July 2020 Favourite Uploads

Colblimp

Bitter Springs, Northern Territory, Australia

2C6CMFP.jpg

Camping in the wilderness by full moon while dingos are howling around us.

2C6CMG5.jpg

• Love 2

22 hours ago, Sally R said:

Love this one Kristin! Cats always seem to find the prime position for warmth and light.

What's hilarious about that is that the sun beam just found her there. She didn't even seek the spot out, was sitting there already. I picked up the camera from where I was sitting on the opposite couch and snapped it without even sitting up. 😁

16 hours ago, gvallee said:

Bitter Springs, Northern Territory, Australia

2C6CMFP.jpg

Ah...

I was on my way to Bitter Springs earlier in the week, but got call back to Darwin by an emergency when I was around Mataranka...

Bitter Springs is a great place to relax.

On 10/07/2020 at 09:44, Regis said:

Ah...

I was on my way to Bitter Springs earlier in the week, but got call back to Darwin by an emergency when I was around Mataranka...

Bitter Springs is a great place to relax.

Bummer! You were very nearly there. If it's any comfort, you might not have missed much. With the school holidays, it was jammed packed. Social distancing?? How?? No way. We were camping next to it, so were able to get there very early in the day before anyone staying elsewhere had the chance to arrive. And you should have seen Cooinda.... Pure hell on earth. One week to go before the kids return to school. Yeah!!

• Like 1

This was shot a long time ago in Thailand using a Nikon D200, so the image quality was too soft to use.

But thankfully Topaz Sharpen AI changed all that. 

crocodile-show-at-the-samutprakan-crocodile-farm-near-samut-prakan-town-thailand-2C6B40T.jpg

• Love 1

Cane toad, an introduced pest in Australia (or me after lunch... I mean the belly, although one could of course argue that I am also an introduced pest...)

2C6RFRF.jpg

Black Kite (Milvus migrans) wild

2C6RFRE.jpg

Magpie Lark (Grallina cyanoleuca) with grasshopper

2C6RFR7.jpg

Blue-faced Honeyeater (Entomyzon cyanotis)

2C6RFR2.jpg

• Like 1

Your birds-on-termite-mounds photos are awesome Genevive... am glad you're not stuck in lockdown somewhere, and able to roam with your campervan.

...and camera!

Edited by LSP

25 minutes ago, LSP said:

Your birds-on-termite-mounds photos are awesome Genevive... am glad you're not stuck in lockdown somewhere, and able to roam with your campervan.

...and camera!

Thank you Susan! They were fun to shoot. We've been in NT for about 8 months now. We spent 2 months in lockdown in Alice Springs. NT is definitely the safest place to be in Oz but no-one knows what tomorrow will bring. NT borders open on 17th. Permanent travellers like us thought that we could disappear somewhere in the bush for lockdown with all that empty space. Not so, it wasn't allowed. Then they rightly closed all the bio-security regions and all campsites with no en-suite facilities. We were lucky to end up in an excellent caravan park with a swimming pool and lots of friendly co-prisoners. We respected lockdown rules but I can't say the same for locals. The reason was that there were no covid cases in NT for 2 months.

19 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Thank you Susan! They were fun to shoot. We've been in NT for about 8 months now. We spent 2 months in lockdown in Alice Springs. NT is definitely the safest place to be in Oz but no-one knows what tomorrow will bring. NT borders open on 17th. Permanent travellers like us thought that we could disappear somewhere in the bush for lockdown with all that empty space. Not so, it wasn't allowed. Then they rightly closed all the bio-security regions and all campsites with no en-suite facilities. We were lucky to end up in an excellent caravan park with a swimming pool and lots of friendly co-prisoners. We respected lockdown rules but I can't say the same for locals. The reason was that there were no covid cases in NT for 2 months.

Yes, same here in FNQ, we have done quite well. In Queensland, biosecurity borders are now open up to Cape York as far as I know. Some domestic tourism flights are resuming here into Cairns. Who knows what will happen as all of those chilly southerners charge north for their winter holidays. 😕

PS - our Edge Hill sunbirds are re-using their indoor nest from last year and there are tiny meeping sounds! I think I may be about to be a fairy birdmother again!

Edited by LSP
  • Love 1

My Oncidium sphacelatum this year.   Most years, it blooms a bit earlier as does another orchid that's currently blooming that I don't have a good photo of.  I've had this orchid for a number of years now.  First year it bloomed, it only had one spike and one or two blooms.  This year around eight or nine spikes.   I didn't fertilize it this past year.   This is a native orchid here that has a range from Mexico to northern Venezuela.   The plants grow into huge clusters of leaves and pseudo bulbs, and look rather ugly during most of the year (at least one of my former housekeepers thought so).   It makes this display for a couple of weeks up to a month. 

2C63FHW.jpg

Thank you Sally! I've seen many many black kites but always in the air. After a while it gets boring to take flight shots because there are so many kites species flying low in Oz. Straight tail, forked tail, yes, it's exciting for a while to be able to identify them but not really a challenge to photograph.  This individual was photographed in a campsite. He swooped over a site when campers were not there. He found something, took it to a branch overhead and ate it there. I have shots of that but it looks too much like bread to me, so pix will stay on my hard drive. I was pleased with this eye level shot.

1 hour ago, Sally R said:

I love the light in these ones Regis. I love that time of day - absolutely beautiful with the steam and low angle of the sun. I like the rainbow colours in the water too.

Thank you Sally,

Yes this is a very beautiful place.

It has changed a lot since the first time I went there about 25 years ago.

At the time it was full of bats, reptiles birds and other animals..

The only animals I saw this time were wallabies, birds and a few wild piglets. I was a bit afraid to see mama pig, but thankfully, didn't see her at all.

And the water is nice and warm, and it is free...

A really nice spot to relax if ever you find yourself in the top end.

Have a good day,

Regis