Valencia, Spain?

Montreal winters are frigid alright. On average, Montreal is about 10 degrees F colder in January than NYC, which is one of the main reasons why I now live on the relatively balmy (but expensive) West Coast. I agree, flat, cheap and warm is definitely the way to go. A decent and accessible healthcare system is obviously super important as well.

As I said, there are lots of nice Spanish port towns. Since apartment rentals are all in my possible range (except for Barcelona), I am looking at the other factors I listed to decide. I don't consider Cadiz a stock photo town. No offense. And the north of Spain on the Atlantic is another world. I don't need more towns on my list. What I need is a replacement for my Irish passport. 

Jorge, I can actually pronounce your name in the Spanish way. After I damaged my voice box trying. :o

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

As I said, there are lots of nice Spanish port towns. Since apartment rentals are all in my possible range (except for Barcelona), I am looking at the other factors I listed to decide. I don't consider Cadiz a stock photo town. No offense. And the north of Spain on the Atlantic is another world. I don't need more towns on my list. What I need is a replacement for my Irish passport. 

Jorge, I can actually pronounce your name in the Spanish way. After I damaged my voice box trying. :o

Check on here for Irish Passport, I recently renewed mine online and received the new one in less than a week, great service:D

https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/

Phil

Thanks so much for that info, Phil. We Irish lads living in Spain must stick together.

I will read that link carefully later today. I have a lot of bookmarks on Irish matters but don't think I've seen this one before. I'm in touch with the consulate rep here in Montreal, who said she will get back to me, toot sweet (my French spelling is worse than my English spelling). 

Edo, the semi-Irish, sort of Spanish, homeless dude. 

On 7/27/2018 at 03:57, Phil Crean said:

Check on here for Irish Passport, I recently renewed mine online and received the new one in less than a week, great service:D

https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/

Phil

I hope you're having nice Sunday, Phil. if you get a chance, please email me at:  edoruan@gmail.com

I need to ask you a couple of things I don't want in an open forum. Gracias. 

On 29/07/2018 at 18:33, Ed Rooney said:

I hope you're having nice Sunday, Phil. if you get a chance, please email me at:  edoruan@gmail.com

I need to ask you a couple of things I don't want in an open forum. Gracias. 

WEATHER WARNING.

Edo, there was a weather warning on the news last night (writing this at 9.35am 2nd) about there being a heat wave on the Iberian peninsular for temperatures reaching 47 degrees C with the fact there will be deaths caused by this heat.

Just thinking of your health and wellbeing but are you sure you want to live there?

They weather people are saying this is going to become the norm over the next few years.

Best wishes

Allan

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

WEATHER WARNING.

Edo, there was a weather warning on the news last night (writing this at 9.35am 2nd) about there being a heat wave on the Iberian peninsular for temperatures reaching 47 degrees C with the fact there will be deaths caused by this heat.

Just thinking of your health and wellbeing but are you sure you want to live there?

Right you are, Allan. I do checking the weather, but already decided that high summer is not the best time to look for long-term rentals in the Med. 

I take note of the other comments. Thanks, gang. None of this is easy or straight forward. 

1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:

Right you are, Allan. I do checking the weather, but already decided that high summer is not the best time to look for long-term rentals in the Med. 

I take note of the other comments. Thanks, gang. None of this is easy or straight forward. 

They build cool in Spain.

Even in Andalucia in October last, baking outside, it was pleasantly cool indoors. It's designed in, so aircon doesn't seem to be necessary in many places.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

They build cool in Spain.

Even in Andalucia in October last, baking outside, it was pleasantly cool indoors. It's designed in, so aircon doesn't seem to be necessary in many places.

I understand the concept, Mark, having lived in Rome . . . but temps are routinely higher now.

There's a jungle swamp in the south west tip of Vietnam called the U-Ming Forest. Ming mean light (Ho Chi Ming, the bringer of the light). When you place the 'U' in front of a word it changes the meaning to the opposite. So it's the Forest of Darkness, the hottest, most humid and most terrible place I've ever been. 

As I may have said, I won't miss New York, but I will miss having it as a stock subject.

7 hours ago, funkyworm said:

Just another point to take regard of... without wanting to discourage.

Banking and other official business.

When moving to another country banks and official institutions sometimes seem to contrive to put you into Kafkaesque catch 22 situations which can have you banging your head against the wall. For instance, banks want proof of residence before you open an account, landlords want proof of a local bank account before they rent. That is just a hypothetical example... but based on experiance.

I suppose that electronic banking has made things a bit easier. When in Latin America, I seldom have trouble withdrawing money electronically from my Canadian bank accounts. You're right, though, to open a bank account in a "foreign" country you usually need a proof of residence, Catch 22 for sure. I guess the trick is to find a sympathetic landlord.

