Fuji X-T4

Bit the bullet and bought an X-T4 this week ( open box, good price). Got accepted into the Fuji professional scheme as well.  On it's first outing sold a live news pic, so can't complain.  Lovely bright viewfinder.  I got an X-T30 a bit ago which will become backup / holiday camera now.  I'm still tempted with the Sony's though,  will be interesting what the replacement for the A7 III will be like and cost, from what I read it sounds ideal - I don't fancy a mega resolution camera, but at 30 ish megapixels I can see that working.  Just need to sort out how the video works now, thats going to be fun.

regards Simon 

29 minutes ago, Simon said:

Bit the bullet and bought an X-T4 this week ( open box, good price). Got accepted into the Fuji professional scheme as well.  On it's first outing sold a live news pic, so can't complain.  Lovely bright viewfinder.  I got an X-T30 a bit ago which will become backup / holiday camera now.  I'm still tempted with the Sony's though,  will be interesting what the replacement for the A7 III will be like and cost, from what I read it sounds ideal - I don't fancy a mega resolution camera, but at 30 ish megapixels I can see that working.  Just need to sort out how the video works now, thats going to be fun.

regards Simon 

Very nice! I've had my eye on Fuji for a while but the choice and range is dazzling. Like being in a sweet shop

30 minutes ago, BradleyPhoto said:

Very nice! I've had my eye on Fuji for a while but the choice and range is dazzling. Like being in a sweet shop

Like a lot of other people I got tired of lugging heavy DSLR and huge lenses around. I got the XT-3 and a couple of kit lenses ( actually one less than kit, the XC)  and was blown away by the quality of pictures from them. I then found a 1/2 price F2.8 zoom lens - new on Ebay, so got that.  The X-T30 has it's minor annoyances with being so small,  hence the X-T4.   I'm hanging onto the Nikon stuff for the time being to use for my storm pictures, not point in getting a brand new camera soaked with salt-water, although i came close to it yesterday 😉

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Simon said:

Like a lot of other people I got tired of lugging heavy DSLR and huge lenses around. I got the XT-3 and a couple of kit lenses ( actually one less than kit, the XC)  and was blown away by the quality of pictures from them. I then found a 1/2 price F2.8 zoom lens - new on Ebay, so got that.  The X-T30 has it's minor annoyances with being so small,  hence the X-T4.   I'm hanging onto the Nikon stuff for the time being to use for my storm pictures, not point in getting a brand new camera soaked with salt-water, although i came close to it yesterday 😉

Aye, the weight of mirrorless is great. Is the x-t4 significantly bigger than x-t30? Small hands here, unfortunately!

After owning both the X-T1 and X-T2 I traded them in on an X-T4 soon after it was available.  Skipped the X-T3.

X-T4 IMO is noticeably better than the 1 and 2.   I am very satisfied using it for both stills and some video clip work.

Yes Betty - the X-T4 has IBIS to go with any lens with or without OIS.   

Edited by Phil

5 hours ago, Phil said:

After owning both the X-T1 and X-T2 I traded them in on an X-T4 soon after it was available.  Skipped the X-T3.

X-T4 IMO is noticeably better than the 1 and 2.   I am very satisfied using it for both stills and some video clip work.

Yes Betty - the X-T4 has IBIS to go with any lens with or without OIS.   

I thought so. It’s tempting.

Loved FUJI since the RDP film days (100 ASA chrome film) My first FUJI DSLR was the S2 Pro and had a number of FUJI DSLR's 

up to the S5s, still have one in a box.  The FUJI S2 was the best DSLR for the best price in its day.  I had a relationship with FUJI

and the reps.  Then one day FUJI got rid of the reps I worked with and NIKON came out with the D700 and then the D800 and

I stopped using FUJI DSLR's.  In the last ten years I have seen no reason to use FUJIFILM products.  Don't get me started on
SONY and yes I know that SONY makes the sensors in the NIKONs.  To put my feelings about NIKON into perspective, I was 

moving to the Soviet Union in 1989 and all of my equipment was stolen from the NYC apartment that I was staying in, four

F4s's and two each ED AF glass from 20 to 300.  I called the NIKON Pro rep in New York at 10 PM EST and in the morning

I had all the camera equipment that I needed.  All of the work that I did on Chernobyl was done with the help and support

of NIKON ( I am just now moving my best Chernobyl images onto Alamy.)  I will add that in the 80's and early 90's I had a

very, very good relationship with Leitz and many of my favorite film images were made with Leica M film bodies and lenses.

I wish I could win the Lottery and just work with Leica M's, but that is not going to happen.

