Best Photo Editing Program Other Than Adobe?

ON1 Photo RAW 2021 looks good. And inPixio Photo Studio 10 Mac might be okay too. What else? And are there Alamy people who use these things? 

A question I can't get google to answer is do they have a RAW to jpeg convertor? 

Thank you so much, Sally. I'm wondering how long age you were using On1 Photo RAW? And I'm not looking for the cheapest system; I need something that works. Capture One Express for Sony sounds interesting. And Affinity. Hmm.

I don't think Mark uses little Sonys. ???

Oh, sorry, Sally -- you said you tried On 1 a year ago . . . about the last time I was sane.

Edited by Ed Rooney

23 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, Mark -- that's on my list. I'm reading and watching reviews. Affinity Photo, inPixio, Exposure X6 look good too. I'm giving up on Adobe.

ACDSee for Mac uses Apple's RAW processing engine. As a result basic slider adjustments are extremely fast and interactive. Images don't need to be imported before they are worked on. The main issue I had when I tried it was that the healing brush was quite slow and "clunky" compared to PS. It's not the same level of editor as PS (far fewer capabilities) but it seemed pretty good. I'm sticking with LR+PS but am always keen to keep an eye on non-subscription alternatives.

I do use a litle Sony RX100 MkIII, but haven't tried with ON1. But I did find ON1's lens distortion correction was poor with Canon G15 images. If I recall correctly they use the open source crowd-sourced "lensfun" database of corrections. Not all of them are good.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

I Use Adobe Lightoom for my catalogue and basic editing and Photoshop for more complex work .. their Creative Cloud photography plan is good value and can be used on two machines. I have Affinity Pro as a back up which also works well.

As mentioned in other threads, I've been using Capture One Express for Sony for Raw conversion. It's surprisingly versatile, I find, especially for a free program. Yes, you can save your results as JPEGs if you like. I prefer to export them as 16-bit TIFS for further tweaking. A couple of months ago, I bought Affinity Photo (half price at the time) to replace my ageing version of PSElements, and I'm happy with Affinity as well. It's a bit is complicated, but the basics are easy enough to get hold of. You can develop and save RAW files as JPEGs with Affinity as well. However, I prefer to use it only for retouching as I find Capture One better for RAW processing. I still use my ancient copy of PS Elements for some tasks, It's nice and simple (like me ). Looks as if Affinity Photo might still be on sale.

Adios Adobe...

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, wilkopix said:

I Use Adobe Lightoom for my catalogue and basic editing and Photoshop for more complex work .. their Creative Cloud photography plan is good value and can be used on two machines. I have Affinity Pro as a back up which also works well.

Best Photo Editing Program Other Than Adobe?

• Love 1

Rob, I've been happily using Adobe since about 2007, but this last year with CC, the relationship has come apart.

Steve, a new Sony? That may happen. I feel that I'm entering my last round of stock photography and my RX100-6 is feeling the wear and tear of nomad land living. Is that an RX100-7 I see on the horizon? Anyway, if I don't work out my Mac and Adobe problems soon, I might toss all this stuff in the Mersey and jump in after it. I can't swim. 

I've installed both Capture One 21 Sony and Affinity on both my Macs, and now all I have to do is learn how to use them. 🤪

Not yet, John. 

I just got stopped when I tried to activate Cap One on my new Air. The message said I can't have it on two computers. I'll have to think about that. 

A question: Can I do all the basic stuff to get a snap ready for Alamy on ether Affinity or Cap Pro alone? 

Wow, that's got to be the BEST tutorial video I've ever seen -- so clear and understandable, and the guy speak slowly.

Another few days and I should be able to finalise my divorce from Adobe. I get the car and the beach house. She gets my old flat on Mulberry. 

33 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Not yet, John. 

I just got stopped when I tried to activate Cap One on my new Air. The message said I can't have it on two computers. I'll have to think about that. 

A question: Can I do all the basic stuff to get a snap ready for Alamy on ether Affinity or Cap Pro alone? 

It sounds as if you shelled out for the Pro version of Capture One, which must have lots of extra vitamins. Theoretically, you can get everything Alamy-ready in either Cap One or Affinity. However, I mix and match several programs (story of my life), so it's probably best that someone else chimes in on that score.

I too loathe how-to videos where the narrator speaks too quickly. It's a sign of our hyperactive times, I guess.

I also immediately nix all videos that begun with a bombastic, "Hey, guys! Today I'm gonna talk about....)

That sounds odd, the main 'Capture One (for Sony) 21' license states that:

"While you can activate your Capture One single-user license on up to 2 computers, it is exclusive to one user only. If you need a license for multiple users, a multi-user or Enterprise license could be for you."

https://www.captureone.com/en/products-plans/single-user/capture-one-for-sony

At the risk of  losing a few more fingers offering unsolicited opinions but, given that the problems with Adobe appeared to be related to Photoshop rather than Lightroom (Classic I think), would it not just be better to work in Lightroom and forget Photoshop, at least for the moment? The task of learning a new program would seem to my simple mind to be a lot more daunting than simply using Lightroom. Import - Adjust - Export - Upload -  Happy. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

My post was a bit on the minimalist side Ed, but I was just trying to suggest that you should be OK installing the full version of Capture One for Sony on two different computers, but no more than two. If instead you downloaded the free 'Express' version from here then, since it's free, I would have thought you could do the same, but I suppose it's just possible that they've contrived to prevent you from doing so. I have the free Capture One Express for Fuji, and also Affinity Photo but since I can still use my Perpetual license version of Lightroom with my current cameras I simply haven't learnt to use either properly. You could certainly do everything you need to in Lightroom as Michael suggests, I'm a big fan of Lightroom but I'm fairly allergic to the Adobe subscription model.

40 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

That sounds odd, the main 'Capture One (for Sony) 21' license states that:

"While you can activate your Capture One single-user license on up to 2 computers, it is exclusive to one user only. If you need a license for multiple users, a multi-user or Enterprise license could be for you."

https://www.captureone.com/en/products-plans/single-user/capture-one-for-sony

I've got the free Capture One Express for Sony software running on two computers using two different licensing keys. Obviously you can't do that with the paid-for version.

2 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I've got the free Capture One Express for Sony software running on two computers using two different licensing keys.

Right, so that suggests that Ed has downloaded the Express version and is using the same licence key on both, timely information.

8 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

No, my Adobe problems are in both LrC and PS and I can't put any of the Adobe apps on my new Air. 

That makes no sense. Two simple questions.

1. Can you log into your Adobe account?

2.  Can you install other applications?

11 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Right, so that suggests that Ed has downloaded the Express version and is using the same licence key on both, timely information.

That makes sense, I guess. Only Edo knows for sure.

I found that if you delete the free "Express" version, all you have to do is hit the "download now"  button on the CapOne website again and you'll receive a new licensing key. It seems to be an automated process.

Edited by John Mitchell