Idiots guide to keywording

Hi all

I have not bothered much with Alamy for a year or two, too busy with other stuff.

I do remember the nightmare that was keywording, I assume/hope that has changed. Could somebody point me at an idiots guide to keywording, or chuck a few tips my way please.

Mark

My usual routine is to go to the Microstock keyword  site at

https://keyword.io/tool/stock-photo-research

Copy a bunch of kw, then paste them into Lightroom's Library module. Lastly, fix them up later in the Image manager after they have been accepted.

It usually goes fairly  quickly

Rick

Welcome back.

Opinions are divided -IME the new AIM is  easier to use. I see you don't over-tag (yes, I'm afraid they're called "tags" now) so your legacy images should have transferred over quite well. Just make sure that the tags which have transferred over as supertags- usually the first 6 or 8- are the ones you actually want as supers, because they have higher significance (as esskeys used to). You can now combine tags into phrases, which is useful, as they rank higher than single words.

https://www.alamy.com/myupload/help/AIM-InstructionManual.pdf

It's quite a bit harder to remove tags in bulk once they're in place, so getting it right first time is a good idea. Cut and paste no longer works, by and large.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Welcome back.

Did you miss me, good to see that you are still persevering

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Opinions are divided -IME the new AIM is  easier to use. I see you don't over-tag (yes, I'm afraid they're called "tags" now) so your legacy images should have transferred over quite well. Just make sure that the tags which have transferred over as supertags- usually the first 6 or 8- are the ones you actually want as supers, because they have higher significance (as esskeys used to). You can now combine tags into phrases, which is useful, as they rank higher than single words.

https://www.alamy.com/myupload/help/AIM-InstructionManual.pdf

It's quite a bit harder to remove tags in bulk once they're in place, so getting it right first time is a good idea. Cut and paste no longer works, by and large.

Thank you

It seems to me when I made my first submission to Alamy back in the Fall of 2017, they had 70 some million photos in their collection. Today some 140 million,  with these numbers you need some luck and great keywords to have your work discovered in searches.

2 minutes ago, phomme said:

It seems to me when I made my first submission to Alamy back in the Fall of 2017, they had 70 some million photos in their collection. Today some 140 million,  with these numbers you need some luck and great keywords to have your work discovered in searches.

I remember the horror when there were 8 million images :-(

I’m with Mark. (spacecadet)

I think the new AIM is right up in my wheelhouse.

I tag in Bridge before uploading. Those tags are uploaded with the image, so it’s just a matter of selecting supertags. I do use phrases. Instead of deck, cards, I use “deck of cards”, “decorative tiles” baby girl,  piece of chocolate cake, slice of apple pie, etc. I’ll still use some of the singles too.

Betty

It does seem that keywording before uploading makes the Image Manager easier. I'm afraid I am unlikely to make friends with it but it becomes easier to endure.

Paulette

Hi Mark,

You can try MyKeyworder.com.  It can be helpful but keep in mind that it, like so many computer-assisted features, can let you easily slip into auto-pilot mode where you let the site do all the "thinking" for you and you may leave out some keywords that are more appropriate.  Similar to using a GPS - you don't pay as much attention to where you're going and just let the device hold your hand all the way to the final destination.  What I usually do is try and keyword as much as I can on my own and when I run out of ideas I plug in a description into MyKeyworder and hope it fills in the remaining blanks.  Hope that helps.

12 hours ago, Wawa said:

Hi Mark,

You can try MyKeyworder.com.  It can be helpful but keep in mind that it, like so many computer-assisted features, can let you easily slip into auto-pilot mode where you let the site do all the "thinking" for you and you may leave out some keywords that are more appropriate.  Similar to using a GPS - you don't pay as much attention to where you're going and just let the device hold your hand all the way to the final destination.  What I usually do is try and keyword as much as I can on my own and when I run out of ideas I plug in a description into MyKeyworder and hope it fills in the remaining blanks.  Hope that helps.

Have you paid or do you still use free version?

Allan

17 hours ago, NYCat said:

It does seem that keywording before uploading makes the Image Manager easier. I'm afraid I am unlikely to make friends with it but it becomes easier to endure.

Paulette

👍

I also keyword before uploading, but usually end up adding some afterwards.  It does make it so much easier when working in AIM.  And Bridge puts them in AIM in the order you type them, so your supertags should be the first ones in the list as long as you typed them that way in Bridge.

Really have to take a day off and go out with the cameras and do some shooting.  Need a bit of a break from the grind.

Jill

• 7 months later...

Archived