Reimar

January

15 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Reminded me of Philippe (arterra) of renown. Shall we say a robust temperament.

Ah I see what you mean. No I was born in North London. 

1 hour ago, andremichel said:

No. Why do you ask? 

There is the idea that the Dutch and Belgians are direct to the point of rudeness. In the Netherlands that attribute is attributed to those from the province of Groningen, and to be honest with the number of earthquakes there, they have a right to be miffed. No doubt those in the Groningen attribute the same attribute to those in the city of Groningen. Those in Groningen attribute it to people living on Kerkstraat. Those on the Kerkstraat attribute it to the family Smit who in turn attribute it to Uncle Henkie. So its all his fault. :-)

Marb, beleive it or not, most are trying to help you. It can be a frustrating business, and if I may be so bold as to make a suggestion if it really is getting you down. Start a hobby or a past time which takes you away from it... my allotment has been great and whilst my neighbours may not be to pleased with my ukelele skills* it has brought me a happy diversion (and more stock images.) One of the things many have been saying is that you need quantity, but that is only part of the question, variety is also important. Try other subject matter... it might not work neither, but then you know and you can try something else... its a bit like the Chumbawamba song Tubthumping. And spread your risk... if you are only shooting for Alamy then your risk is going to be higher and disappointment greater. One of the benefits of our work is that we can do it whilst doing other stuff... On Wednesday I had a shoot on the other side of town. Just from cycling to and from the studios I returned with seven stock images for which I am pretty sure there is a market over my agencies (none of which for stills are micro.) And I wasn;t really looking.

* I have asked, they said they didn;t mind... great, I replied, I can get my bagpipes out.

Edited by funkyworm
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Doesn't mean jack squat if nobody is buying them. So that must mean their are better images to choose from.

Or that the buyers aren't looking for these subjects, which to some extent seems to explain my poor sales (looking at AoA). Not saying for a moment that I shouldn't work harder to improve quality.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Marb said:

Ziltch. Nowt. Zero. Squat diddly. Continually adding images is futile. Very depressing.

You've got good/interesting images. Be patient. I'm finding that time is a major factor. Imagine someone writing a book. They may select and download images and write the text, but it can take ages (years) to complete the book (drafts, edits, rewrites, proof reading etc). In many cases the images won't actually be licensed/invoiced until the date at which book is actually published, which may be months or even years after the images were selected.

Mark

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, M.Chapman said:

You've got good/interesting images. Be patient. I'm finding that time is a major factor. Imagine someone writing a book. They may select and download images and write the text, but it can take ages (years) to complete the book (drafts, edits, rewrites, proof reading etc). In many cases the images won't actually be licensed/invoiced until the date at which book is actually published, which may be months or even years after the images were selected.

Mark

Thanks Mark. That makes sense I suppose.

14 hours ago, Marb said:

Thanks. Do you think my keywords ore ok ? Whenever I search for my images they always seem to come up on the front pages.

Be ruthless when you search for your own images.... “abandoned Ford Capri” your image is front page, but “abandoned car” I don’t see you image. Realistically that image is competing in the latter search as an editor looking to illustrate an article with an abandoned car image proabably won’t be interested in the make and model.

Have a try with some generic terms to find your images, I found that a useful process.

40 sales which is very slightly down on January 2017 but about average for me. A higher proportion of distributor sales (25%) than usual

Pearl

On 2/2/2018 at 10:26, spacecadet said:

Quite so.

But there are only so many ways you can give the same well-meant advice especially if it seems that it's being ignored. This is a professional forum, not a ladies' college.

Congratulations. You decided that a "ladies college" is the antithesis of a "professional forum"... without being red-starred. :unsure:

20 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Congratulations. You decided that a "ladies college" is the antithesis of a "professional forum"... without being red-starred. :unsure:

In fact, I gave him a +1 for that statement!

4 hours ago, John Morrison said:

I've got one now. I think you reminded him.

I was just waiting for someone to comment on the "Ladies college" .. :) 

It's easy to say rude things to the avatars on forums, and forgetting about the real people behind them. On the other hand, who else will tell you the truth about your photos? Or at least their personal opinion. Ignore what you find rude, and appreciate the feedback, even if it wasn't what you wanted to hear.

I had 7 sales for $243, but the last 3 was kind of strange PU sales for $9.99 each. I wouldn't expect PU of those type of photos ... oh well ...

• Upvote 1

I know a Dutch woman - she's utterly unbearable!  I guess not all Dutch people are like that...?

