Free Cameracraft Magazine Link Reinstated

Steve Valentia

4 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Ernest Hemingway once said, "Hangovers make you brutally aware." 

I'm on my second (third..) Martini.....

I've been "Brutally Aware" for decades.......  Not always the best for

IPTC info, but great for photos. For the youth, I suggest writing your

IPTC infor on the first Martini, never the third........

I suggest you've had one over the 8 Chuck. I was trying to do something altruistic and your post seems out of place, at the very least.

1 hour ago, Steve Valentia said:

I suggest you've had one over the 8 Chuck. I was trying to do something altruistic and your post seems out of place, at the very least.

Can't see a problem. Something of a non-sequitur, maybe, but perfectly in place for Chuck.

16 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Can't see a problem. Something of a non-sequitur, maybe, but perfectly in place for Chuck.

Really? Well, we're obviously reading different threads. What exactly does being "brutally aware" have to do with a gesture of a free magazine?

Chuck's post had nothing to do with the OP, so that makes it off-topic to begin with, and many posts have been red lined or reported for being that. I also had Christmas in mind, so I even find the use of the word "brutally" here inappropriate.

You know what, next time I decide to do something nice, I'll do something sensible instead.

What is the forum coming to when apparently drunken, totally irrelevant and irrational rants get green arrows? Two people actually approve of this behaviour. Chuck must have some devoted followers for bla bla bla or the original post to receive approval.

Why anyone would object to or denigrate Stephen for posting a link to the excellent Cameracraft magazine is beyond me. The magazine is the work of David Kilpatrick together with Stephen and a few other top class photographer journalists. It is a fantastic magazine, certainly among the top photography magazines currently being published anywhere. For those who don't know him, David is an extremely knowledgeable former denizen of this forum,

David’s knowledge of photographic science, camera gear and just about every aspect of photography is probably unique, absolutely world class in fact. Members who have arrived since his departure may never have heard of him or the magazine. He is a legend around these parts and his presence here is greatly missed. Nobody else has filled the huge gap left by his absence, partly because that would be essentially impossible. Unique means unique. His opinions and advice would always draw on his vast knowledge and he was always really helpful. He is probably the only forum member that I would be very reluctant to argue with about anything technical as he was almost certainly correct in anything he said so argument would be pointless.  I never saw him give biased advice based on brand loyalty or dislike - his advice was invariably objective and most useful.

So for Stephen to nudge people in the direction of Cameracraft magazine is a massive favour to those who have never heard of or seen it and that includes the most experienced among us as well as the newbie photographers.  When vastly experienced photographers arrive at a point where they think they know everything, are living off their laurels and are no longer open to learning, they are in danger of stagnation and might do well to subscribe to the magazine in order to remain up to date with developments in the world of photography. The old adage "you are only as good as your last job" is very relevant in our world.

And Stephen himself writes some great articles :)

2 hours ago, MDM said:

...It is a fantastic magazine, certainly among the top photography magazines currently being published anywhere. For those who don't know him, David is an extremely knowledgeable former denizen of this forum...

Thanks for the comments Michael.  I was going to PM you with additional feedback, but that doesn't seem to be possible. But, generally, certain Cameracraft personnel are currently unable to reinstate their involvement with the forum. But we hope everyone enjoys the link.

2 hours ago, MDM said:

Why anyone would object to or denigrate Stephen for posting a link to the excellent Cameracraft magazine is beyond me.

No-one did.

When the two Ronnies did "answering the question before last" they got a laugh. I thought Chuck might have been doing that, or more likely the question that hadn't even been asked. Surely there's room on the forum for a martini.

1 hour ago, Steve Valentia said:

Thanks for the comments Michael.  I was going to PM you with additional feedback, but that doesn't seem to be possible. But, generally, certain Cameracraft personnel are currently unable to reinstate their involvement with the forum. But we hope everyone enjoys the link.

No problem Stephen. They are heartfelt and sincere comments as well. I have just emailed through the contact form on your website you as it was not too difficult to find you.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

No-one did.

When the two Ronnies did "answering the question before last" they got a laugh. I thought Chuck might have been doing that, or more likely the question that hadn't even been asked. Surely there's room on the forum for a martini.

I disagree Mark (in words not stupid arrows).  There is no room for mindless abuse on the forum in my opinion and it is rife at the moment as you yourself are clearly experiencing. Virtual martinis may be ok if that is what you like (I like a freshly ground Sumatran organic coffee myself) but if real martinis (or any other substances) are enabling people to release streams of abusive consciousness directed at other members (here for no apparent reason whatsover) then perhaps it is time for the perpetrators to question themselves and their use of said substances while sitting in front of a computer connected to the internet. This particular instance is not the first by any means but deletions and apologies are meaningless while the behaviour continues. This is the first time I have commented but I felt compelled to do so because I felt Stephen was being treated most unfairly here. 

