Is green discoverability really necessary?

Hi everyone.

So this is kind of a follow up question to the one i did a couple months back about when you sold your first photo.

In addition to this i want to ask you how you tag your photos and how important it really is to get it from the yellow bar to green. What i am asking is when you for example have 300 photos would you need to tag them all, all the way to green for them to sell. Or is it possible to still make a bit of money even though they are only tagged until yellow?

Thank you:) 

Tag the images with relevant keywords, 10 supertags, and a long caption under 150 characters. 

I also add location, # people if not zero, and model release if available.  That's it.

Forget about orange versus green.

Edited by Reimar
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Tag the images with relevant keywords, 10 supertags, and a long caption under 150 characters. 

I also add location, # people if not zero, and model release if available.  That's it.

Thank you!

Don't worry to much about getting that bar into the green. It doesn't seem to matter a lot, just attach decent accurate information and move on

To be blunt, you might better spend your time getting up to speed with post processing. Starting with Tower bridge, there are more than a few really far too dark. No amount of keywording or even tagging is going to breath life into those

• Love 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

Don't worry to much about getting that bar into the green. It doesn't seem to matter a lot, just attach decent accurate information and move on

To be blunt, you might better spend your time getting up to speed with post processing. Starting with Tower bridge, there are more than a few really far too dark. No amount of keywording or even tagging is going to breath life into those

Thank you for the answer:)

Ehm I don't think I understand what you meant with the last bit are you talking about my photos or? Just confused sorry?:)

Your images are rather dark and depressing.  Watch out for blocked shadows.   I think Robert is suggesting that brighter images sell much better.

Your images (one is enough) of the Jagermeister doesn't have that name as a tag.  Tags like "depth", "depth of field" or "Young photographer" seem useless.

Think like a buyer.

Edited by Reimar
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Your images are rather dark and depressing.  Watch out for blocked shadows.   I think Robert is suggesting that brighter images sell much better.

Your images (one is enough) of the Jagermeister doesn't have that name as a tag.  Tags like "depth of field" or "Young photographer" seem useless.

Think like a buyer.

Okay thank you. You see I come from YouTube tagging so this is a whole new world for me. Really appreciate that you wanna take the time to answer my question appreciate it!

Post processing is a term which means basically, fixing up your photos a bit before uploading. Just sending your images as they came out of the camera isn't good enough. There are some cheap or free software which will help, but there is some learning to do!

• Love 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

Post processing is a term which means basically, fixing up your photos a bit before uploading. Just sending your images as they came out of the camera isn't good enough. There are some cheap or free software which will help, but there is some learning to do!

Yes I know that I have been a user of Photoshop for 4 years but that was mainly focused on photo manipulation. I just recently got into Lightroom. I'm still working on my style and such but thank you for the feedback. Appreciate it:)

Edited by Mads Thomsen

Mads, I think you have some learning to do before your images will sell here. That goes for post processing of images, tagging, choosing the correct licence and the necessary ticking of property / people, etc.

I don't think your screen is calibrated - probably more brightness than it should have. (Often the case with uncalibrated laptops). That would make your images seem natural on your screen.

Are you Danish? If so try this link, if you don't know anything about calibrators. https://fotografuddannelse.nu/test-din-skaerm/

Niels

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Niels Quist said:

Mads, I think you have some learning to do before your images will sell here. That goes for post processing of images, tagging, choosing the correct licence and the necessary ticking of property / people, etc.

I don't think your screen is calibrated - probably more brightness than it should have. (Often the case with uncalibrated laptops). That would make your images seem natural on your screen.

Are you Danish? If so try this link, if you don't know anything about calibrators. https://fotografuddannelse.nu/test-din-skaerm/

Niels

Yes im Danish and I don't know about my laptop and it's screen calibration thank you for mentioning that. I normally use my desktop computer tho where to me the colours seem to be perfect. I feel like its the whole "stock photo" part thats hard for me. There is so many new things to learn and I'm just starting out. Maybe I should wait a bit:)

25 minutes ago, Mads Thomsen said:

Yes im Danish and I don't know about my laptop and it's screen calibration thank you for mentioning that. I normally use my desktop computer tho where to me the colours seem to be perfect. I feel like its the whole "stock photo" part thats hard for me. There is so many new things to learn and I'm just starting out. Maybe I should wait a bit:)

Your name gave you away - like mine does :)

The same goes for desktop computers - my calibrator took some brightness away. But using the test sheet will help you for now, I think. To work on the calibration and post processing is a good place to start.

- and begin shooting in RAW and edit your images in nearly dark surroundings.

Bare klø på!! :)

Edited by Niels Quist
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

Your name gave you away - like mine does :)

The same goes for desktop computers - my calibrator took some brightness away. But using the test sheet will help you for now, I think. To work on the calibration and post processing is a good place to start.

- and begin shooting in RAW and edit your images in nearly dark surroundings.

Bare klø på!! :)

Jeg skyder i RAW hehe men tak for feedbacken det var noget af det mest brugbare!

• Like 1

The short answer is no, but do think laterally about possible usage.

You will probably have taken an image with a particular use in mind, but do explore possible alternatives. It's not always possible or indeed useful, but occasionally an image will suit a variety of requirements and you need to cover all of those. 

I normally re-visit my shots a few days after keywording.  It's amazing how many errors and/or omissions can be found....

Edited by Bryan

16 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

No, even Alamy's own tutorial video examples have only the few relevant terms that they need.

Goodness only knows who thought of discoverability and why it is there. 

So in Alamy's tutorial we have 8 pictures of a shipwreck, and yet 'shipwreck' isn't a supertag ?

24 minutes ago, geoff s said:

So in Alamy's tutorial we have 8 pictures of a shipwreck, and yet 'shipwreck' isn't a supertag ?

And it doesn't even have the name. It's the famous SS Maheno Wreck. A huge tourist attraction. Even I have pix of it.

18 hours ago, Mads Thomsen said:

Hi everyone.

So this is kind of a follow up question to the one i did a couple months back about when you sold your first photo.

In addition to this i want to ask you how you tag your photos and how important it really is to get it from the yellow bar to green. What i am asking is when you for example have 300 photos would you need to tag them all, all the way to green for them to sell. Or is it possible to still make a bit of money even though they are only tagged until yellow?

Thank you:) 

Not only is it not necessary, it could be positively harmful to your rank. 

On 25/10/2018 at 02:37, Reimar said:

ditto here

• 6 months later...