What is meant by "Additional Info"?

On the optional side of adding an image there is an option to add "Additional Info".

I'm wondering what this means exactly (what type of info.) and also if it enhances the ability of my images being "Found"

Does anyone have a thought on this?

Thanks

Scott

29 minutes ago, Scott Gese said:

On the optional side of adding an image there is an option to add "Additional Info".

I'm wondering what this means exactly (what type of info.) and also if it enhances the ability of my images being "Found"

Does anyone have a thought on this?

Thanks

Scott

Additional Info is for a further description of the image, it is not searchable. Click on the question mark - it will give this information. I use this field if the 150 characters in the caption is not enough for the information I would like to supply. Not always used.

Niels Quist

I use the Additional Info field more often than not. For editorial images the caption field alone is often too limited in space to fit a good description of the image without compromising the detail in some way. I like to give as much detail as I think an editor might need to decide if my image is the right one for his/her needs.

I use Lightroom to write the captions  (and keywords). The detailed caption I prepare in Lightroom is automatically transferred into the additional info field on upload to AIM, unless it is shorter than 150 characters, in which case it simply appears in the caption field. 

Additional information would convey anything that you want the buyer to know that doesn't fit into other fields. This might be a long winded description of the photo, including interesting facts that might swing a sale your way and help the buyer use the picture or confirm to the buyer that this is the picture that they are looking for.

I sometimes add information as to why I have marked a picture as containing property e.g. Pointing out a design on clothing that if removed could mean that the image could be used commercially rather than just editorially.

• 2 weeks later...

I make good use of it for a minority of my shots. As others have said, if you feel that the buyer could use additional information, that's where it goes. 

You might be concerned that some of your explanation may lead to unwanted searches, damaging your CTR.  Placing that stuff here avoids the problem.

thanks for bryan directing me here!

those that do use this field, do you use it like key words or more of a structured writing.

any examples? eg i'm a motorsport / car shooter so would it be best to just say names and teams etc or write "lewis hamilton won 1st place at x with y team" or just "lewis hamilton, winner, podium, success, team x - etc etc?

I use it for information that I think the client should be aware of. In the age of Wickipedia I do not use it for information about the subject matter.

For instance I just today input the following additional information.

"This photo illustration is a montage of two images. One image is the bird and the second image the background. The merge is seamless and therefore technically undetectable."

Archived