The Full Breakfast

This is sort of a photo question, subject-wise, anyway.

I know a place on Third Avenue, an Irish bar, of course, that does a good full Irish, and I'm sure there are several others here in NYC. Unfortunately this bar is so dark I can barely make out what's on the plate, let alone snap photos. 

In Dublin, I had this heart attack on a plate every morning, including the flight day back to New York, where the breakfast was served at the airport. A nice touch, I thought. When I lived in Oxfordshire, I sometimes had the full English, but for my lunch. 

Black pudding is an acquired taste, perhaps part of my Irish DNA, 'cause I like it, the dark, smoky taste. White pudding is a total mystery to me, tasteless with a somewhat unpleasant texture—don't like it at all. Eggs, bangers, back bacon, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, toast, beans and stuff I ate every bite, and it didn't spoil my appetite for a large pub lunch . . . and dinner.  :)

I'm wondering how the full breakfast varies in your part of the world? (I eat oatmeal and blueberries every morning now.) D5EE1A

AM674Y.jpg
(photo not mine - click to see the full fat version)

When I first came to Germany, my company put me up in a guesthouse for a few weeks while I was sorting out my new apartment. The first morning I came down to breakfast at the guesthouse, there was a bunch of farmers each diving into a Schweinehaxe (shoulder of pork) and a beer. I ordered the muesli and an orange juice.

AM674Y.jpg

(photo not mine - click to see the full fat version)

When I first came to Germany, my company put me up in a guesthouse for a few weeks while I was sorting out my new apartment. The first morning I came down to breakfast at the guesthouse, there was a bunch of farmers each diving into a Schweinehaxe (shoulder of pork) and a beer. I ordered the muesli and an orange juice.

No longer compulsory. When we're camping we sometimes have a plate of pfifferlinge lightly sauteed in olive oil. Lovely.

I used to live in sunny Croydon, and a greasy spoon down there called Fat Boys, used to do a Breakfast called the Gutbuster!

You got it free if you finished it, think it was 10 quid, the waitress (fag in mouth) used to say

"You do know how big that is!" when you order it, never a good sign, when they try and talk you out of it!

Never did finish one, normally managed the beans, 3 eggs, 5 rashers, 4 sausages, black pudding, mushrooms, tomatoes, hash browns 

it was the 4 rounds of toast and the mountain of chips that finished you off!

Nice one, Red guy!  (I should have mentioned the two mugs [not cups] of black espresso with sugar I have each morning.)

image made on my honeymoon in Cork.....i think the licences i've sold from that week have more than paid for the holiday..

and that was my last foreign travel...

km

That place is four hundred a night. How did you say sales were going?

Fortunately Alamy isn't my main source of photography income ;)

Have done quiet a few weddings there and got an opportunity to spend a night on a preferred tariff :D

One rare day, in Fishguard, I could see Cork across the Irish Sea.  (Well, they told me it was Cork.)

I think they must have been giving you the full Welsh Ed. I'm all for long distance views but I would bet that is impossible. Wexford or Wicklow maybe.

I think it needs mountains to see long distances - something to do with the curvature of the Earth I guess. That is why it's possible to see Snowdonia from Dublin and I hear it's also possible to see Wicklow form west Wales. The Cork mountains are way in the west so you'd probably have a better chance of seeing them from New York than Wales.

I'm with Bryan on the veggie fry-up breakfasts. I love a fry (probably something to do with my upbringing - my mother used to do the heart attack breakfast on Saturdays when I was a kid). But nowadays mine is in olive oil with quorn sausages and rashers, egg, onions, tomatoes, garlic bread  and so on.

Another for the veggie fry-up (though I'm the only veggie in the family)!

Made a full breakfast for the family as a late morning brunch today: Veggie sausages (have to be Linda McCartney brand), veggie bacon, pig (unsmoked back) bacon for the carnivores, fried eggs, tomatoes (microwaved - you gotta try 'em!), fried mushrooms, baked beans, toast, juice, and lots of tea.  Still full now!

Can't believe I didn't take a picture!

I

Made a full breakfast for the family as a late morning brunch today: Veggie sausages (have to be Linda McCartney brand), veggie bacon, pig (unsmoked back) bacon for the carnivores, fried eggs, tomatoes (microwaved - you gotta try 'em!), fried mushrooms, baked beans, toast, juice, and lots of tea.  Still full now!

I lean in the veggie direction myself. I've done a lot of travelling in Central America, and one of my favourite traditional "full breakfasts" is the one that they serve in Honduras (which is ironically, a very meaty country). It usually consists of scrambled eggs, black beans, sour cream, hard local cheese, avocado (sometimes), sweet fried plantains, and tortillas. Hot sauce on the side of course. I also can't believe that I don't have a picture of it in my files. That's what being in a greedy rush does to you, I guess.

I

I lean in the veggie direction myself. I've done a lot of travelling in Central America, and one of my favourite traditional "full breakfasts" is the one that they serve in Honduras (which is ironically, a very meaty country). It usually consists of scrambled eggs, black beans, sour cream, hard local cheese, avocado (sometimes), sweet fried plantains, and tortillas. Hot sauce on the side of course. I also can't believe that I don't have a picture of it in my files. That's what being in a greedy rush does to you, I guess.

Are you my long-lost primo?  My wife is from Honduras and we often have a desayuno tipico!

Archived