Hi there,

Personally, I think that if you look at the keywords in many of their photographs, it give me the impression that there is so many that are wrong that eventually this is a collection that is going to sink to the bottom of the search pages after while.

I could be wrong, and it would not be the first time.

They seem to be using Getty style Controlled Vocabulary so not sure how that will work on Alamy without being embedded in the Getty infrastructure ( there are hidden parts to how keywording works on Getty).

I like the passion and community feel to their website, and their decent fees..

It seems like a taste of the future to me - youthful, engaging, active.

I wish that Alamy would show some more of that, by comparison it seems stale 'pile em high' to my jaded eye.

Edited by geogphotos

They are an Alamy partner so I guess ok to discuss here. In my experience with them they were good to start with, good prices. But, their search engine is shocking, lots of appropriate images do not come up in searches, they put their own keywords in which again are very bad. Even if you have taken the time to put the latin name of a plant in with the common name it is then often mis tagged, as something completely different. The prices now are more often than not in the single cent bracket. I will be closing my account with them shortly. This is obviously just my opinion.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, george said:

They are an Alamy partner so I guess ok to discuss here. In my experience with them they were good to start with, good prices. But, their search engine is shocking, lots of appropriate images do not come up in searches, they put their own keywords in which again are very bad. Even if you have taken the time to put the latin name of a plant in with the common name it is then often mis tagged, as something completely different. The prices now are more often than not in the single cent bracket. I will be closing my account with them shortly. This is obviously just my opinion.

The trouble is that these sort of sites start off being all about community and having fun with and celebrating photography and when they move to try and monetise that through stock agencies ( because direct sales are disappointing/non-existent) they discover the hard way that their approach isn't properly geared to stock.

I also noticed animals and plants without any proper identification so seems very 'micro-stock Creative' style in that way  ie) green bug on big leaf

1 hour ago, george said:

That's essentially in-line with my experience of them too. I used to push images to them that I was not 100% sure would pass Alamy QC. Nowadays I upload very little to them.. just the occasional iPhone picture.

I remember an announcement a couple of years ago that Alamy would be taking EyeEm images but it only just seems to have happened. A number of my EyeEm images do now seem to have made it onto Alamy.. fortunately I haven't found any duplicates as a result (yet) but very few of my Alamy images are with EyeEm.

In my experience EyEem don't change your keywords but when submitting images keywords are suggested it's up to the individual to decide whether the keywords are appropriate or not.

When an image is selected for their partner site then the key wording is changed and it's that part that is out of the control of the photographer.

Unfortunately royalties have taken a massive dive this last year and I no longer prioritise this library for my work.

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

Just taken a look at their collection of shots of a local landmark, not impressed, actually some are dreadful, nothing to fear on that score!

One can upload anything on Eyeem, they have no limitations. They don't however accept everything to be sold on Eyeem Market and out of those accepted only small fraction will get selected to the Partner Collection (Getty, Alamy, etc.). So generally most of the images are very bad, but they will stay in Eyeem. In that sense it's more like a social media to share pictures - that's how it started anyway.

5 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Nowadays I upload very little to them.. just the occasional iPhone picture.

So has Alamy checked to make sure EyeEm iphone images are not being added to their main  library, I wonder.

1 hour ago, AlexG said:

Thanks, but where did the original quote "3.8 million brand new EyeEm images now available on Alamy" come from?

EyeEm doesn't appear to be listed as a category on Alamy's homepage.

Sorry if I'm being dense. I just wondered who was publisizing this addition to Alamy's portfolio.

Update - OK ignore that, I found a reference to it. Alamy posted it (Emailed or Tweeted or whatever). Alamy must be pleased then. Not sure who put the Lightbox together, some nice images but captioning and keywording isn't so good.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

9 hours ago, george said:

Having a shockingly bad search engine is the downfall of most of these sites. I don't know how anyone finds anything, and they just keep piling on more images making things even worse.

• Like 1

This image could have imperfections as it’s either historical or reportage.

They are not historical or reportage but the rest is true.

Just viewed a cityscape of New York captioned:  'Sea By Cityscape Against Sky'.

Seriously, what is the point? Really, what is the point?

Edited by geogphotos

29 minutes ago, David Pimborough said:

What were Alamy thinking?  I had a quick look at a selection of images which look nice but the keywords are terrible

they'll never be found.

Yes, I have a big problem with what EyeEm do with keywords. As I think someone else has already mentioned in this thread, when EyeEm push your images to other agencies, they seem to totally ignore your keywords and impose their own. And given as EyeEm's own search engine is so bad, half of the time when I do upload to EyeEm I just accept whatever random keywords they auto suggest. And the downside to this is from Alamy's perspective is that Alamy are getting dumped with a load of badly keyworded images.

48 minutes ago, David Pimborough said:

What were Alamy thinking?  I had a quick look at a selection of images which look nice but the keywords are terrible

they'll never be found.

Not to mention as noisy as hell and a lot show banding

4.2 million bits of fluff to contaminate the search.

Without wishing to denigrate the photographer as its a nice panorama; this is my favourite

Panoramic View Of Houses On Field Against Sky

Errr its Stone Henge!!!

Panoramic View Of Houses On Field Against Sky Stock Photo

I thought it was the NYC skyline. 😛

Seriously, that's a pathetic job of captioning/keywording. The image looks to be sell-able, though, which makes things even worse.

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

Somebody with a sense of humour. 

I recking it's auto generated by a computer with no sense of humour at all... they are very proud of their image recognition software.

If you dig around their website states under the "Our Technology" bit it states about keywording and captions the following..

"Every photo is automatically tagged and captioned with concrete objects and keywords to make your entire library searchable. EyeEm Vision supports the most widely spoken languages."