Deleting Images?

What is the best way to delete an Alamy image? 

I've been reediting some images lately and resubmitting them. I delete all the tags and the caption on the old image and then click Delete on the Option page. This should mean the image won't come up in a buyer's search. Fine. But I continue to see these deleted images in my port when I click on the blue number. 

I'm wondering if any of you can see two pictures of a bowl of leek soup on my Page One? 

Thanks, Edo

Alamy deprecate the removal of tags in case someone has the image on their lightbox, and it's actually a breach of contract. I was ticked off for recommending it a while ago.

If you need a duplicate image removed, member services will do it- just send them the pairs of image references.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Alamy deprecate the removal of tags in case someone has the image on their lightbox, and it's actually a breach of contract. I was ticked off for recommending it a while ago.

I didn't know that! Alamy should really conjure up a comprehensive manual for contributors, available via one click. At present, to find out everything we need to know, we have to search the site, dig up old forum posts and go on Twitter...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

I didn't know that! Alamy should really conjure up a comprehensive manual for contributors, available via one click. At present, to find out everything we need to know, we have to search the site, dig up old forum posts and go on Twitter...

Yes, Alamy say it makes the collection "unstable", which is a fair comment, I suppose. MS will delete images if there's a good reason- duplicate or reprocessing I can think of,  and I've had it done; a potential legal issue maybe. Ed's look like reprocessing.

Thanks, people.

I know about the six-months thing. I try not to bother Alamy with small matters. I see now that I either have to do that or just leave up both versions. I'm leaning towards the later. If a buyer prefers a dull looking bowl of soup, so be it. On a deletion yesterday, the system would not let me delete all the tags; I had to leave one up. Anyway, I'm just being persnickety. Another thing I'm trying to make myself do, is less detailed PP. 

Edo

35 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, people.

I know about the six-months thing. I try not to bother Alamy with small matters. I see now that I either have to do that or just leave up both versions. I'm leaning towards the later. If a buyer prefers a dull looking bowl of soup, so be it. On a deletion yesterday, the system would not let me delete all the tags; I had to leave one up. Anyway, I'm just being persnickety. Another thing I'm trying to make myself do, is less detailed PP. 

Edo

Edo if you are re-editing images to make the more attractive to the buyers don't bother to delete the old images as they sometimes still sell. Depends on what the buyer wants.

I have some like that and just add a reference to the other image/s.

Allan

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

The other thing I do when I have 'deleted'  images waiting for removal is to move the hto an 'awaiting deletion.' pseudonym.

But if there are not a huge number of reedits I would ask memberservices to swap them as previously suggested so that there are not duplicates in your portfolio.

Edited by Martin P Wilson

Like Ed, I'm also not keen on bothering Alamy with minor matters, so when I re-edit an image, I upload it while the original is live, then change the title of the original to 'Awaiting deletion, see image ID (ref no) for replacement', then save changes and delete the original. If a potential buyer should see the 'awaiting deletion' image during the 6 month wait for deletion by Alamy, they will at least know the replacement image ID should they wish to see it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil Preston said:

Like Ed, I'm also not keen on bothering Alamy with minor matters, so when I re-edit an image, I upload it while the original is live, then change the title of the original to 'Awaiting deletion, see image ID (ref no) for replacement', then save changes and delete the original. If a potential buyer should see the 'awaiting deletion' image during the 6 month wait for deletion by Alamy, they will at least know the replacement image ID should they wish to see it.

As I explained above, that's also a breach of contract because the image is not accurately annotated.

Edo,

Hello my friend and hope you are well.

I've only ever deleted two images from Alamy and on one

it went well and the other did not.  Both times  I worked with

MS, via email.

Maritn's idea is good and I may use his idea in the future.

Best,

Chuck

Not sure what the fuss is about, I've always just asked member services to delete a near duplicate image, while those I suspect are no hopers go into the awaiting deletion pseudo. 

Useful to learn that keywords should not be deleted/changed however. I wonder how far this ruling extends as I occasionally refine some of my keywords in the light of experience. Indeed my keywording is often a two stage process, an initial quick run through after first approval, followed by a more considered appraisal later.

