Valencia, Spain?

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Given all this talk of globetrotting and the world as our 'oyster' ( where the heck did that saying come from?) make mes think about an 88 year old friend in the village. She has never ever spent a night out of the village, including the births of her three children. She continues to live a healthy, active life in tune with the seasons, her surrounding and community.

Have the rest of us lost that wisdom?

Perhaps your elderly friend is a fan of Lao Tzu. B)

"Without going outside, you may know the whole world.
Without looking through the window, you may see the ways of heaven.
The farther you go, the less you know.

Thus the sage knows without travelling;
He sees without looking;
He works without doing."

- from the Tao Te Ching (circa 4th century BC)

2 hours ago, MDM said:

Sevilla does have incredibly hot summers as does southern Spain in general. It would not be my choice for permanent living because of the summer heat. 

Weather scientists are telling us that hot summers are probably going to be the new normal for much of the globe, so I wonder if that's as big a consideration as it once was when choosing a place to live. Certainly this summer has been a sizzler. Parts of Canada were probably almost as hot as Seville. There are reportedly some 545 wildfires currently burning in BC due mainly to the hot dry weather.

1 hour ago, funkyworm said:

Coincidently this has come up in recent correspondence I have had with a colleague in Seville and he seems genuinely anxious about his daughters future in the city due to the climate.

BTW  Ed, if Spain is the direction you are looking the North Coast has some lovely cities. (A Coruna, Oviedo, Santander.) And its cooler than the South.

Yikes! It has been hot alright. Just checked Weather Underground, and temps got up to 112 F earlier this month in Seville. You could cook a Spanish omelette on your forehead in that kind of weather. It's only about 83 F today, though.

2 hours ago, Normspics said:

It reinforces my opinion of stock that you could build a very good portfolio from your home and garden or surroundings if you couldn’t have mobility 

... and then there are those annoying travel expenses, the ones you can never hope to recoup.

That said, I love travelling (in moderation), and I hope to be able to do some more of it.

Also, these days, if you stay put, the world will eventually come to you. That's certainly the case in Vancouver anyway.

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Weather scientists are telling us that hot summers are probably going to be the new normal for much of the globe, so I wonder if that's as big a consideration as it once was when choosing a place to live. Certainly this summer has been a sizzler. Parts of Canada were probably almost as hot as Seville. There are reportedly some 545 wildfires currently burning in BC due mainly to the hot dry weather.

I think it is very unpredictable really on a global scale. There is no doubt that the ongoing melting of the ice caps is going to have a massive impact on global climate and that ultimately there will be a huge rise in sea level but exactly what will happen in our lifetimes is not very clear. At the end of the last Ice Age when things began to warm up, melting of ice and its effect on the North Atlantic circulation (Gulf Stream) caused a reversal of the warming process for around 1000 years leading to significant cooling in western Europe before it all warmed up again.

1 hour ago, funkyworm said:

Coincidently this has come up in recent correspondence I have had with a colleague in Seville and he seems genuinely anxious about his daughters future in the city due to the climate.

BTW  Ed, if Spain is the direction you are looking the North Coast has some lovely cities. (A Coruna, Oviedo, Santander.) And its cooler than the South.

I would certainly choose Northern Spain over the south if I was moving that way. I love the mountains right across Spain from Picos de Europa through the Pyrenees. Santander would be high on the agenda but not so sure about A Coruña - too wet and similar to the west of Ireland although somewhat warmer. 

In Oklahoma and Kansas, temps can get up around 107F. But that’s not the norm. I think the hottest, decades ago, was 113.  We’ve had a wet, cooler than normal summer here in Kansas, it has not reached 100, and has only hit 98 a few times. Today the expected high was 80F. The breeze was chilly up until after lunch.

Temperature feels different with opposing humidities. That 112 in Spain might not feel so bad if it’s low humidity. When I lived on the Mohave desert, the daytime temps were scorching, but the humidity was low and it didn’t feel 

as miserable as 90 in Oklahoma with high humidity. When it feels like you step into a steam sauna, that’s bad.

On the Mohave, the minute the sun went down it cooled down remarkably. The heat just radiated up into the sky. I usually reached for a blanket in a few hours of going to bed.

Victoria, Texas, 100 Miles from the Gulf of Mexico was the most miserable summer of my life. A 5 minute shower every day then I watched the steam rise from the pavement. No A/C and I was expecting our first. Then those mosquitoes that resembled helicopters in size....Shoot me.

