When I pop my clogs...

"Pop my clogs"?  That's a new one on me, John. :rolleyes:

I must set that up myself. I trust Alamy to always do the right thing; they have with me. Or, since it is a legal matter, ask a solicitor.

John, how is the USB flap on your Sony RX100/3 holding up? 

Edo

21 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Not on me, I've been using that expression all my life (probably a Northern English term; Lancashire or Yorkshire). I'm so old now that I no long clean my clogs, as I expect to pop them very soon.

28 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I must set that up myself. I trust Alamy to always do the right thing; they have with me. Or, since it is a legal matter, ask a solicitor.

John, how is the USB flap on your Sony RX100/3 holding up? 

Edo

Hi Edo

My father came from Bolton, Lancashire and wore clogs in the early 1900s.  I guess that's the area where Steve knows it from too - a Northern term.

No problem with my flaps so far.  I have two secondhand RX100/3s - one my wife uses.  Also had an RX100/1 when they first came out.  The flaps are rather delicate so I treat them with 'Kid Gloves'.  Fingers crossed.  :)

John

I keep a spreadsheet of all financial info to be passed to our children in the event of.......

It includes details of how to log in to Alamy and change our bank details to theirs. That’s all that is needed.

I’ve grown up with the term ‘pop one’s clogs’ so it’s probably northern England. Pop is another word for pawn so when someone died their work clogs were pawned for a little cash. 

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

I keep a spreadsheet of all financial info to be passed to our children in the event of.......

It includes details of how to log in to Alamy and change our bank details to theirs. That’s all that is needed.

I’ve grown up with the term ‘pop one’s clogs’ so it’s probably northern England. Pop is another word for pawn so when someone died their work clogs were pawned for a little cash. 

Also "Pop goes the Weasel".

Believe "Weasel" was a hat.

Allan

33 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Also "Pop goes the Weasel".

Believe "Weasel" was a hat.

Allan

Alternative theory, Cockney rhyming slang - Weasel and Stoat = coat

'Pop my clogs' is very common around here (Manchester).  When I was a young lad in the early 1950s, when the world was black and white* and we still had house coal deliveries, I can remember the coal merchants always wore clogs.

*sometimes literally when the smog came down...!

2 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

It probably isn't.

The contract is with you and ends on your death.

Alamy is unlikely to permit a different name on the account.

I think the Dutch wear clogs, but do they pop them? They may not even wear them anymore. I'll have tp check with Wim. My favorite Brit saying from my Oxfordshire days was, "Pull the other one, it's got bells on it." 

Mark, are saying we can't leave the earnings from Alamy to others??? 

4 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Actually, it isn't.

So Alamy automatically pulls our images from their database after we cash in our chips (assuming that someone tells them about it)?

Just now, John Mitchell said:

So Alamy automatically pulls our images from their database after we cash in our chips (assuming that someone tells them about it)?

I meant changing the bank account beneficiary online.

I would expect them to require contact from the executor before they would act. I mentioned this in the duplicate thread.

I have two wills.

One will that covers my entire net worth, except my photography.

A second will that covers my photography only, to be administered by my executor. The executor can do anything, always in the best interests of the estate, with the photography. This is not specified in the will, but he/she could sell the images outright and add the money to the estate, collect the Alamy sales money and then distribute it amongst my heirs on an ongoing basis, close the business down, donate photos to a charity or educational institution in return for a tax exemption for my estate. It is up to the executor to make any judgement in these matters, or any other devices that come to his/her mind.

My wife also has two wills that accomplish the same things. We have always been 50/50 in our marriage so this makes it easier.

If my wife survives me, she is the executor and sole heir for both my wills.  If I survive my wife, I am the executor and sole heir for both of her wills. If we are both dead, there are a number of undeserving heirs with a media lawyer as the executor.

I would not want Alamy to become involved in splitting sales money to pay heirs. Alamy pay the money to the estate, and have the executor split the money. The estate could run your Alamy account if it wants to, if you leave a proper will.

Everyone, regardless of their net worth, or age, or health, should have a will. When you set up any will, consult a lawyer.

2 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I meant changing the bank account beneficiary online.

I would expect them to require contact from the executor before they would act. I mentioned this in the duplicate thread.

Thanks. You must mean this one. I thought you could only pop your clogs once.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

It probably isn't.

There was a thread a long time ago about doing something like this. I can’t make the link work but if you do a forum search for ‘ alamy income heirs’ it’s the only thread that is found.

Quote: Alamy  did mention that it would be useful if the will had a specific clause clarifying who the images on the Alamy account are being bequeathed to. The beneficiary can then contact Alamy (preferably with a copy of the will confirming that they are the new rightful owner, and then Alamy will give the new beneficiary access to the account.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

It probably isn't.

That cannot be the case if the account in a limited company - which is an entity in is own right.

57 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

There was a thread a long time ago about doing something like this. I can’t make the link work but if you do a forum search for ‘ alamy income heirs’ it’s the only thread that is found.

Quote: Alamy  did mention that it would be useful if the will had a specific clause clarifying who the images on the Alamy account are being bequeathed to. The beneficiary can then contact Alamy (preferably with a copy of the will confirming that they are the new rightful owner, and then Alamy will give the new beneficiary access to the account.

That was what I took away from that old conversation -- i.e. the beneficiary can contact Alamy in order to get account access. I imagine that it would also be a wise idea to let Alamy know your intent before you hop the twig.

Which reminds me, I still haven't gotten around to updating my will. :huh:

14 hours ago, Matt Limb said:

That cannot be the case if the account in a limited company - which is an entity in is own right.

I'm well aware of that but when an individual asks a question about an account in his own name I think my answer is appropriate.

I think the main thing about wills is to avoid a situation where solicitors/lawyers/executors gobble up significant chunks of your assets. When it comes to photographs it's relatively simple; you leave the copyright to someone specifically (preferably someone actively interested in your photography) or set up a trust and then it is down to them to proceed with Alamy or other agencies. It would do no harm to drop Alamy a note in advance of any clog popping, but don't expect them to get actively involved while your feet are still on the ground. Or in your clogs. more likely to be crocs theses days

Archived