Walking around Camera RX100 II

elacoste

Question

I've been looking through the forums for an idea on which walking around camera to buy. Want to buy something that will definitely have the needs to pass QC here and on Getty. Alamy use to have an approved camera list, but as technology improved, the list seems obsolete.

RX100 II (Not sure of it's sony or lung( seems to keep coming up in the forums as a good camera for the task. What are you using? Or, what do you recommend? I'll order via Amazon in the U.S., but if you know a better deal, share the link. 

I might consider used too. 

Emmanuel

21 answers to this question

I got the RX100 VA recently (updated version of the V) as a carry anywhere camera and it is amazing. Tiny camera but incredible image quality for the size. See RX100 comparison for an article comparing the different editions which might help you to choose what you need. The article refers to the V but this is no longer available and the VA is a significant upgrade according to other reviewers. This comparison is also very useful.

• Love 1

The RX100 2 is my constant companion and always seems to pass QC. Only problem is lack of a viewfinder in bright light. Later models don't have the focal range but do have a viewfinder. Hope this helps.

1 minute ago, Joe Gaul said:

The RX100 2 is my constant companion and always seems to pass QC. Only problem is lack of a viewfinder in bright light. Later models don't have the focal range but do have a viewfinder. Hope this helps.

You can use a daylight setting for the screen to see better in bright light.

Jill

Another vote for incredible Rx100.  I have Mk I & am constantly amazed by quality from such small sensor.  This is image I took just yesterday:

attachment.php?attachmentid=267204&thumb

Just look at amount of detail when zoomed at 100%

attachment.php?attachmentid=267206

I did not even know these bugs were there when I took the pic!!!   In-camera pano stitching, small and practical, and in camera HDR is better than what full-frame Canon 6D does IMHO

• Love 1
  • Like 1

On 09/06/2019 at 12:15, MDM said:

See RX100 comparison for an article comparing the different editions which might help you to choose what you need.

Thank you very much for this link;  it was very interesting to compare the differences. IMHO  Mk I  is still best bang for your buck.  Yes Mk VI has better (more capable) lens, but it is not F1.8 anymore (and it costs >3x more). Yes there are other 'improvements' but still.

• Love 1

26 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

Another vote for incredible Rx100.  I have Mk I & am constantly amazed by quality from such small sensor.  This is image I took just yesterday:

attachment.php?attachmentid=267204&thumb

Just look at amount of detail when zoomed at 100%

attachment.php?attachmentid=267206

I did not even know these bugs were there when I took the pic!!!   In-camera pano stitching, small and practical, and in camera HDR is better than what full-frame Canon 6D does IMHO

On a side note, i've hardly ever got the pano to work - any tips?

John.

2 minutes ago, Stokie said:

John.

What can't you make work John?  Turn wheel to "Sweep shooting",   optionally select Menu (pano size,  direction -- left,right,up,down).   Don't move too fast and try to keep level.  If there is large difference between left and right side in terms of exposure I'd typically expose for somewhere in the middle (press and hold shutter halfway)  then shoot --- usually can correct rest in post-processing.    Just play with it.   

T8M666.jpg

RWRGFB.jpg

T1X85G.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 2

But have never caught my second camera, the RX100-3- in walking around 😋

PS I don't find the JPG quality good enough, which excludes panos in camera - I always shoot in RAW.

Edited by Niels Quist

On 10/06/2019 at 19:53, Stokie said:

John.

Pano mode on my RX100 MkIII never works well enough for me either. Close inspection almost always reveals vertical stitching "ripples" that risk failing Alamy QC (IMHO). I've tried everything. Using a tripod, rotating about lens nodal point, simple sweep (as described in manual). I've now given up using  pano mode other than to get a quick "preview" of a stitched pano might look like (composition wise). If the composition looks interesting I'll then shoot a sequence of stills for stitching in PS or LR later, which gives a significantly better result with no risk of QC fail.

Mark 

6 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Close inspection almost always reveals vertical stitching "ripples"

Interesting.  I've never seen these stitching "ripples" on Mk I (100% zoom of course).  It is hard to believe certain  feature i.e. panos would degrade in subsequent product releases

Just reinforces my opinion that Mk 1 is best bang for your buck :)

On 10/06/2019 at 20:04, Autumn Sky said:

What can't you make work John?  Turn wheel to "Sweep shooting",   optionally select Menu (pano size,  direction -- left,right,up,down).   Don't move too fast and try to keep level.  If there is large difference between left and right side in terms of exposure I'd typically expose for somewhere in the middle (press and hold shutter halfway)  then shoot --- usually can correct rest in post-processing.    Just play with it.   

T8M666.jpg

RWRGFB.jpg

T1X85G.jpg

I'v tried going fast going slow and everything in between, and it rarely, if ever works for me.

14 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Pano mode on my RX100 MkIII never works well enough for me either. Close inspection almost always reveals vertical stitching "ripples" that risk failing Alamy QC (IMHO). I've tried everything. Using a tripod, rotating about lens nodal point, simple sweep (as described in manual). I've now given up using  pano mode other than to get a quick "preview" of a stitched pano might look like (composition wise). If the composition looks interesting I'll then shoot a sequence of stills for stitching in PS or LR later, which gives a significantly better result with no risk of QC fail.

Mark 

Yes, i've had those marks on the few panos i've managed to do.

John.

23 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I use the EVF for everything except tabletop food, so I would not be happy with the 100/1 or 100/2. 

Agree with Edo I prefer the EVF on my R100mk3. That is the main reason I went for that one after owning the mk1 for some time, which incidentally I still use occasionally because of the longer reach of the lens.

Allan

46 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Agree with Edo I prefer the EVF on my R100mk3. That is the main reason I went for that one after owning the mk1 for some time, which incidentally I still use occasionally because of the longer reach of the lens.

Allan

- and the decent video opportunity - though not 4k but HD.