Valencia, Spain?

I hear you, gentlemen -- it is indeed very hot in Seville in summer. And Valencia does not look like a walkable city on the Google street view to me. Oh my.

Seville had about 9 or10 days over 37 C this August, and as high as 43 C.  You guys live in England, where I spent 7 years, so high temps are not something you're used to, but above 100 F is . . . bad for anyone.  I lived in NYC for 25 years, almost all without AC. But 110 F? Oh oh my. That's killer heat.

Ian, do you know any specific ports or villages on the Costa Blanca? I have spent time on the Costa del Sol and in Mallorca. 

Edo, wandering the world with a small foldable fan

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I hear you, gentlemen -- it is indeed very hot in Seville in summer. And Valencia does not look like a walkable city on the Google street view to me. Oh my.

Seville had about 9 or10 days over 37 C this August, and as high as 43 C.  You guys live in England, where I spent 7 years, so high temps are not something you're used to, but above 100 F is . . . bad for anyone.  I lived in NYC for 25 years, almost all without AC. But 110 F? Oh oh my. That's killer heat.

Ian, do you know any specific ports or villages on the Costa Blanca? I have spent time on the Costa del Sol and in Mallorca. 

Edo, wandering the world with a small foldable fan

You could always use the very hot few days to catch up with friends in, or just visit, Northern Europe or back in US/Canada. Or you could head up into the mountains for a week or two, have a change of stock scene, and food! It is what the more affluent in India did, probably still do, in the summer; just as many New Yorkers head to the Hamptons or wherever to escape the heat. Less expensive to do in Spain :)

• 3 weeks later...

Autumn is approaching, yet here I sit still waiting for those Irish boyos to send me my passport. (Wait -- I'm an Irish boyo.) :huh:

We've had perfect summer weather here in this attractive French Canadian city, while folks were having their brains melted in Seville. Yes, I have settled on Seville for the immediate future. Heat, heath care, residency will be dealt with when I'm there waving my EU passport around. I will fly to Lisbon, spend two days, then fly to Seville. Summer and the killer heat will be 8 months away when I arrive. Poco a poco, as they say in Spain. I've been taking a daily Spanish lesson on Duolingo, but then I go out and hear French all day. :wacko:

How does Seville brake down?

Walkability: When I do a virtual Google Map street-by-street walk around Seville, I see a mostly flat city and almost nothing that turns me off. :)

Culture: history seems to have left a mostly positive mark on Seville. :)

Cost: consider that a beer in any restaurant in NYC now costs $6 to $9. In Seville it costs $1.40. :D

Cuisine: Seville might be the best restaurant and tapas bar city in Spain, and although it's not on the coast, grilled fresh fish is a main stay.  :D

Climate: No, Seville is not Shangri-la. I will quote Mark Twain. "Everybody talks about the weather but nobody does anything about it." :unsure:

Stock Subjects: Seville is ultra photogenic to my eyes and interests. Does it sell? We'll see. :rolleyes:

People often use the term "touristy"as a negative thing, but tourism is what drives the economy in much of Southern Europe, and there would not be the competitive mix of places to eat without it. Nowhere is more totally touristy than where I lived in Little Italy in New York. And I'm a city boy; when it's too quite I can't sleep. B)

Edo

Pleased to see you are keeping your pecker up Edo and that you have a decision on the place to move to. A lot of positives in your move too that's good.

Allan

You will take a siesta during the hottest part of the day and the windows should have "persianas" that completely block out the light and heat. They are interlocking slats that come down as a blind and I gather they are usually plastic now but used to be all wood and excellent for blocking out the hot sun. If you were managing without A/C in NYC I think you will be fine. The architecture is built to keep out the heat.

Paulette

Decided. I wish you all the best. I sent you an email but if you answered, my email is out of service right now. I’ll have to address that soon, but someone else will have to fix it.

I can’t wait to see you settled, happy and out from under the stress, which is hard on the body. Good luck, Edo.

40 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

My Irish passport just arrived in the post! 

Yipee! Jumping for joy here.

You will be in and settled well before Christmas at this rate.

Allan

57 minutes ago, JeffGreenberg said:

IIRC, you are 80+??? (if you are NOT, apologies in advance)

Have to admire you ongoing willingness for new adventures!

You have my years on Earth correct, Jeff. And willing or not, the adventure is about to begin! 

Thank you all for wishing me well, and for all the help that was given in that first scary month. 

Eduardo Ruan (A bit of Spanish and some Irish there) :D

Congratulations!

Please keep us posted when the next Seville meet-up is scheduled.

Take your time, we all understand it will take lots of testing to decide on the right bar. ;-)

Seville is great, they even have a tram. And a TGV train. Annual competition for the best tapas. A canal cruise. Their lunches however are murder. No wonder why they need those long siestas.

wim

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Congratulations!

Please keep us posted when the next Seville meet-up is scheduled.

Take your time, we all understand it will take lots of testing to decide on the right bar. ;-)

Seville is great, they even have a tram. And a TGV train. Annual competition for the best tapas. A canal cruise. Their lunches however are murder. No wonder why they need those long siestas.

wim

Poco a poco. They call lunch "The Meal," I understand. Hopefully, all the bars will be the right bar. I don't eat dinner, and I've been taking a daily 30-minute siesta since Rome in 1965. It says "European Union" in both English and Gaelic across the cover of my new passport. :D

All the best Edo. I am sure you will make the move work for you. You have adapted successfully many times in the past

I hope we get back to Sevilla before too long, if we do we will look you up. We loved our previous visits but then we had our daughter as a resident guide.

All the best

Martin

Archived