As always I am happy to have a rational argument or debate with anybody but the ability to have a rational discussion is being undermined everywhere it seems. Mr Gumby and lunatics taking over asylums come to mind. 

Rational discussion is becoming rarer and rarer - the number of people who understand it is possible to strongly disagree with a person and remain good friends is dropping lower and lower.  The world is a poorer place for it.

2 hours ago, MDM said:

I disagree Mark (in words not stupid arrows).  There is no room for mindless abuse on the forum in my opinion and it is rife at the moment as you yourself are clearly experiencing. Virtual martinis may be ok if that is what you like (I like a freshly ground Sumatran organic coffee myself) but if real martinis (or any other substances) are enabling people to release streams of abusive consciousness directed at other members (here for no apparent reason whatsover) then perhaps it is time for the perpetrators to question themselves and their use of said substances while sitting in front of a computer connected to the internet. This particular instance is not the first by any means but deletions and apologies are meaningless while the behaviour continues. This is the first time I have commented but I felt compelled to do so because I felt Stephen was being treated most unfairly here. 

As always I am happy to have a rational argument or debate with anybody but the ability to have a rational discussion is being undermined everywhere it seems. Mr Gumby and lunatics taking over asylums come to mind. 

It's still quoted above- it doesn't seem in the slightest bit "abusive" to me. It was just as I said a non-sequitur.

I seem to be getting red arrows merely for disagreeing these days (I don't give them either) but if I don't care to read what someone's saying I can always block their posts.

This reminds me of a part of Ken Dodd's act.

Ken stated that it seemed people were not able to have a sensible discussion these days and there was a lot more abuse being bandied about. Then pointedly looking at the audience asked, "What do you think - fishface?"

Allan

RIP Ken.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

It's still quoted above- it doesn't seem in the slightest bit "abusive" to me. It was just as I said a non-sequitur.

I seem to be getting red arrows merely for disagreeing these days (I don't give them either) but if I don't care to read what someone's saying I can always block their posts.

Well at least we can agree to disagree which is not possible with the red arrow brigade. There has been a lot of abuse lately on the forum - I wasn’t necessarily referring to Chuck’s post above, deleted, edited or otherwise.  However,  Bla Bla Bla even is a very inappropriate and rude response in my opinion to Stephen’s post given the quality of the magazine and it’s editors. 

Stephen,

Thanks so much for this. I always read David's posts here and learned much, so have been curious about your magazine. Sorry that rude behavior found it's way here, oddly. 

Downloaded just before link removed. 

A perfect example of bad behavior depriving forum members of useful information.

If you want to understand how deep the bad behavior of a very few on the forum goes, read this. The loss of the personal message function happened around the time of RF, RM, Microstock, keywording, new AIM, and new search function.

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/8007-personal-message-function/

Sometimes red arrows can be warranted. No one talks about green arrows. What do you all think about a bullying post that attracts a lot of green arrows? Is that OK?

Thanks again for the magazine Steve, and restore the link. Please

Guys you can always subscribe. It really is worth it. Great articles, excellent photography and top class reviews which are often a lot more objective than one might find elsewhere. There is a digital version which may be more suitable than the hard copy for those in the USA and Canada. I should add that I have no connection to the magazine at all. I used to buy it off the shelf but the subscription version is a lot cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2018 at 11:22, Bill Brooks said:

A perfect example of bad behavior depriving forum members of useful information.

If you want to understand how deep the bad behavior of a very few on the forum goes, read this. The loss of the personal message function happened around the time of RF, RM, Microstock, keywording, new AIM, and new search function.

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/8007-personal-message-function/

Sometimes red arrows can be warranted. No one talks about green arrows. What do you all think about a bullying post that attracts a lot of green arrows? Is that OK?

Thanks again for the magazine Steve, and restore the link. Please

The thing I noticed, Bill, was that our personal messages weren’t in the least private. They were being read by Big Brother. I’m sure somebody was very amused by reading everyones’ communications thought to be private.  The next thing to happen is when we post our email address so that we can stay in contact, that will be taken from us also. 

The thing that was very strong in my upbringing was fairness. I grew up playing games with other children, and we all heard “No fair” said by one kid or another when somebody cheated or was unfair.  That seemed to be a huge thing, and the culprit straightened up.

It’s not fair to give one a method to message someone then read their messages. You might say, well somebody reported the messages. Not so about everything mentioned.  The bit about sharing info about other agencies proves that. Lordy, I was married to an insanely jealous man and I recognize what I’m seeing.

I would love to have the link, also, Steve. Bless you for sharing it, although I was too late.  David Kilpatrick was always the one person whose posts I never wanted to miss. And he is greatly missed on this forum.  What I loved about him is that he never bragged about himself, his accomplishments, or his knowledge. He just shared what he knew.  He’s the reason I bought my first RX100.

Betty

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

He’s the reason I bought my first RX100.

Betty

Ditto.

Allan

Hi Betty, Happy New Year.

ITMA

Archived