BIG Sale....refunded after 3 weeks...

Has anyone had much experience with "Refunds" and Returns...

I had a huge sale.....I was thrilled....but ....3 weeks later it was returned/refunded....

Does anybody have any stories about why this happens..??? 

Usually, not such a big deal...but this was such a big sale......I'm so disappointed...

Also, the sale was for massive usage, including billboard, tv, display, ads, etc.,etc

It makes me wonder, who the buyer was?.... I'm a little suspicious ....

8 hours ago, fotogoat said:

I had a huge sale.....I was thrilled....but ....3 weeks later it was returned/refunded....

Usually, not such a big deal...but this was such a big sale......I'm so disappointed...

Also, the sale was for massive usage, including billboard, tv, display, ads, etc.,etc

Yes, not a good experience, unfortunately, the bigger the sale the larger the risk of a refund. I have tried it - but often the image is resold at a lower price the same day or a little later. 

If you suspect the image might have  been used after all, and you want people here to look around while in town - you could publish the image-id if not the image in the forum.

I take it that you did not sell the image from any micro stock site - if so, the chance that the buyer found a cheaper solution is obvious.

Niels

Your post/question looks only 9 hours ago. In the sale/refund/sale again possibilities, this is still early days in the way these things happen on Alamy. Especially as we have the the added Christmas low manning levels for another week. Don't despair, at least not yet! The re-sale after refund usually happens quite quickly but the sales team may still be off finishing up their turkey left=overs

A month or two ago I had my biggest sale for a number of years. Unfortunately it lasted 9 days before the refund appeared. A short while after a similar shot sold for around a tenth of the first. I don't know if there was any connection or not but it's annoying as well as disappointing. I wish this wouldn't happen.

Jim ;)

5 hours ago, Niels Quist said:

Yes, not a good experience, unfortunately, the bigger the sale the larger the risk of a refund. I have tried it - but often the image is resold at a lower price the same day or a little later. 

If you suspect the image might have  been used after all, and you want people here to look around while in town - you could publish the image-id if not the image in the forum.

I take it that you did not sell the image from any micro stock site - if so, the chance that the buyer found a cheaper solution is obvious.

Niels

Yeah extremely annoying, last year I had my biggest licence for a couple of years, $144, in  December, refunded 5 days later, then sold again for $38.42 the same day as the refund, then the following month (January) again for a few cents more at $38.98! This one was credited a month later in Feb, all exactly the same sale conditions.

I've found this seems to happen with large sales, I've got no idea why? 

I feel your pain,i think many of us have experienced the high sale value being refunded and then resold at a lower price...One does wonder if in some cases the buyer is dishonest ,freaks out at the higher price for image use criteria...and then rebuys at a lower price but still goes and uses the higher value licence use...Very hard to keep track of this type of thing happening..

On 26/12/2018 at 23:59, fotogoat said:

Maybe the ad campaign was cancelled. It may eventually rebill at a different price, or with a different licence.

Alamy has a refund policy which we might call generous but may simply be pragmatic. At least A reports licences straight away, apparently with some agencies you'd never have seen the sale in the first place because it wouldn't be reported for months.

A few years ago I had a $800+ sale refunded 6 months after it was cleared and in my bank account. Because the exchange rate had changed in the meantime I paid back more than I had received. In fairness, Alamy did give me the difference but only after I complained.

Pearl

2 minutes ago, Pearl said:

A few years ago I had a $800+ sale refunded 6 months after it was cleared and in my bank account. Because the exchange rate had changed in the meantime I paid back more than I had received. In fairness, Alamy did give me the difference but only after I complained.

Pearl

Horrendous! Never thought that might happen. Something else to worry about......

1 hour ago, Pearl said:

Pearl

That's unbelievable. Alamy, not you, should have swallowed the loss at that point. Hope you complained. I would have been very upset.

18 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

That's unbelievable. Alamy, not you, should have swallowed the loss at that point. Hope you complained. I would have been very upset.

That's true, Alamy say they offer a 30 day refund period. After that, it's at their discretion.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes I agree. Any refunds after the 30 day period should be borne by Alamy I think

Pearl

3 hours ago, Pearl said:

Pearl

From  "Terms & Conditions" or "Buy images and footage";

10.Licence cancellation

If you haven't used the Image(s)/Footage file you can cancel the Licence and get a full refund within 30 days of the Invoice date. You'll need to send us an email sales@alamy.com, with the Invoice number (e.g. IY11110000) and the Image file number (e.g.AT4WHG). If you cancel, you won’t be able to use the Image file and you’ll need to remove it from your archives.

Also, the client can check the quality of the file before the invoice date;

We can also give you access to hi–res files with no commitment to buy, so that you can see how things look in layout before making your final decision.

I don't see how this refund was allowable;

If you do not wish to accept the terms of this Agreement, please delete the unused Image(s)/Footage and notify Alamy by email to the following address: sales@alamy.com within thirty days from the invoice date for a full refund.

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

Horrendous! Never thought that might happen. Something else to worry about......

Totally agree!!  You have celebrated your great sale...spent the money and then wham...( like in Pearl's case ) you have to pay it back after 6 months....ridiculous!

Archived