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

Not sure what the fuss is about, I've always just asked member services to delete a near duplicate image, while those I suspect are no hopers go into the awaiting deletion pseudo. 

Useful to learn that keywords should not be deleted/changed however. I wonder how far this ruling extends as I occasionally refine some of my keywords in the light of experience. Indeed my keywording is often a two stage process, an initial quick run through after first approval, followed by a more considered appraisal later.

No fuss, Bryan? Really? You just gave 4 reasons for fuss.

Surely you're not thinking that adding or changing tags is forbidden by Alamy for images that remain on sale? You just said that you reedit in two stages. I make caption and tag changes all the time. Just correcting my faulty spelling is a full time job.

On 18/10/2019 at 10:56, spacecadet said:

If you need a duplicate image removed, member services will do it- just send them the pairs of image references.

This has been interesting to read. I can't find anything in the contract about changing / deleting captions and tags once images are on sale. I do it rather a lot. Can anyone point me to the relevant info?

I do believe that we were once advised by Alamy to delete keywords for an image which was being removed so it would not be seen by prospective buyers.😕

Allan

17 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

This has been interesting to read. I can't find anything in the contract about changing / deleting captions and tags once images are on sale. I do it rather a lot. Can anyone point me to the relevant info?

Alamy said this themselves- if you don't want to take my word for it you could ask MS yourself. Removing captions and keywords is a breach of contract because it makes the collection unstable- what if someone has an image in mind and then can't find it because you've removed the tags?

I take it to be covered by s4.10 of the contract

You will ensure that all Metadata including without limitation captions, keywording, descriptions and Pseudonyms, rights management or other information pertaining to the Images is and will remain accurate and factually correct

Metadata are hardly "accurate and factually correct" if they're absent.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I do believe that we were once advised by Alamy to delete keywords for an image which was being removed so it would not be seen by prospective buyers.😕

Allan

If that did happen, and I don't recall it, then it's contradictory.

23 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Alamy said this themselves- if you don't want to take my word for it you could ask MS yourself. Removing captions and keywords is a breach of contract because it makes the collection unstable- what if someone has an image in mind and then can't find it because you've removed the tags?

I take it to be covered by s4.10 of the contract

You will ensure that all Metadata including without limitation captions, keywording, descriptions and Pseudonyms, rights management or other information pertaining to the Images is and will remain accurate and factually correct

Metadata are hardly "accurate and factually correct" if they're absent.

Yes,  that does make sense. Thanks. I think adding "better updated version available, see 2HK4NSV " as mentioned above is the best plan. 

• Love 1

On 18/10/2019 at 13:05, Allan Bell said:

Edo if you are re-editing images to make the more attractive to the buyers don't bother to delete the old images as they sometimes still sell. Depends on what the buyer wants.

I have some like that and just add a reference to the other image/s.

Allan

After a few culls of not so good images, I have managed to sell one image so far which I already marked for deletion on Alamy Image Manager (and actually no longer exists!). I still say it was a bit naff, but hey, you never know what will sell....

Edited by Steve F

The only image I can recollected deleting had by mistake not been deleted from my upload folder. It was identical to another later edited that was one from a short burst in which the people had better facial expressions. Both images were uploaded in a batch. Within a few minutes of uploading I saw my mistake and deleted the poorer image. It had gone on sale, but until the next database update wasn't visible to potential clients. All useful information in this thread, especially if I later consider culling some older and less likely to sell images.

On 26/10/2019 at 10:59, Phil Robinson said:

I most definitely remember reading in the forum about removing keywords and putting something nonsensical in the caption. I read this more than once over time. 
I would assume that since these suggestions came from the old Alamy guard, there must not have been anything against it. None of those old threads were challenged by Alamy.

Possibly Alamy took a stance later on. I still removed keywords the last time I ever deleted anything, because I never knew anything had changed.
Betty

edit...The advice was to strip metadata, wait 24 hours for the update, then delete.

Edited by Betty LaRue

• 4 weeks later...