Adobe CC Problems?

Ah thanks so much everyone, I thought I was going mad!  That is so helpful as my next question was going to be the lens profile one.  I liked it as it was before it was so straightforward but I guess will have to get used to it😄 So ok, think that's the straightening sorted though will probably need more practice, and also the lens distortion bit.  I will just have to make sure I take straighter images ha ha.  Anything else I have forgotten please let me know.....

Again thanks for the help it's very much appreciated !

Carol

4 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Ah thanks so much everyone, I thought I was going mad!  That is so helpful as my next question was going to be the lens profile one.  I liked it as it was before it was so straightforward but I guess will have to get used to it😄 So ok, think that's the straightening sorted though will probably need more practice, and also the lens distortion bit.  I will just have to make sure I take straighter images ha ha.  Anything else I have forgotten please let me know.....

Again thanks for the help it's very much appreciated !

Carol

If you set up import defaults for CA and the Lens Profiles under what they are now calling the Optics section, then you should not have to use those options very often unless you have lenses for which there are no profiles which is very uncommon it seems. It is also becoming more common that the camera manufacturers are forcing Adobe to use profiles that are built-in (Nikon Z series lenses for example) but these profiles seem to be really excellent for correcting distortion so there is probably no reason not to use them.  

Edited by MDM

8 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Thank you again everyone, I've just had another practice and managed ok, the Geometry info also useful.

Edo I hope you are feeling better today.

Carol

All my CC problems have gone away. 

I have hay fever all year round, but it's at its worst in England in June and July when the grass and tree pollen are high. And of course it makes me look like a virus carrier. Twas a lovely summer day today with lots of people outside. Unfortunately, there were very few people with masks. 

Edo

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

All my CC problems have gone away. 

I have hay fever all year round, but it's at its worst in England in June and July when the grass and tree pollen are high. And of course it makes me look like a virus carrier. Twas a lovely summer day today with lots of people outside. Unfortunately, there were very few people with masks. 

Edo

Mask-fatigue is setting in here as well. I was in a big supermarket yesterday, and I was about the only person, apart form store-workers, who was wearing a mask. It would have been a different scene not long ago. I actually felt a bit like a freak (or masked bandido). It's a very disturbing trend...

Just back from running some errands and I am happy to see that nearly everyone is still wearing a mask here and respecting social distancing.  Most stores have signs saying, "No Mask No Entry" .    New cases of the virus have dropped dramatically here and I think people have recognized that it is probably due to doing these simple things.  I am happy to live in an community where people respect one another (for the most part).  

Edo, Glad that all your CC issues went away after updating....sorry about the hay fever!  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Just back from running some errands and I am happy to see that nearly everyone is still wearing a mask here and respecting social distancing.  Most stores have signs saying, "No Mask No Entry" .    New cases of the virus have dropped dramatically here and I think people have recognized that it is probably due to doing these simple things.  I am happy to live in an community where people respect one another (for the most part).  

Edo, Glad that all your CC issues went away after updating....sorry about the hay fever!  

People are adhering to social-distancing here. However, as mentioned, mask-wearing is on the decline. I fear that we're living in a bit of a fool's paradise in BC as the virus seems well under control Things can turn on the dime, though. Given the worrying situation in a lot of US states, it sounds as if your community is doing the sensible (and respectful) thing.

Edited by John Mitchell

On 22/06/2020 at 20:22, geogphotos said:

In reply to Carol I'm also a little frustrated to find that ACR tools have been moved from the front page and that it will involve a couple of extra clicks per image. Used to be just there above the picture, now tucked away in Geometry.  

Earlier today I read about the changes to the latest ACR, even then it seemed strange when I finally updated earlier tonight. Why couldn't Adobe have left it as it was. Good job I wasn't busy tonight.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

People are adhering to social-distancing here. However, as mentioned, mask-wearing is on the decline. I fear that we're living in a bit of a fool's paradise in BC as the virus seems well under control Things can turn on the dime, though. Given the worrying situation in a lot of US states, it sounds as if your community is doing the sensible (and respectful) thing.

Didn't mean to put down your community in any way.  I can imagine it being tough to wear masks when you didn’t much of an outbreak there to start with.  But like you said, things can tum on a dime.

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Earlier today I read about the changes to the latest ACR, even then it seemed strange when I finally updated earlier tonight. Why couldn't Adobe have left it as it was. Good job I wasn't busy tonight.