This morning's homepage image on Alamy is of Old Town in Estepona on the south coast of Spain. Just last night, this smaller port went to the top of my list of places to go. Would that be a good sign or bad sign?

I'm still in Montreal, still working on the Irish passport problem.

Edo

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

This morning's homepage image on Alamy is of Old Town in Estepona on the south coast of Spain. Just last night, this smaller port went to the top of my list of places to go. Would that be a good sign or bad sign?

I'm still in Montreal, still working on the Irish passport problem.

Edo

Estepona looks like a very pleasant town. Salubrious climate too.

I always take synchronicities (meaningful coincidences) very seriously.

On 8/2/2018 at 11:22, Ed Rooney said:

I understand the concept, Mark, having lived in Rome . . . but temps are routinely higher now.

There's a jungle swamp in the south west tip of Vietnam called the U-Ming Forest. Ming mean light (Ho Chi Ming, the bringer of the light). When you place the 'U' in front of a word it changes the meaning to the opposite. So it's the Forest of Darkness, the hottest, most humid and most terrible place I've ever been. 

As I may have said, I won't miss New York, but I will miss having it as a stock subject.

Very good attitude to have, Ed. My circumstances have brought me to Wichita, Kansas.  In normal circumstances, I would have stayed in Oklahoma City. 

Sometimes circumstances happen beyond our control, and we must traverse the bumps in the road and find a new normal. I don’t look back, and I don’t wish for something I no longer can have.  I’m looking forward and making the best of it that I can. I’m finding things to take joy in, although that is harder, these days. I actually like it here! I’m finding I’m not missing OKC, but like you, I’ll miss the greater photo ops I had.

Yet I must admit, packing up a house with 9 rooms and unpacking it just about did me in. Mentally and physically.

Ed, I think with your background of travel, you’ll land softly and carry on. Two hard parts for you, and that was dealing with the uncertainty of everything after the fire and whether you’d get your home back. That’d now done and past. 

Now, figuring our how to do all the parts of relocating. Those will eventually fall into place. I’m looking forward to seeing where you land and the images you’ll produce there.

Betty

On 8/2/2018 at 01:39, Allan Bell said:

WEATHER WARNING.

They weather people are saying this is going to become the norm over the next few years.

Best wishes

Allan

Yes, the heat is on by the sounds of it.

We have had a cooler than average spring and summer.  Spring planting of flowers were delayed a month because of so many April freezes. We’ve not hit 100 yet...can easily be 105-107. Cool fronts are coming through earlier than norm. And the storms that go with.

Just had an inch of rain last night, and temps in the 80s F today. Rainfall was 1 1/2 inches above normal for July.

I can’t complain, other than we had some killer humidity for some stretches in June-July.

Betty

Yikes! Maybe I should write a thank you note to the Irish passport office for taking so long to process my Irish documents?  Very cool of them, it turns out. 

As you all can see, I've changed my ID snap to a cooling beer with a polar bear on the glass. I do what I can.

Edo

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

The Daily Express headline rotates between Extreme Killer Weather, Miracle Cures for the Elderly, House Price Increases, anti-EU/ anti-immigration/ anti-Muslim rants, and Madelaine McCann 'updates'

Edo, if you ever find out you've had an image in the UK Sun, Mail or Express, (probably Mirror as well), just bite your tongue and take the money. For the sake of your sanity on no account visit their websites.

• 2 weeks later...

My lovely niece and her terrific husband live in Southern Spain. We were planning a visit in September but as our grandson is due to arrive then, we've put it off until spring. Anyway, I can see how close they are to Valencia and put you in touch with her if you have questions. She's lived there around 3 years I think (hailing from NJ) and he is Spanish. My only trip to Spain was in 1979 when I had three semesters of college Spanish (and a boyfriend who was fluent). Spent a little time in Madrid and Segovia - the people were warm and friendly and I got by with them practicing their English and me my Spanish. 

My sister-in-law loves the area where my niece lives and would like to retire there. She's still working so no final decision yet. 

I've heard great things about retiring there. 

If you want, I'll reach out to my niece and see if she can give you any advice. She's in her 30's and hubby in his 40's so young but not so young. LMK The town she's in - which doesn't spring to mind right now - has a US Air Force base nearby. She was working there. They live in a house across the street from the beach. My daughter was there in May-June 2017 and said it was heaven. 

Moron Air Base is inland from the Costa del Sol.

My email is edoruan@gmail.com

I would be interested in exchanging a few words with your niece. I've been to Spain a number of times.  

Thanks, Marianne

Archived