Is AIM broken....AGAIN?

3 hours ago, Cal said:

Still a delay compared to usual. My QC pass 18 hours ago is not on sale so I’m guessing going by previous patterns it will be sometime tomorrow or the 24th they go on sale. 

I've also noticed when saving changes in AIM it tells you to wait up to 48 hours. Don’t know if it’s always said that but I could have sworn it said 24 previously. 

Not on Sale, but Included in the Forum Blue number for me, which in last few months meant often up for sale by 14:00 GMT, so i will check in an hour...

37 minutes ago, Cal said:

Interestingly enough they've just made a Twitter post about this saying not to worry if your changes aren't visible as the search engine refreshes approximately every 24 hours.

I'm not a gambling man but I'd put money on it not refreshing approximately every 24 hours for quite a few of us here.

did they address the difference in reading the database from the contributor Forum and the Image for sales?  

My is now a disconnect of exactly the numbers that were accepted yesterday, which only happens overnight.  So there is some form of refresh somewhere.

3 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

did they address the difference in reading the database from the contributor Forum and the Image for sales?  

My is now a disconnect of exactly the numbers that were accepted yesterday, which only happens overnight.  So there is some form of refresh somewhere.

Check the latest tweet on your contributor dashboard, that's the one I'm referring to. The blue number on the forum for me has always updated overnight, where when things were working normally would also indicate images on sale. What happens now though is the number updates but the images are nowhere to be found for another 1-2 days. I will consider it a Christmas miracle if our updates are on sale in an hour.

By the way I really like your photo 2DKYB9W

Edited by Cal

41 minutes ago, Cal said:

Check the latest tweet on your contributor dashboard, that's the one I'm referring to. The blue number on the forum for me has always updated overnight, where when things were working normally would also indicate images on sale. What happens now though is the number updates but the images are nowhere to be found for another 1-2 days. I will consider it a Christmas miracle if our updates are on sale in an hour.

But that's a big problem, for the Blue Number to update, if means there has to be a Database refresh.  That number is linked to image in database for sale.  It always only include images on Stock side, and Up for Sale after overnight refresh.    If Alamy wants an investigating starting point this needs to be included, The refresh Has happened somewhere, but images don't get visible for clients, which is worse case scenario from a problem solving research, because the issue would not be with the Database refresh it would be after.

Thanks for the comment of the image.  Actually one of the image i now have two version for sale, as I had first uploaded as weather news in the batches that were lost, so then as the best of the set also uploaded as stock when things reopen, to only have the News appear later....  as it was borderline on ISO can't decide if i want the one with " possible imperfection" notice to remain. 

Edited by meanderingemu

2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

But that's a big problem, for the Blue Number to update, if means there has to be a Database refresh.  That number is linked to image in database for sale.  It always only include images on Stock side, and Up for Sale after overnight refresh.    If Alamy wants an investigating starting point this needs to be included, The refresh Has happened somewhere, but images don't get visible for clients, which is worse case scenario from a problem solving research, because the issue would not be with the Database refresh it would be after.

Thanks for the comment of the image.  Actually one of the image i now have two version for sale, as I had first uploaded as weather news in the batches that were lost, so then as the best of the set also uploaded as stock when things reopen, to only have the News appear later....  as it was borderline on ISO can't decide if i want the one with " possible imperfection" notice to remain. 

Can I suggest that you and anyone else who is experiencing this issue with slow DB updates tweet them (not a DM but an actual tweet or reply to their tweet). I have done this and they have come back to me saying that apart from the few occasions where it has been delayed due to technical issues they do a DB update every 24 hours. I have submitted content frequently in this last month and know that not to be true as do various others here and we need to make them aware of this. Given that AIM now states you should wait up to 48 hours for changes to stick when you hit save (I am sure this used to state 24 hours) it seems that the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing here.

@meanderingemu, @Avpics, @CAROL SAUNDERS, @PAL Media, @Matt Ashmore

2 hours ago, Cal said:

Can I suggest that you and anyone else who is experiencing this issue with slow DB updates tweet them (not a DM but an actual tweet or reply to their tweet). I have done this and they have come back to me saying that apart from the few occasions where it has been delayed due to technical issues they do a DB update every 24 hours.

I'd be surprised if those that need to know aren't aware. It frustrated me when Elisabeth stated on here that sales are reported immediately which as we know that is very far from the truth, but I guess if it's not something she's involved with then it wouldn't be her concern. The IT section must be on such details as the database updates all the time I would think.

11 minutes ago, Avpics said:

I'd be surprised if those that need to know aren't aware.

So would I, but the policy of keeping contributors in the dark until it is an inescapable reality that can't be denied (a la the datacentre outage that took the site offline for a whole day, where they said absolutely nothing of the cause until people had found out themselves) seems to lead here. Regardless, as you say there has been a database update which has taken me by surprise!

EDIT: and right as I go to click my blue numbers I get the "sorry, we'll be right back" page... 😂

Edited by Cal
  • Like 1

Although it did take a while for page to load. Latest images are now showing up.

Reminder: Many organisations are on a skeleton  crew because of Covid. So issues may take a while longer to be resolved.

Edited by Cee Dee Dickinson

7 hours ago, Cal said:

settle for half a miracle for 3-5 hours?  

• Love 1

Did a bunch of tests last night  on the Stock side and it seems that today's update was successful.

Images added up to past 1am GMT made it on the refresh and now up for sale.  (the lastest one was added at 1:10)

KW and Caption changes made between 23:00 and 1:10 Also made it through on the refresh, and are fully searchable as of now.

so a big thanks to the @Alamyteam.  well done...

(haven't done live news upload this week, so can't check about those functionality )

On 24/12/2020 at 12:44, meanderingemu said:

(haven't done live news upload this week, so can't check about those functionality )

That and everything else has been fine for me since the 23rd. It's nice to have changes made on an evening coming through again early the next day. 

Edited by Cal
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Cal said:

That and everything else has been fine for me since the 23rd. It's nice to have changes made on an evening coming through again early the next day. 

Good to know, when something happens around here 🙂 .  saw some people working the Rideau Canal ice, so may get skating soon, one of the rare activity possible with the lock-down