Best Photo Editing Program Other Than Adobe?

On my buying day, with the help of the Apple salesman-techie, we wiped it clean, MizBrown.

I've been working with Capture One Pro Sony this afternoon. Mostly, I've been doing well. They have really good tutorial. I can't find where to check the image size or the distortion corrector. Not yet, I haven't. 

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

It was the MacBook.

Ouch! That's a bit of showstopper, especially if you've turned on disk encryption and or a firmware password. If not, it seems there maybe ways to get back in by creating another Admin account. Searching online for Big Surr can't login shows some possibilities, but probably not for the faint hearted.

Mark

16 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

On my buying day, with the help of the Apple salesman-techie, we wiped it clean, MizBrown.

I've been working with Capture One Pro Sony this afternoon. Mostly, I've been doing well. They have really good tutorial. I can't find where to check the image size or the distortion corrector. Not yet, I haven't. 

In the "Express" version, the distortion slider can be found by clicking the circular "Lens" icon in the toolbar. It's in the "Lens Correction" section. Also, you can check the "Crop"section for the pixel dimensions of the image.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Ouch! That's a bit of showstopper, especially if you've turned on disk encryption and or a firmware password. If not, it seems there maybe ways to get back in by creating another Admin account. Searching online for Big Surr can't login shows some possibilities, but probably not for the faint hearted.

Mark

With Big Sur and also Catalina I think if not earlier, you can just click Allow user to reset password using Apple ID in Users and Groups and you can do this while setting up the Mac. Of course it is no good if you haven't already done it. 

I just gave Pixelmator (as suggested in Alamy's blog) another spin to see how much it's changed since I last tried it a couple of years ago. It's pretty good for the money. It uses Apple's RAW engine, so it's fast. But IMHO has asome limitations relative to getting a RAW image ready for Alamy QC.

1) No CA removal adjustment. I think it removes a fixed amount of CA based on the lens profile but, if this doesn't quite get the job done, there's no manual override.

2) No lens distortion adjustment. It removes lens distortion automatically based on the lens profile. But again, if a further tweak is needed, there's no manual override.

3) Noise reduction appears crude and excessive. If noise reduction is needed the only way I could find to do it is to use the "ML Denoise" function (ML = Machine Learning) which overdid it by miles, to give a watercolour painting effect.

4) Detail - I couldn't extract as much detail from a RAW file as I can in LR/PS/ACR

5) No undo history panel (just Cmd Z to step back one edit at a time)

6) I didn't find the "default" rendering of my RAWs as appealing as I do in LR/PS/ACR, so more work was required to adjust them. No doubt presets could be created to overcome this.

On the plus side it it has layers, perspective and distortion adjustments, 8 and 16 bit mode, colour space support and the other controls that are there seem to work OK. The healing tool seems particularly effective. It's also low cost £38.99 in UK.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Love 1

I just uploaded a dozen images edited on Capture One Pro Sony. There are still a few things I need to get comfortable with, but I think I'm really going to like this program. Please, God -- don't let it turn into another Redback spider.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, MDM said:

With Big Sur and also Catalina I think if not earlier, you can just click Allow user to reset password using Apple ID in Users and Groups and you can do this while setting up the Mac. Of course it is no good if you haven't already done it. 

Yes that works on earlier versions too. There are some other tricks too https://osxdaily.com/2010/08/10/forgot-mac-password-how-to-reset-mac-password/

The sobering thing about the "create a new admin account" trick is that it shows how important it is to also set up file vault disk encryption if you want to keep your data secure in case your Mac is stolen. It's also possible to link unlocking file vault with AppleID. Not sure if that works with the Firmware password too. I haven't turned that feature on.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

My latest report:

I'm using the 30-day Free testing on Capture One Pro 21. My first dozen snaps edited on it passed QC and are on view waiting for me to complete tagging. Cap1 is the most costly of the Adobe alternative programs. I would like to find one that works as well for less money. I bought Affinity, but am having trouble with it, and I got GIMP. Having trouble with that too. I downloaded free test of DxO, but I have trouble so far with that. Maybe the commercial world is trying to tell me something? 

I will finish trying to solve the few remaining problems with Cap1, then focus on the other programs, one by one. 

20 hours ago, Sally R said:

Hi Allan. You can add keywords and a title in the metadata panel in Capture One Express. This panel is under the "i" info button. I am probably an oddball in that I have been doing all my keywording and captioning in Alamy Image Manager, I think because I'm just contributing to the one stock library and it hasn't seemed really necessary to keyword beforehand. But actually, it probably makes sense to do so and saves time later.

It's almost midnight here so I won't try it now, but I will add a title and keywords in Capture One with my next upload and can confirm for you that they populate the appropriate boxes in AIM. I am 99.9% sure they would.

You may find the lack of perspective correction and selective editing tools a bit frustrating in Capture One Express after using Lightroom, but for images where those things don't matter you could certainly start using CO Express to see if you find it intuitive and like it. I'm managing to complete any additional tasks not possible in CO Express in Affinity Photo. You could do the same by exporting a TIFF and opening it in Photoshop. When I eventually get a new computer I may get Capture One Pro, which will be able to do these additional tasks (though some problems are reported with CO's perspective correction tool, so may keep using Affinity for that, and will also need Affinity for panorama stitching which I'm yet to experiment with).

Thanks Sally

Allan

18 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Yup, you can add keywords quite easily with Cap1E for Sony. Click in the orange "i" (information) icon on the top right.  At the bottom of the long "Metadata" dialogue box that appears, you'll see a "keywords" option where you can add your list. Works fine. 