Chuck

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Curious, Chuck and Ed, if either of you were in Vietnam during the US war (I know Ed was), did you run into a Vietnamese teenager who was doing camera repairs for photojournalists?  My Nikon repair guy for a F3 that my brother had loaned me was that kid older and working in the District of Columbia suburbs when I lived there.  He cleaned and fixed the F3 and cleaned two lenses and advised that the third one wasn't worth fixing.  Don't know if he's still working over ten years later, but he came highly recommended by Nikon film users in the area.  

From what I heard, he was self-taught, and kept a number of cameras going during that war and after. 

32 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Curious, Chuck and Ed, if either of you were in Vietnam during the US war (I know Ed was), did you run into a Vietnamese teenager who was doing camera repairs for photojournalists?  My Nikon repair guy for a F3 that my brother had loaned me was that kid older and working in the District of Columbia suburbs when I lived there.  He cleaned and fixed the F3 and cleaned two lenses and advised that the third one wasn't worth fixing.  Don't know if he's still working over ten years later, but he came highly recommended by Nikon film users in the area.  

From what I heard, he was self-taught, and kept a number of cameras going during that war and after. 

Miz,  Thankfully I had nothing to do the Vietnam war.

The sad thing to me in 2021 is that people don't fix things anymore.  Cars, Cameras, Watches, etc.  I still fondly remember when I had three Canon F-1s, a Leica M2, M4 and M6

Hasselblads EL and 500 and all the glass to work with.  I thought those would last me for the rest of my life......  Now nobody wants to repair anything.  

They did take my Kodachrome away......

3 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Now nobody wants to repair anything.  

I've read about some Nicaraguans who keep older cameras going.   The local buses are recycled US school buses with rebuilt suspensions.  An ex-landlord repairs computers and has never bought a new one.   I used to know a young guy who used to order camera parts and broken cameras on line and repair point and shoots and then resell them.   New electronics are actually more expensive than in the US (duties and a 15% sales tax).  A garage up the street keeps the Red Cross ambulances, buses, and private cars going.  It looks like nothing, but has a good reputation.  Cars, too, get taxed insanely, so they get repaired.

On 21/01/2021 at 19:01, Mr Standfast said:

Enjoy your Fuji's Simon. They are a bit habit forming.

What are you doing about flash?

Hi - For the time being I got a Godox transmitter Fuji, and a Nikon receiver so I can use off camera flash albeit manually, which is fine. I may well get a Godox Fuji

On 21/01/2021 at 18:15, meanderingemu said:

nice.  didn't need the video so settled on the XT-3.  

Nice getting the zoom half price.  I keep checking around.  

QUick Note @Simon, two of your "Sunrise with church and river" from Live News on 17th have no captions....

Thanks for pointing that out .. I'm surprised because normally if the captions don't appear they fail straight away. i'll go look now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Simon said:

Thanks for pointing that out .. I'm surprised because normally if the captions don't appear they fail straight away. i'll go look now.

I’ve had problems with live news and captions not appearing in the past week or so. Must be a system issue as mine were definitely captioned

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Never tried using the X-T range, always preferred the rangefinder look but i'm tempted, I think the software is better, ie, focus stacking is available. What are the main benefits for the 4 coming from the 3?  

On 21/01/2021 at 15:29, Simon said:

interesting what the replacement for the A7 III will be like and cost,

Sony brought out the A1 and I think this might be the new A7 range. Mentioned in another thread.

Allan

7 hours ago, Jay D said:

Never tried using the X-T range, always preferred the rangefinder look but i'm tempted, I think the software is better, ie, focus stacking is available. What are the main benefits for the 4 coming from the 3?  

Major benefits of X-T4 compared to X-T3 are IBIS (In Body Image Stabilization),  bigger longer life battery, improved AF. better rear LCD.  There are others but these these are most substantial.

Edited by Phil
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Major benefits of X-T4 compared to X-T3 are IBIS (In Body Image Stabilization),  bigger longer life battery, improved AF. better rear LCD.  There are others but these these are most substantial.

Those are pretty substantial factors, and i notice the price difference isn't massive. I have promised no more camera bodies this year after 2 last year...Theres always a justification ;)

On 22/01/2021 at 17:48, MizBrown said:

Don't know about that fix-it kid in Saigon. I was there in 1967. I had three Nikon Fs and a Leica M2. One F got broken and I dropped the M2 out the door of a Huey. The other two Nikons made it home with a few scuffs. I still had one in Mulberry Street; it still worked. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Jay D said:

Those are pretty substantial factors, and i notice the price difference isn't massive. I have promised no more camera bodies this year after 2 last year...Theres always a justification ;)

i ended buying the XT-3 when on sale ($500 CAN$ off).  Price difference also greater if you are already using Fuji-X, because the XT-4 uses a new battery 😉 

also check on the improved AF, because the XT-3 got a Firmware update, and it greatly improved the AF, and was lead to believe they are now on par. 

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Like 1