If you had been busy tonight, then I expect you wouldn't have updated. I guess Adobe are trying to create a degree of uniformity between ACR and Lightroom which has been happening for some time now and is ultimately a sensible approach in my opinion. The Lightroom Develop Module layout is, I think, more logical than ACR which has been keeping up with Lightroom changes for years now but looks like something that has had bits tacked on to it here and there rather than having a really logical layout.

I used to use ACR until 2012 when I made the change to Lightroom. Because of that I find I can still go into ACR and use it if I want to but very rarely do so. Once you get used to the new layout it should become second nature. 

In any case, it is very easy to go back to previous versions if you really don't like it. In the Creative Cloud app, click the button with the three dots beside the Open button for Photoshop. Under there you should find options to uninstall the latest version and reinstall earlier ones. 

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I’m disheartened that very few here are wearing masks. My daughter and I were at the supermarket today and I think we were the only ones masked except the help. Same thing at Old Navy.

Ed, I have allergies...hay fever/asthma, and if I cough while out and about, even masked, I feel like Typhoid Mary and expect a shoe to the side of my head. I didn’t cough today.
Betty

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Didn't mean to put down your community in any way.  I can imagine it being tough to wear masks when you didn’t much of an outbreak there to start with.  But like you said, things can tum on a dime.

No problem. I didn't take it that way. BC has gotten off easily compared to lot of other places. Most of the clusters have been in nursing homes. However, there is still some community spread. Also, our provincial government has handled the situation well. Who knows what will happen, though, when air travel picks up, and the US/Canada border reopens to non-essential travel. At 71, I'm keeping my mask handy, that's for sure.

Edited by John Mitchell

Has this changed? When I have finished in ACR I find that I half-mindedly select Done because I have done. The image vanishes.

I need to select Open when I have done. Otherwise all is okay the tool I most use in geometry stays there at the right side instead of being at the top where it was before. I don't actually do very much in ACR mainly straighten the edges on shots of film where the slide wasn't completely square to the camera.

Still don't use Lightroom as have found no need.

Edited by geogphotos

I still wish Adobe would allow just LR at 50% monthly cost for all.

Allan

Sorry off topic.

Edited by Allan Bell

Ok, so I've just clicked done and the image disappeared off screen also but from memory I think I always clicked on Open anyway.  I guess this is Adobe's new normal !  I preferred the old normal  but that applies to so many things these days.  I will just need to go the righthand side instead of the top😄

I don't use Lightroom, never have as I never got on with it when I tried it some years ago so I don't even have it on my computer now.  Horses for courses as they say 😉

Carol

5 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Ok, so I've just clicked done and the image disappeared off screen also but from memory I think I always clicked on Open anyway.  I guess this is Adobe's new normal !  I preferred the old normal  but that applies to so many things these days.  I will just need to go the righthand side instead of the top😄

I don't use Lightroom, never have as I never got on with it when I tried it some years ago so I don't even have it on my computer now.  Horses for courses as they say 😉

Carol

Same with me. I just didn't take to it and find that I have all I need in Photoshop.

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

. . .  and expect a shoe to the side of my head. 
Betty

That would be a crescent kick. I used to be able to do those. If I tried one now, it might get up around the ankle. 

Edo

15 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Feel so much better reading that I'm not the only one re: Lightroom 😁

Carol

Me too..... the amount of nagging I have had from well-intentioned people trying to get me to switch!!

I just don't 'get' Lightroom.

51 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Carol

That Done button Is not new at all and  has.been in ACR in one form or other since the dawn of time (well since the dawn of ACR). The idea is that if you don’t want to open an image in Photoshop but just process the raw image anyway then you can do so. This probably would make more sense in a Lightroom context where this is a normal workflow - you  can develop the image and export it later as a JPEG or whatever without opening in Photoshop. 

Fear of the unknown is not unusual but Lightroom is well worth another look. It is not difficult to master and it has some huge benefits over an ACR workflow. 

Edited by MDM

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

I still wish Adobe would allow just LR at 50% monthly cost for all.

Allan

Sorry off topic.

Wishing is unlikely to change anything. You could instead maybe try to make the extra £5 a month by selling more pictures on Alamy - it could be in inspiring in fact. On the other hand that could be a lot of work - at the rate of my last sale I would only need to sell three images to make that extra £5.

1 minute ago, MDM said:

Yes will try to do so later tonight. 

Thanks Michael. I'm still waiting to be sold on Lightroom. I've got the CC subscription but never use Lightroom. I don't feel I'm missing anything but if someone convinces me, I might give it a go. My workflow is I do basic edit in ACR, refine the edit in PS and keyword in Bridge.