Deleting Images?

• 2 months later...

Older thread but relevant, so I'll keep it here.

I'm in the process of deleting files which are highly unlikely ever to sell here, based on the previous year's AoA searches, now that I know that "This tool allows you to see all searches from customers who have spent money on Alamy within a specified date range. "  (I used to think it was only 'a selection' of searches)

I kinda thought, and it would be more sensible IMO, that deleted files would be deleted from search immediately, but remain on sale to any who had lightboxed them for a further six months.

If the files stay up until 180 days and are then deleted, how is that "stable" for buyers who see the image on Day 2, Day 98 or Day 179? That's no more 'stable' than an instant deletion.

13 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Older thread but relevant, so I'll keep it here.

I'm in the process of deleting files which are highly unlikely ever to sell here, based on the previous year's AoA searches, now that I know that "This tool allows you to see all searches from customers who have spent money on Alamy within a specified date range. "  (I used to think it was only 'a selection' of searches)

I kinda thought, and it would be more sensible IMO, that deleted files would be deleted from search immediately, but remain on sale to any who had lightboxed them for a further six months.

If the files stay up until 180 days and are then deleted, how is that "stable" for buyers who see the image on Day 2, Day 98 or Day 179? That's no more 'stable' than an instant deletion.

In fact images marked for deletion do disappear from search before the full six months has elapsed. I tested it once and it was about three months IIRC.

I have one scheduled for June 2nd. and it's still up- I'll try to keep an eye on it but I suspect it will disappear around the beginning of March.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

In fact images marked for deletion do disappear from search before the full six months has elapsed. I tested it once and it was about three months IIRC.

I have one scheduled for June 2nd. and it's still up- I'll try to keep an eye on it but I suspect it will disappear around the beginning of March.

Thanks for that. I only started on Friday, a bit at a time, but I'll keep an eye out too.

On 27/10/2019 at 10:50, spacecadet said:

Alamy said this themselves- if you don't want to take my word for it you could ask MS yourself. Removing captions and keywords is a breach of contract because it makes the collection unstable- what if someone has an image in mind and then can't find it because you've removed the tags?

I take it to be covered by s4.10 of the contract

You will ensure that all Metadata including without limitation captions, keywording, descriptions and Pseudonyms, rights management or other information pertaining to the Images is and will remain accurate and factually correct

Metadata are hardly "accurate and factually correct" if they're absent.

Yes, indeed. I have abolished the faulty way of deleting all keywords except rubbish a long time ago. I totally agree with Mark's understanding above.

If you have made an improvement of an image already on Alamy - and uploaded the improved image, you can ask Alamy contributor services to delete the old one. Often they will do so immediately. You will need to explain why and inform about both image ids. 

If this is not the case you will have to wait the 3 - 6 months before the image can be deleted. As far as I understand - it won't be searchable after 3 months - and totally deleted from the system after 6. Probably for customers who have shown interest in the image id.

- and Dunstun356, you will find the e-mail address in the top right corner of your dashboard.

Edited by Niels Quist