What is sadly missing in the free Express version is a "keystone" adjustment tool. You get that only with the Pro version. I end up having to correct verticals in another program, which is no biggie but a bit inconvenient. Oh well, the price was right.

P.S. Some info on adding keywords here.

Thanks for that information John.  Now can you tell me if the keywords so entered show up in the correct boxes in AIM please?

Allan

I hardly ever use the "keystone" tool and will be able to live with that.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

7 minutes ago, Sally R said:

No worries Allan. I think from John's comments above he is saying that the keywords do translate over to AIM. I probably won't upload again until Wednesday but can check for sure then.

P.S. I can see you've just asked him that question now.

Thanks Sally. As they say in Australia. "No worries".  At least that is what we hear on the TV ads over here.🙃

Allan

OH! I see you did say that at the beginning of your post.🤪

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

On 25/04/2021 at 10:29, Ed Rooney said:

I just typed out a long answer to most of your questions . . . and before I could post it, it disappeared. Am I paranoid? You bet I am.

I know my Adobe ID and password, Michael. They would not let me use it or change it on my new M1 Air.

Call them, Betty? Impossible! And I was online with them all day Friday, from after breakfast until late afternoon—got disconnected 3 times. At this point, to me, Adobe is like Lubbock, Texas—something in my rearview mirror.

We have drifted off subject here. Please read my headline. You all have been asking about things that are in posts like Need a new iMac, and Good day, and Bad day. Sally Down Under and John on the Pacific Coast gave me the answer I was looking for. I have/had Capture One Express Sony. When I try to sign in, they give me the same code number. I’ve deleted the program on my older Pro, but I can’t sign in with or without it on the M1 Air.

I’m sitting here alone in Nomadland. There’s no one at my elbow to see if I do things right. Even the now-invisible Genius Bar people screwed up in handling my problem at Apple.

But I’ve taken a path and I will prevail.

Thanks, all.

I started using Rawtherapee after continuous  problems with Adobe Lightroom Classic despite three days of their tech experts and trying to problem shoot it myself the issue was unresolved and I decided I saw no point in continuing to pay subscription for a buggy program. Despite a complaint I was charged for rest of years subscriptions..

It was third time during year it would not open. However I m not a big fan of rawtherapee 100% so far either so not sure where I shall go. I feel your pain 

😔

• Thanks 1

Sally, you are a Sheila Queen! Thanks for your help. 

I have a month to work with these programs before making the final choice. If the price was lower, I'd just buy Capture One Pro 21 now and stay with that. We'll see.

Have a good night's sleep. The evil alarm woke me at 2AM last night. I'm going to have to move. 

4 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Sally, you are a Sheila Queen! Thanks for your help. 

I have a month to work with these programs before making the final choice. If the price was lower, I'd just buy Capture One Pro 21 now and stay with that. We'll see.

Have a good night's sleep. The evil alarm woke me at 2AM last night. I'm going to have to move. 

Good move, s'cuse the pun.

You really do need to get a good nights sleep.

Allan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Thanks for that information John.  Now can you tell me if the keywords so entered show up in the correct boxes in AIM please?

Allan

I hardly ever use the "keystone" tool and will be able to live with that.

ITMA

Afraid I can't give you a definitive answer on that, Allan, as I prefer to do my keywording using another program (Photo Mechanic). I'll experiment with an image and let you know. Mind you, these days it is taking me ages to get anything uploaded, so don't hold your breath. I generally use PTLens, which I believe you're familiar with, for correcting verticals when necessary. It's so simple to use that even I can figure it out. Otherwise, C1 Express 4 So-knee has just about everything else I need for RAW conversion.

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Afraid I can't give you a definitive answer on that, Allan, as I prefer to do my keywording using another program (Photo Mechanic). I'll experiment with an image and let you know. Mind you, these days it is taking me ages to get anything uploaded, so don't hold your breath. I generally use PTLens, which I believe you're familiar with, for correcting verticals when necessary. It's so simple to use that even I can figure it out. Otherwise, C1 Express 4 So-knee has just about everything else I need for RAW conversion.

So-knee?? Ah. Sony! 😂 You almost got me on that one!

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Good move, s'cuse the pun.

You really do need to get a good nights sleep.

Allan

I spoke to my rental agent today. I hope to get a new place and move in in June. We'll see. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

For everyone who had trouble with Lightroom Classic when Adobe released first versions of LRC 10, the problems went away with the release of 10.2.   This was on older machines that were still said to be supported by LrC.   I had to turn off hardware acceleration in preferences before that version.

23 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Hi John, Yes I am familiar with PTLens but have not used it for some time now. I remember telling someone on the Alamy forums that when it is used to correct an image it produces a border which needs to be cropped off all sides or it will probably fail QC when loading to Alamy.

17 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Hi John, Yes I am familiar with PTLens but have not used it for some time now. I remember telling someone on the Alamy forums that when it is used to correct an image it produces a border which needs to be cropped off all sides or it will probably fail QC when loading to Alamy.

Yes, PTLens can produce an annoying border if you do a lot of heavy CA corrections. I don't use it for that any longer. It's fine for correcting verticals, though -- i.e. no borders.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, PTLens can produce an annoying border if you do a lot of heavy CA corrections. I don't use it for that any longer. It's fine for correcting verticals, though -- i.e. no borders.

I remember the details now thanks.

Allan