Betty

On 8/19/2018 at 13:08, NYCat said:

I stayed in the Barrio de Santa Cruz for a ridiculously low price when I visited. It is the old Jewish quarter and as charming as you can get. There was virtually no tourism there at that time because people were boycotting Franco so maybe now that neighborhood is commanding higher prices.

I have what may be a ridiculous suggestion to try with your uploading problems. What if you tried to upload from a different computer? Use a thumb drive or something to bring your images over and then proceed from there. If you could upload from a different machine that would seem to suggest that it is your Mac that Alamy isn't recognizing and if you still can't upload it would seem that it has to do with your account -- not the Mac. You do have a special relationship this year because of your disaster and it seems unlikely that should affect your uploads but maybe it has made a difference. I think Alamy should help you with this and maybe having more information would help.

Paulette

That is a very smart suggestion, Paulette. In fact it's intuitive on several levels. Part one: I bought the thumb drive.

I've been looking at a lot of furnished rentals in Santa Cruz. I hope that's where I'll be. 

https://www.alamy.com/search.html?CreativeOn=1&adv=1&ag=0&all=1&creative=&et=0x000000000000000000000&vp=0&loc=0&qt=santa cruz seville&qn=&lic=6&lic=1&imgt=0&archive=1&dtfr=&dtto=&hc=&selectdate=&size=0xFF&aqt=&epqt=&oqt=&nqt=&gtype=0

OK, ladies 'n gents, I get it. It's hot in Seville in summer. It's hot in Spain in summer. It's hot in the Mediterranean in summer. And yes climate is on my list.

Cost, Cuisine, Climate, Culture, Walkability, and Good Stock Subjects.

It's seems I'll have to give a little somewhere. Costs are low in Saville. Lowish even when they're high. Cuisine looks as if vegetarians might get stoned in the square. Vegans? Get back on the bus! But there is a great variety of food to be had, and I shall have it. Culture? If we're talking about Spanish culture, this town is dripping with it!  And the narrow calles in Santa Cruz demands that I walk. Stock photos? I like everything I see, and I've never been there.

I'll just have to take the heat.

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

OK, ladies 'n gents, I get it. It's hot in Seville in summer. It's hot in Spain in summer. It's hot in the Mediterranean in summer. And yes climate is on my list.

It's seems I'll have to give a little somewhere. Costs are low in Saville. Lowish even when they're high. Cuisine looks as if vegetarians might get stoned in the square. Vegans? Get back on the bus! But there is a great variety of food to be had, and I shall have it. Culture? If we're talking about Spanish culture, this town is dripping with it!  And the narrow calles in Santa Cruz demands that I walk. Stock photos? I like everything I see, and I've never been there.

KK1BBX.jpg

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Stock photos? I like everything I see, and I've never been there.

I'm thinking if somebody was to judge what the west coast of Ireland was like from my photography, then they might think it was always sunny and maybe even pleasantly warm - far from the truth in fact :).  

Best of luck whatever you do Ed. 

42 minutes ago, MDM said:

I'm thinking if somebody was to judge what the west coast of Ireland was like from my photography, then they might think it was always sunny and maybe even pleasantly warm - far from the truth in fact :).  

It is true. We are all guilty of only taking scenic photos in good weather.

Allan

Well! Maybe not all but most.

ITMA

4 hours ago, MDM said:

Thanks for the well wishes, Michael and all.

90-plus % of all travel images are used to promote the location, so magazines, blogs or editorial or marketing websites want to send a message that your holiday will not be ruined by rain.

The accent in Seville is on the first sylable. 

10 hours ago, MDM said:

I remember standing on the beach in Sligo one August day long past, and I was shivering in a winter coat. 

10 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I remember standing on the beach in Sligo one August day long past, and I was shivering in a winter coat. 

The only thing that is predicatable about Irish Atlantic weather is that it is unpredicatable. I've had weeks where I've not seen a drop of rain and I've had weeks where I've hardly seen the sun. Can make for great landscape photography if one is ready for the light and the amazing cloud formations that occur. 

11 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I thought Yogi Berra said that?

No it was Yogi bear's friend. Now what was his name?:)

Allan

I spent several days in Valencia in 2016 as I traveled around Spain and I would pick it as a perfect city to reside in.  Barcelona was also nice, but way to crowded, but Seville would probably be my second choice of a city to check out. 

Archived