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

I know a Dutch woman - she's utterly unbearable!  I guess not all Dutch people are like that...?

Of course they are!

We could fill many threads with that. Maybe not this one though.

wim

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Of course they are!

We could fill many threads with that. Maybe not this one though.

wim

I don't believe that for one minute! :lol:

On 02/02/2018 at 23:33, dmj said:

Be ruthless when you search for your own images.... “abandoned Ford Capri” your image is front page, but “abandoned car” I don’t see you image. Realistically that image is competing in the latter search as an editor looking to illustrate an article with an abandoned car image proabably won’t be interested in the make and model.

Have a try with some generic terms to find your images, I found that a useful process.

Thanks. To be honest, I do have the word “car” as one of my super tags and car inthe title so not sure what you have to do to get on the front page.

7 minutes ago, Marb said:

Thanks. To be honest, I do have the word “car” as one of my super tags and car inthe title so not sure what you have to do to get on the front page.

You don't have the combined tag "abandoned car". Sure, the individual tags will bring it up in a search, but not as high as if you had the phrase tag as well.

Incidentally I think you have a typo- Bangor is a city in Wales.

4 hours ago, Marb said:

It’s a long game, but fortunately all the answers are here on the forum with a lot of experts giving their wisdom (I’m not one of the experts!)

16 hours ago, spacecadet said:

You don't have the combined tag "abandoned car". Sure, the individual tags will bring it up in a search, but not as high as if you had the phrase tag as well.

Incidentally I think you have a typo- Bangor is a city in Wales.

It's strange if you type in a keyword that is a duplicate Alamy doesn't filter it as other sites do so you have to make sure you haven't entered a word twice which is a pain.  I Googled "old Bangor" and that was the spelling that came up. Will correct it though as it seems to be wrong.  Will also look at phrases which I wasn't aware of which makes more work (as well as having to re-keyword every single file again since Alamy decided to change the system Grrrrrr). Thanks for the help folks, much appreciated.

Edited by Marb

Off topic but every time I read the title of this thread my brain wants to extrapolate with "sick and tired you´ve been hanging on me You make me sad with your eyes you´re telling me lies Don´t go, don´t go" :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marb said:

It's strange if you type in a keyword that is a duplicate Alamy doesn't filter it as other sites do so you have to make sure you haven't entered a word twice which is a pain.  I Googled "old Bangor" and that was the spelling that came up. Will correct it though as it seems to be wrong.  Will also look at phrases which I wasn't aware of which makes more work (as well as having to re-keyword every single file again since Alamy decided to change the system Grrrrrr). Thanks for the help folks, much appreciated.

Actually if you try to duplicate a tag it's simply ignored. "Abandoned car", "abandoned" and "car" will be accepted separately as tags.

You may not have been aware of it but the concept of phrases was explained when AIM was launched. It's in here, page 17.

https://www.alamy.com/myupload/help/AIM-InstructionManual.pdf

In any case it's just an extension of putting a phrase in between quotes as we used to do.

Incidentally when I google "old bangor" I get pictures of the Welsh city in the past. The term for a vehicle is "banger" with an E.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=old+bangor&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=ZCd4Wt-bGcistgf7-YSgCg

Obviously if you google a typo you get results for that typo.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Marb said:

Abandoned Ford Capri - 6 images - you're going to be on the first page, since there is only one page

Abandoned Car - 18,448 images - you're competing with people with a higher ranking than yourself

Coming high on a narrow,. multiple word search is, relatively, easy

Coming high on a wide, non-specific , search is much more difficult

km

2 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

Abandoned Ford Capri - 6 images - you're going to be on the first page, since there is only one page

Abandoned Car - 18,448 images - you're competing with people with a higher ranking than yourself

Coming high on a narrow,. multiple word search is, relatively, easy

Coming high on a wide, non-specific , search is much more difficult

km

Seems like a dark art to master but I will have a go. Nice starling murmuration shots by the way! Really good images.

On 03/02/2018 at 15:12, spacecadet said:

I've got one now. I think you reminded him.

:D You nearly got two, I was close to giving away my first ever red to ya, despite respecting your views and comments on here. Usually. That comment was abysmal. But then I thought I'd see your ladies college and raise you a bunch of old anoraks who hang out on a stock photography forum. Even Stevens. 

• Like 2

On 2/2/2018 at 05:26, spacecadet said:

This is a professional forum, not a ladies' college.

Not a Good Ole Boys Club either.