processing as well. 

Cloning isn't as good as Photoshop, but is ok for odd spots, and sadly it doesn't do IPTC data. But otherwise excellent for general editing.

Free trial, $35 licence

I'm still inputting IPTC data with Photoshop at the mo, I could do with a simple prog to do that, though I have just installed photomechanic & we'll see how that goes

7 hours ago, GP Essex said:

I've been using FastStone for the past year or so, (faststone.org) - though its Windows only. no mac version

Works with RAW files, Great controls for lifting shadow areas, rotate/autocrop by increments, Good batch processing as well. 

Cloning isn't as good as Photoshop, but is ok for odd spots, and sadly it doesn't do IPTC data. But otherwise excellent for general editing.

Free trial, $35 licence

I'm still inputting IPTC data with Photoshop at the mo, I could do with a simple prog to do that, though I have just installed photomechanic & we'll see how that goes

I have an ancient version of Photo Mechanic that I somehow managed to get running on Windows 10. It's a really good program for adding captions and keywords as well as for sorting and deleting images.