Should we be encouraging people to post unlicenced watermarked stock images on Twitter (even if only by increasing the number of views)? Isn't it the kind of thing we rail against and are told there is nothing Alamy can do about it?

Let's check if some images from this list of shame are selling.

IYvv4hA7xjwyj_GwxQqTS_DaDNoE8cyquYQ2psY6
Small fry.
But google thinks it's the San Francisco skyline, that doesn't help.

These are selling way better:

5MI8lTqsGV96O99nEfAs3cf4Nr5fKXIiolwXoLHP

cSxnpZVBpaD2aPgOW07a46iiqw76swjGcZUds-EB

T5DZKObTFyw-snBU7W_wUmLUPtHqnq8YkuruQ_Iv

XEzD4OpehguN21NaXyU8j-nPWz3vvg9MdxNUKuo6

Maybe I should produce more bad stock photos.

wim

2 hours ago, funkyworm said:

Ha! I am not sure I should admit it, but one of them is mine!

Just as long as it isn't the one showing someone holding what would be the (very) hot end of a soldering iron (if it were plugged in): that's bordering on criminal.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Alex,

Nice and I am embarrassed to say that I have shot many like this for

clients and they used them.........

Chuck

Chuck, now I'm embarrassed for making fun of them.....Serves me right.

No reason to be embarrassed about work that's bought and paid for.

8 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Does it sell?

wim

I looked up one of the more bizarre ones (gyno eating a sandwich during an exam) and found it being used on several sites!  That was surprising.

Maria

9 minutes ago, MariaJ said:

I looked up one of the more bizarre ones (gyno eating a sandwich during an exam) and found it being used on several sites!  That was surprising.

Maria

That stuff - typical micro of about ten years ago - was, apparently what the buyers wanted then.

Who says the buyer is always right?

Some of the pics, to be fair, were set up in such a way that a designer could add their own copy, or fit them into a composite.

Others really speak of the restrictions of shooting commercially-available images without releases for the most commonly used equipment, and the workarounds which an expert in the field would spot immediately, but maybe not a designer.

But most of them ... <rolls eyes>

3 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Actually, that site filled a 40 minute train ride and the subsequent 20 min bus ride with me having tears running down my face.

Thanks, Alex.

@Joseph: whether we like it or not, it's parody, so "fair use".

Hmm, it may be technically fair use (though I thought the source of each  image ought to be credited in such cases). However, what I'm getting at it that such fine distinction as 'fair use' is probably lost on most non-photogs,  and seeing watermarked images freely used on a Twitter feed simply goes to reinforce the widely held notion that anything (image, text, music)  found on the internet is free and fair game for whatever use people want to make of it. I know I'm preaching to the converted here, but it does jar with me somewhat when I see such usages and even those with a vested interest (the photographers) turn a blind eye to possible infringement. I know we are swimming against the impossibly strong tide of the idea 'the internet is free' but I like to think we are still trying.

The one of the woman holding the soldering iron brought a wry smile.  I started my working life as an apprentice TV engineer and can still remember dropping my soldering iron and instinctively grabbing for it.  You only do it once....

3 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

The one of the woman holding the soldering iron brought a wry smile.  I started my working life as an apprentice TV engineer and can still remember dropping my soldering iron and instinctively grabbing for it.  You only do it once....

Exhaust pipe of a motorbike: same thing, just bigger. Thank heaven for gloves.

wim

33 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

i think sometimes people like cheesy stock photos. Some of these images, I could well imagine being in the tabloid press.

Here's a stock photo I took. Not sure if it's cheesy, but it was shot in Holland.
An antique punitive stock stands in the harbor area of the small city of Elburg, in the Netherlands, Rederij Randmeer in background. Stock Photo

Archived